Re: Elsie Dinsmore ? & others

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
      Lizzie, visit http://members.aol.com/dwalheim/merelewis.html
      to read archives or to go ahead and sign up for MereLewis.

      You might like to try the now-famous and controversial HARRY POTTER -- see
      what =you= think. Or for something deeper, and darker, but extraordinarily
      well-written, the new trilogy by Philip Pullman. Vol. 1, THE GOLDEN COMPASS,
      I liked better than Vol. 2, THE SUBTLE KNIFE. The third volume won't be out
      until next spring.

      Mary S
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 1999
        Hi Diane,

        Actually I like Lovecraft, find him enjoyable kitschy and I live in NYS so I
        get a charge out of the New England inbred scene things. Modern dark stuff,
        though, it's a little too haunting. Uh, the fellow who wrote "Silence of the
        Lambs," ... I read his "Red Dragon." Very Scary! Does that help?

        I can take tons of kidding, just don't like to be condescended to ... don't
        think anyone does. The English girls' school thing, sounds worth looking
        for, sniff sniff sniff...

        Lizzie
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 1999
          ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > From: ERATRIANO@...
          >
          > Thanks for the welcome, Mary. I do read George MacDonald.. at least I did.
          > Just his name slipped me mind LOL. See, I knew you'd know whom I meant!

          Welcome to the fold, Lizzie! We love fresh meat and
          n/e/w/v/i/c/t/i/m/s!

          > Oh, Elsie is terrible, at least so far. I was hoping they'd get better, or
          > wondering if there was a terrible reputation. [snip] Has anyone else heard
          > of them?

          I suspect that Elsie has deservedly gone into the literary dustbin of
          history, and should remain anonymous. (Of course, the same can be said
          of my own fantasies!) This is the first time I ever heard of them. Cath
          Filmer-Davis (fellow Mythopeoic Society member from Austrailia---we call
          them "Mythies") once told me about a series of English girls' school
          books which were (she said) awfully good, but I can't recall either
          title or author. We were tramping through the National Cathedral at the
          time, and I had no notebook paper and pen along. I suspect it was NOT
          Dinsmore!

          > Haven't read much for a few years, very rusty, VERY rusty... same for writing.
          >
          > What about Ouroboros? That was good. But the others are all fragmentary...
          > I started on Fish Dinner in Memison I think, and gave up.

          I hate to admit, I have E. R. Eddison, but have not read it.

          > Any current recommendations, folks? Or do I need to go dig out my old
          > favorites to restart my reading?
          >
          > Lizzie

          Reccommendations? [in evil tone with reverberating echo] Heh, heh,
          heh!

          No, you don't have to dig out your old stuff, though CSL always
          alternated a new book with an old one, not a bad reading practice.
          We'll start with *High House* by James Stoddard, a book which will
          remind you of MacDonald a great deal. I just finished a really great
          book by Darrell Schweitzer called *Mask of the Sorcerer,* which I hope
          to nominate for the MFA. [Mythopoeic Fantasy Award; I'm on the
          Committee.] Catch: it's only available from the SF Book Club, and in
          Britain. It's not on Amazon.com, amazingly enough. And I will also
          reccommend anything---I mean anything---by Connie Willis, Dan Simmons,
          and Gene Wolfe. Each of these three have written a lot, and if you want
          titles, or more details, I'm sure there are Web Sites out there on all
          of these. Simmons is also a horror writer, so if you don't like that
          genre, stick to titles like *The Hollow Man* (which concerns telepathy).

          Now, I also should ask you: how dark do you like to go? Figuring
          *Watership Down* as a three, Lovecraft as a ten (in the same territory
          as *Millenium,* the TV show), *Babylon 5* as a five or six in its most
          intense episodes, and Mary Poppins as a one on the darkness scale (Adult
          Scale. It changes when we're talking about children). Can you give me a
          general sense of your emotional comfort level?

