Re: Cliches and hackneyed expressions (was Re: Zhivago / Fionavar / Green Angel Tower WAS Re: [mythsoc] Not finishing books, was famfic)

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 8:58 AM
      Subject: Re: Cliches and hackneyed expressions (was Re: Zhivago / Fionavar /
      Green Angel Tower WAS Re: [mythsoc] Not finishing books, was famfic)

      > Oh well. Spelling is such a small thing, really.

      It isn't really spelling in these cases, so much as the substitution for the
      correct word with another that makes complete nonsense of the
      expression--_and the writer doesn't even notice_. It's not that he can't
      spell; it's that he doesn't know the meaning of the words he's bandying
      about. I mean, "pouring over a book," really! Nobody with an iota of sense
      could possibly let that one by, but there it is; I've seen it before too.

      Of course we're all guilty of slipping up from time to time; I noticed a few
      choice mistakes in one of my posts from yesterday. But we shouldn't be
      proud or protective of our mistakes. If I stuff up I want someone to tell
      me. Many people, though, if you tell them that they've just spoken or
      written nonsense, are affronted and start talking a line about how "English
      is a living language"--as if any usage, however illiterate, were of equal
      worth and expressiveness.

      Ernest.