Re: Elsie Dinsmore ? & others

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
      Thanks for the welcome, Mary. I do read George MacDonald.. at least I did.
      Just his name slipped me mind LOL. See, I knew you'd know whom I meant!

      Oh, Elsie is terrible, at least so far. I was hoping they'd get better, or
      wondering if there was a terrible reputation. ggg. The books are back I
      think as a resource for homeschooling or something. There is a doll to go
      with them, actually I really want the doll LOL and you can see her at
      www.elsiedinsmore.com, there is another URL but I don't know it offhand. The
      doll is adorable; the books are, oh, awful! Too bad. Has anyone else heard
      of them?

      I may check out the other list too (MereLewis), tell me more about it...

      Haven't read much for a few years, very rusty, VERY rusty... same for writing.

      What about Ouroboros? That was good. But the others are all fragmentary...
      I started on Fish Dinner in Memison I think, and gave up.

      Any current recommendations, folks? Or do I need to go dig out my old
      favorites to restart my reading?

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
        Lizzie, visit http://members.aol.com/dwalheim/merelewis.html
        to read archives or to go ahead and sign up for MereLewis.

        You might like to try the now-famous and controversial HARRY POTTER -- see
        what =you= think. Or for something deeper, and darker, but extraordinarily
        well-written, the new trilogy by Philip Pullman. Vol. 1, THE GOLDEN COMPASS,
        I liked better than Vol. 2, THE SUBTLE KNIFE. The third volume won't be out
        until next spring.

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 1999
          Hi Diane,

          Actually I like Lovecraft, find him enjoyable kitschy and I live in NYS so I
          get a charge out of the New England inbred scene things. Modern dark stuff,
          though, it's a little too haunting. Uh, the fellow who wrote "Silence of the
          Lambs," ... I read his "Red Dragon." Very Scary! Does that help?

          I can take tons of kidding, just don't like to be condescended to ... don't
          think anyone does. The English girls' school thing, sounds worth looking
          for, sniff sniff sniff...

          Lizzie
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 1999
            ERATRIANO@... wrote:

            > From: ERATRIANO@...
            >
            > Thanks for the welcome, Mary. I do read George MacDonald.. at least I did.
            > Just his name slipped me mind LOL. See, I knew you'd know whom I meant!

            Welcome to the fold, Lizzie! We love fresh meat and
            n/e/w/v/i/c/t/i/m/s!

            > Oh, Elsie is terrible, at least so far. I was hoping they'd get better, or
            > wondering if there was a terrible reputation. [snip] Has anyone else heard
            > of them?

            I suspect that Elsie has deservedly gone into the literary dustbin of
            history, and should remain anonymous. (Of course, the same can be said
            of my own fantasies!) This is the first time I ever heard of them. Cath
            Filmer-Davis (fellow Mythopeoic Society member from Austrailia---we call
            them "Mythies") once told me about a series of English girls' school
            books which were (she said) awfully good, but I can't recall either
            title or author. We were tramping through the National Cathedral at the
            time, and I had no notebook paper and pen along. I suspect it was NOT
            Dinsmore!

            > Haven't read much for a few years, very rusty, VERY rusty... same for writing.
            >
            > What about Ouroboros? That was good. But the others are all fragmentary...
            > I started on Fish Dinner in Memison I think, and gave up.

            I hate to admit, I have E. R. Eddison, but have not read it.

            > Any current recommendations, folks? Or do I need to go dig out my old
            > favorites to restart my reading?
            >
            > Lizzie

            Reccommendations? [in evil tone with reverberating echo] Heh, heh,
            heh!

            No, you don't have to dig out your old stuff, though CSL always
            alternated a new book with an old one, not a bad reading practice.
            We'll start with *High House* by James Stoddard, a book which will
            remind you of MacDonald a great deal. I just finished a really great
            book by Darrell Schweitzer called *Mask of the Sorcerer,* which I hope
            to nominate for the MFA. [Mythopoeic Fantasy Award; I'm on the
            Committee.] Catch: it's only available from the SF Book Club, and in
            Britain. It's not on Amazon.com, amazingly enough. And I will also
            reccommend anything---I mean anything---by Connie Willis, Dan Simmons,
            and Gene Wolfe. Each of these three have written a lot, and if you want
            titles, or more details, I'm sure there are Web Sites out there on all
            of these. Simmons is also a horror writer, so if you don't like that
            genre, stick to titles like *The Hollow Man* (which concerns telepathy).

            Now, I also should ask you: how dark do you like to go? Figuring
            *Watership Down* as a three, Lovecraft as a ten (in the same territory
            as *Millenium,* the TV show), *Babylon 5* as a five or six in its most
            intense episodes, and Mary Poppins as a one on the darkness scale (Adult
            Scale. It changes when we're talking about children). Can you give me a
            general sense of your emotional comfort level?

