Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3 4:00 PM
      From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 1:52 PM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

      > I remember being *horrified* the first time I saw the movie and they said
      "it
      > was all a dream". I was also horrified at Judy's age, the stupid lion, and
      > everything else they had cut from the book.

      Roger Ebert lists _The Wizard of Oz_ among his "Great Movies", and defends
      the casting of Judy Garland, saying that a child actress--especially, if I
      may interject, at a time when serious child roles, qq.v. _Night of the
      Hunter_ and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ among others, were still some years
      away--would not have had the depth needed for the role of Dorothy. "When
      she hoped that troubles would melt like lemon drops, you believed she had
      troubles," writes Ebert. But of course he cites her reading--or singing
      rather--of a line that is not Baum's.

      Cheers,

      Ernest.
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3 6:22 PM
        In a message dated 3/2/2003 11:09:09 PM Central Standard Time,
        thiophene@... writes:

        > "Dave"?

        Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

        Anne

        P.S. Yes, I agree with you about Branagh, especially about his tendency to
        get way too cute. And I too loved his Henry V

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3 6:29 PM
          In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:57:50 PM Central Standard Time,
          thiophene@... writes:

          > _Titus
          > Andronicus_ to a child's violent fantasy

          I remember reading the suggestion, not entirely unserious, that Titus
          Andronicus was a collaboration between Marlowe and Shakespeare because it
          would have taken TWO
          twenty-something young men to think up all the horrors.

          Anne

        • Jason M. Abels
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4 6:06 AM
            > Roger Ebert lists _The Wizard of Oz_ among his "Great Movies", and defends
            > the casting of Judy Garland, saying that a child
            > actress--especially, if I
            > may interject, at a time when serious child roles, qq.v. _Night of the
            > Hunter_ and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ among others, were still some years
            > away--would not have had the depth needed for the role of Dorothy. "When
            > she hoped that troubles would melt like lemon drops, you believed she had
            > troubles," writes Ebert. But of course he cites her reading--or singing
            > rather--of a line that is not Baum's.

            Oh, I agree. Once I saw the movie, I knew that judy was right for the role as
            portrayed. Only she could have belted out those songs like that. I try to
            picture Shriley Temple in the role and shudder. Judy was the wrong age for
            book-dorothy. She was just right for movie-dorothy.

            --
            Jason M. Abels
            "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few