RE: [mythsoc] Oz

  • Jason M. Abels
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
      > Oh my favorite part of Oz was that talking flying couch and look what
      > happened to IT.....

      You're thinking of Return to Oz, which as an even worse adaptation (combining
      two books together) and a better movie because it retains the darkness of the
      original book, and, of course, dorothy is cast correctly.

      --
      Jason M. Abels
      "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
        You're thinking of Return to Oz, which as an even worse adaptation
        (combining
        two books together) and a better movie because it retains the darkness of
        the
        original book, and, of course, dorothy is cast correctly. >>

        I wasn't thinking of any movie at all. I read a bunch of the books years
        ago and that flying couch was my favorite character. I never liked the
        Wizard of Oz movie and I only like it a little now because of the funny
        bits (matching the farm boys to the movie characters and stuff like that).
        But now I am curious... how should Dorothy have been cast? I really don't
        remember the various characters all that well.

        Now, the Black Stallion series, in hardback and with illustrations, THOSE I
        covet most seriously.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Ernest Tomlinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
            At 02:57 PM 3/3/2003 , Ernest wrote:

            >I didn't entirely care for Baum's book, when I finally got to it, although I
            >did read a few more. There is a disquieting quality to Baum's writing
            >(although not nearly as depraved as Roald Dahl's.)

            I will merely say that a person who prefers the MGM movie to Baum's book
            will not get the baleful stare from me that a person who prefers Jackson's
            films to Tolkien's book would.

            - David Bratman
          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                At 03:50 PM 3/3/2003 , Ernest wrote:

                >In some alternate universe there is an Ernest Tomlinson who was born in
                >1988, fell in love with Peter Jackson's movies and watched them again and
                >again, and didn't read _The Lord of the Rings_ until 2005. There he is, but
                >I haven't the slightest idea what to make of him.

                If he's like the Ernest I think I'm getting to know through this list, he
                reads the book in 2005 and says, "Wow, this is even better than the
                movies!" Then he re-reads it and says, "You know, it's MUCH better than
                the movies."

                The alternate David Bratman who hadn't read LOTR would probably not have
                gone to see the Jackson films at all. He wouldn't think they would
                interest him.* If someone dragged him anyway, he'd enjoy himself and then
                either forget about it entirely, until one day he picked up the book out of
                curiosity and be even more amazed than the alternate Ernest. He'd think,
                "Why didn't someone tell me about Tolkien years ago?"

                - DB

                *The number of bad-to-mediocre sf and fantasy films that the real David
                Bratman has seen only because he considers himself a science-fiction and
                fantasy fan is depressingly large. Mind you, he's enjoyed many of them,
                but even knowing that ahead of time would not have sent him to them if he
                hadn't been going with friends. He almost didn't go to "Star Wars" at all
                when it premiered, and had to be dragged there; his reaction on emerging
                was "not bad". The number of sf/fantasy films he's seen that he actually
                thought were good outnumbers the bad-to-mediocre ones only if you count
                every episode of "The Prisoner" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" individually.
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 3/3/2003 6:26:58 PM Central Standard Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  > the real David
                  > Bratman

                  how sure are you that you're real?

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                    From: <Stolzi@...>

                    > dbratman@... writes:
                    >

                    > > the real David
                    > > Bratman
                    >
                    > how sure are you that you're real?

                    He's real because he's loved!

                    -- The Velveteen Wife
                  • Jason M. Abels
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2003
                      > Unlike almost everyone here, I'll wager, I didn't read any of Baum's books
                      > until a year or two after I saw _The Wizard of Oz_ for the first time.

                      Not so uncommon. Most kids seem to pass over them these days, and see Wizard of
                      Oz at a very young age. I am quite alone among all the people I know in having
                      read *all* of the Baum books before I saw the movie (I avoided the movie until I
                      was almost 12 because what I knew of it did not make me hopeful)

                      > I shouldn't like the "it was all a dream" gimmick. Did not Tolkien, in his
                      > essay on fairy-stories, call this sort of thing putting a good picture in a
                      > bad frame? Yet I think it works in _The Wizard of Oz_.

