Free downloadable books (was Re: [mythsoc] re: not finishing)

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 12:17 PM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

      > Have you tried blackmask.com?

      No, I haven't; thanks for the reference. I have tried
      http://www.memoware.com/, and downloaded some books from there, e.g. a bit
      of Chesterton and lots of Conan Doyle. The great difficulty with these free
      texts, though, is that they are often poorly formatted and full of scanning
      errors. Only rarely have I found free online texts of reliable quality
      (e.g. the Shakespeare texts to be found at http://the-tech.mit.edu/). I'm
      willing to pay for quality in some cases; I bought my PalmOS Bible, for
      example, rather than relying upon one of the numerous freely downloadable
      texts of doubtful integrity.

      Cheers,

      Ernest.