          This will help me. I made the mistake once of reccommending a Newberry
          winner, *The Giver* to a friend whom I thought shared my tastes. I
          liked Elfquest (which she reccommended), and several other things. I
          had been very impressed with *The Giver*, but she hated it, thought it
          was far too dark for children. I have a feeling she won't take my
          reccommendations very seriously henceforth! So, I need a "darkness
          meter." In terms of darkness, I can go pretty high in literature, but in
          movies, it's a notch or two lower. [I have a blood-tooth for vampire
          stories, but am picky.] This would determine for me if I'd reccommend
          that you read, ohh, Neil Gaiman, for instance. He can be pretty dark,
          but he's also *very good.* Once again, welcome, and I look forward to
          *lots* of good lit-chat. ---djb.
        • Paul F. Labaki
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
            I've been awqy from my machine for awhile, so I appologize for sounding off
            on this a little bit late. I would like to strongly second Mary's
            recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
            but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
            well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
            and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
            emotionally, as few are. The magical elements he integrates, while profound
            and pervasive, while retaining a subtlety that prevents them from dominating
            the story or overshadowing character or action. Pullman, here, is
            inventive, original and engaging, and is most of all, fun.

            A merry and blessed Christmas to all.

            Peace,

            Paul Labaki

            ----------

          • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
              In a message dated 12/21/1999 2:04:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              sheik@... writes:

              << I would like to strongly second Mary's
              recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
              but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
              well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
              and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
              emotionally, as few are. >>
              Oh it stinks being so long out of college and out of the reading loop... can
              I search for these books at amazon.com because I suspect that is the ONLY way
              I will ever find them... much as i love browsing the used and new bookstores.

              ANyone live in te NY/Mass area? I am thinking of Rodgers Book Barn in
              Craryville/Hillsdale NY.

              Lizzie
            • David Lenander
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
                These books are easily available in paperback editions or via your public
                library.

                _The Golden Compass_ received the Carnegie Medal in Britain ( often described as
                the British equivalent of the U.S. Newbery Medal), under its original title of
                _Northern Lights_ (I think it was). I don't think they're as fine as some
                others do, particularly the second volume, but they're far-better written than
                the _Harry Potter_ books, and until the sensational success of the latter, I
                would have thought that Pullman's books were just about the most successful
                children's fantasies of the past few years in terms of their sales. For me, the
                Kara Dalkey duo of _Little Sister_ and _The Heavenward Path_ are books that I
                would recommend, but these may be harder to find. I just finished our past
                MFA-winner (for _Owl In Love_) Patrice Kindl's _The Woman in the Wall_, and it's
                almost as good as _Owl_, and quite different in many ways.

                ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                > From: ERATRIANO@...
                >
                > In a message dated 12/21/1999 2:04:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > sheik@... writes:
                >
                > << I would like to strongly second Mary's
                > recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
                > but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
                > well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
                > and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
                > emotionally, as few are. >>
                > Oh it stinks being so long out of college and out of the reading loop... can
                > I search for these books at amazon.com because I suspect that is the ONLY way
                > I will ever find them... much as i love browsing the used and new bookstores.
                >
                > ANyone live in te NY/Mass area? I am thinking of Rodgers Book Barn in
                > Craryville/Hillsdale NY.
                >
                > Lizzie

              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 1999
                  David Lenander wrote:

                  >_The Golden Compass_ received the Carnegie Medal in Britain ( often
                  described as
                  >the British equivalent of the U.S. Newbery Medal), under its original
                  title of
                  >_Northern Lights_ (I think it was). I don't think they're as fine as some
                  >others do, particularly the second volume, but they're far-better written
                  than
                  >the _Harry Potter_ books

                  Not that Harry needs me to defend him, but I'd say that Pullman's books
                  aren't better written than Rowling's, they're just written very
                  differently, for very different audiences -- in the first instance, for
                  Pullman and Rowling themselves, who are poles apart. The Harry Potter books
                  are well written for what they are, clever, witty, entertaining, with very
                  sympathetic characters; if they weren't, they wouldn't be flying off the
                  shelves so quickly, nor would their readers be so remarkably enthusiastic
                  about them.

                  But I agree that _The Golden Compass_ is better than _The Subtle Knife_.
                  Both books should be much better known; the other day, I recommended them
                  to a part-time elementary school teacher who hadn't heard of them. _The
                  Golden Compass_ is compelling, and haunts the memory. _The Subtle Knife_
                  doesn't hold together quite as well, though it too has its moments, and I
                  may think better of it as a whole on a second reading. It's been so long,
                  I'll need to re-read both books before the third, _The Amber Spyglass_, is
                  published in May.

                  Wayne Hammond