                      I think it worked for the audience. The movie was, I think, geared up towards
                      older people as well, and they wouldn't have accepted dorothy simply landing
                      outside the farm and running home. I think it was a necessary convention, but an
                      unfortunate one.

                      > There is a disquieting quality to Baum's writing
                      > (although not nearly as depraved as Roald Dahl's.)
                      Which is why it made such a good children's book. There was that undercurrent of
                      darkness and fear that children know so well

                      > I remember particularly
                      > the scenes in the sequel where the "Wizard" reappears (can't remember the
                      > title of the book, I fear), and gets into trouble with a group of vegetable
                      > people.

                      Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz. I love those little boxes that hold... clouds?
                      rain? I don't remember.

                      In a scene both amusing and creepy, he fights a vegetable sorcerer
                      > by producing pieces of metal, joining them together to form a sword, and
                      > with one stroke slicing the sorcerer in half.

                      > I was also disappointed how
                      > lame were the Wizard's gifts to Dorothy and her companions in his first Oz
                      > book, e.g. giving the Scarecrow a "bran-new [sic] brain". The movie is much
                      > cleverer.

                      Actually, the movie is much simpler. In the book, we see throughout the course
                      that, indeed, the scarcrow can reason quite well, the tin woodsman is quite
                      gentle and loving, and the cowardly lion is quite brave (to save his friends).
                      When they finally get to the wizard, he merely gives them objects which reflect
                      what they already have. He does the same in the movie, but I'm not sure why: we
                      don't actually know that these three have these qualities (Obviously, the
                      Scarcrow doesn't know math very well.)

                      There is, of course, the childish sense, especially with the Scarecrow's gift.
                      The "pins and needles" come in handy in later books when he has to think and
                      work out a problem.

                      > One former friend of mine, an older woman, appreciated the Oz film but
                      > thought it conveyed a bad message, especially about the role of women.

                      Some people read too much into things. It's just a movie.

                      > Dorothy takes no direct action in the film; almost everything she does she
                      > does by accident--"I was just trying to help!" she says a lot. Meanwhile
                      > we're encouraged into sympathy for the Wizard ("I'm a very good man, just a
                      > bad wizard") even though, in both Oz and Kansas, he's a liar and a phony.

                      That's the same case in the book. Baum was very much a beiever in good
                      intentions.

                      I've always personally liked The Land of Oz. I boy turning into a girl? How
                      delightfully racy for 1907.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
                        > > lame were the Wizard's gifts to Dorothy and her companions in his first
                        Oz
                        > > book, e.g. giving the Scarecrow a "bran-new [sic] brain". The movie is
                        much
                        > > cleverer.
                        >
                        > Actually, the movie is much simpler. In the book, we see throughout the
                        course
                        > that, indeed, the scarcrow can reason quite well, the tin woodsman is
                        quite
                        > gentle and loving, and the cowardly lion is quite brave (to save his
                        friends).
                        > When they finally get to the wizard, he merely gives them objects which
                        reflect
                        > what they already have. He does the same in the movie, but I'm not sure
                        why: we
                        > don't actually know that these three have these qualities (Obviously, the
                        > Scarcrow doesn't know math very well.)

                        Well, isosceles triangles aside (an inexcusable lapse that "The Simpsons"
                        brilliantly lampooned once...ah, I remember when "The Simpsons" were funny,
                        but that was before your time, young whippersnapper), I disagree that the
                        movie fails to show us the Scarecrow's intelligence, the Tin Woodsman's
                        heart, and the Lion's courage. One of the first things that the Scarecrow
                        does is trick the talking trees into giving up some of their apples, and
                        later, he devises the plan that gets the three amigos into the Witch's
                        castle. The Tin Woodsman is _always_ a sentimental fool, weeping at every
                        opportunity. And the Lion, well..."I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked
                        Witch or no Wicked Witch. Guards or no guards, I'll tear 'em apart. I may
                        not come out alive, but I'm goin' in there." (He does then ask his friends
                        to talk him out of it, but he goes in anyway.)

                        Ernest.