Branagh cast and miscast (was Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers)

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <WendellWag@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 11:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

      > I think the chief mistake that Branagh made in his version of _Hamlet_ is
      > that he's miscast the main role....As a slick conspirator in _Othello_ or
      a hammy
      > war-leader in _Henry V_ he was well cast, but he's all wrong for Hamlet.

      But _perfect_ as a vain, boastful, and utterly incompetent wizard in _Harry
      Potter and the Chamber of Secrets_, of course :] I loved his small role;
      they couldn't have gotten anyone better, anyone that better conveyed that
      aura of youthful pride and glamour faded by age and easy living.

      > Where do people get the idea that if you're right for one Shakespearean
      role
      > you're right for all of them?

      Well, wouldn't that have been a case in a small theatrical company? Or even
      a larger one headed up by a famous stage actor? Did Junius Brutus, for
      example, act all the leading roles? I honestly don't know.

      > Jacobi was great as Claudius (and he was also
      > great some years ago as Hamlet in a stage version of _Hamlet_ that's
      > available on videotape).

      That I've seen part of, and I desperately want to see it again. The best
      video store in Seattle didn't have it, so I may have to buy it. I think
      Branagh was up to something clever when he cast Jacobi against Brian Blessed
      as his brother. They're both (I'm guessing) about the same age, definitely
      greying and lines, but to me anyway, _Jacobi_ is closer to having "the front
      of Jove". I wonder if Branagh wasn't subtly insinuating that Hamlet's
      overfondness for his father was blinding him to the truth that his mother
      decided to choose the more attractive man.

      Cheers,

      Ernest.
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        In a message dated 3/3/2003 5:46:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > anyway who is the Snape guy?

        The absolutely WONDERFUL comic actor Alan Rickman, who also did brilliant
        work in GalaxyQuest and in Dogma. He's one of the best things about all
        three films (and, IMHO, one of the *only* good things about the HP movies).

        Susan

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          But _perfect_ as a vain, boastful, and utterly incompetent wizard in _Harry
          Potter and the Chamber of Secrets_, of course :] I loved his small role;
          they couldn't have gotten anyone better, anyone that better conveyed that
          aura of youthful pride and glamour faded by age and easy living. >>

          The boys saw that one w/o me. Now I will have to watch for this bit of
          perfect casting when I see is, as I know we'll get the tape eventually.
          (The bits I saw of Two Towers do make me want to see it just for the
          casting bits ditto. I like Theoden's look.) Meanwhile, I do like that guy
          they got to play Snape in the first movie, anyway. Brrrr he gives me the
          curiouses, although he's not as hot as that flying ant in ANTZ. I'm sure
          the actor is nothing like the character he is playing, and I didn't like
          his version of Snape initially (not slimy, just as Hermione is not frizzy,
          but the Brits with their soft water know little of real frizzies w/o help
          from destructive hair products, which Hermione is too young and granola to
          use)... anyway who is the Snape guy?

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia