Re: [mythsoc] Re: bloopers (was Cliches and....)

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2003
      From: <jamcconney@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 3:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: bloopers (was Cliches and....)

      > "People travel at high speeds on the Interstate and miss seeing the real
      > world, which is located in Pennsylvania."

      <giggle> Jerry Coleman, who used to be the play-by-play guy for the San
      Diego Padres, was famous for such dangling clauses. My favorite, which I'll
      never forget, went something like this, after the fellow up at bat hit one
      to deep center field: "There's a deep fly ball...Winfield [or somebody]
      goes back, back...ow, his head hits the wall...now it's rolling towards
      second base." I think they put Coleman out to grass shortly after I moved
      away from San Diego, which is too bad; he goofed up a lot but he had
      personality, and most of the newer guys doing play-by-play sound like they
      all graduated from the same school.

      Ernest.