            This will help me. I made the mistake once of reccommending a Newberry
            winner, *The Giver* to a friend whom I thought shared my tastes. I
            liked Elfquest (which she reccommended), and several other things. I
            had been very impressed with *The Giver*, but she hated it, thought it
            was far too dark for children. I have a feeling she won't take my
            reccommendations very seriously henceforth! So, I need a "darkness
            meter." In terms of darkness, I can go pretty high in literature, but in
            movies, it's a notch or two lower. [I have a blood-tooth for vampire
            stories, but am picky.] This would determine for me if I'd reccommend
            that you read, ohh, Neil Gaiman, for instance. He can be pretty dark,
            but he's also *very good.* Once again, welcome, and I look forward to
            *lots* of good lit-chat. ---djb.
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
              I've been awqy from my machine for awhile, so I appologize for sounding off
              on this a little bit late. I would like to strongly second Mary's
              recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
              but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
              well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
              and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
              emotionally, as few are. The magical elements he integrates, while profound
              and pervasive, while retaining a subtlety that prevents them from dominating
              the story or overshadowing character or action. Pullman, here, is
              inventive, original and engaging, and is most of all, fun.

              A merry and blessed Christmas to all.

              Peace,

              Paul Labaki

              ----------

            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
                In a message dated 12/21/1999 2:04:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                sheik@... writes:

                << I would like to strongly second Mary's
                recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
                but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
                well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
                and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
                emotionally, as few are. >>
                Oh it stinks being so long out of college and out of the reading loop... can
                I search for these books at amazon.com because I suspect that is the ONLY way
                I will ever find them... much as i love browsing the used and new bookstores.

                ANyone live in te NY/Mass area? I am thinking of Rodgers Book Barn in
                Craryville/Hillsdale NY.

                Lizzie
              • David Lenander
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 1999
                  These books are easily available in paperback editions or via your public
                  library.

                  _The Golden Compass_ received the Carnegie Medal in Britain ( often described as
                  the British equivalent of the U.S. Newbery Medal), under its original title of
                  _Northern Lights_ (I think it was). I don't think they're as fine as some
                  others do, particularly the second volume, but they're far-better written than
                  the _Harry Potter_ books, and until the sensational success of the latter, I
                  would have thought that Pullman's books were just about the most successful
                  children's fantasies of the past few years in terms of their sales. For me, the
                  Kara Dalkey duo of _Little Sister_ and _The Heavenward Path_ are books that I
                  would recommend, but these may be harder to find. I just finished our past
                  MFA-winner (for _Owl In Love_) Patrice Kindl's _The Woman in the Wall_, and it's
                  almost as good as _Owl_, and quite different in many ways.

                  ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                  > From: ERATRIANO@...
                  >
                  > In a message dated 12/21/1999 2:04:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > sheik@... writes:
                  >
                  > << I would like to strongly second Mary's
                  > recommendation of Pullman's trilogy. I am unfamiliar with his other work,
                  > but in THE GOLDEN COMPASS and THE SUBTLE KNIFE his characters are real and
                  > well rounded, the world of his story is utterly believable from the first,
                  > and the result is a series of books that is moving, deep down inside,
                  > emotionally, as few are. >>
                  > Oh it stinks being so long out of college and out of the reading loop... can
                  > I search for these books at amazon.com because I suspect that is the ONLY way
                  > I will ever find them... much as i love browsing the used and new bookstores.
                  >
                  > ANyone live in te NY/Mass area? I am thinking of Rodgers Book Barn in
                  > Craryville/Hillsdale NY.
                  >
                  > Lizzie

                • Wayne G. Hammond
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 22, 1999
                    David Lenander wrote:

                    >_The Golden Compass_ received the Carnegie Medal in Britain ( often
                    described as
                    >the British equivalent of the U.S. Newbery Medal), under its original
                    title of
                    >_Northern Lights_ (I think it was). I don't think they're as fine as some
                    >others do, particularly the second volume, but they're far-better written
                    than
                    >the _Harry Potter_ books

                    Not that Harry needs me to defend him, but I'd say that Pullman's books
                    aren't better written than Rowling's, they're just written very
                    differently, for very different audiences -- in the first instance, for
                    Pullman and Rowling themselves, who are poles apart. The Harry Potter books
                    are well written for what they are, clever, witty, entertaining, with very
                    sympathetic characters; if they weren't, they wouldn't be flying off the
                    shelves so quickly, nor would their readers be so remarkably enthusiastic
                    about them.

                    But I agree that _The Golden Compass_ is better than _The Subtle Knife_.
                    Both books should be much better known; the other day, I recommended them
                    to a part-time elementary school teacher who hadn't heard of them. _The
                    Golden Compass_ is compelling, and haunts the memory. _The Subtle Knife_
                    doesn't hold together quite as well, though it too has its moments, and I
                    may think better of it as a whole on a second reading. It's been so long,
                    I'll need to re-read both books before the third, _The Amber Spyglass_, is
                    published in May.

                    Wayne Hammond