RE: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

  • Jason M. Abels
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
      > Maybe we shouldn't, because the "it was all a dream?" frame-story of the
      > 1939 Oz film seems to me to be utterly at odds with the feel and spirit of
      > the book, casting a pall over the entire proceedings.

      I black out when she says "There's No place like home" and I wake up when the
      credit's start to roll.

      I remember being *horrified* the first time I saw the movie and they said "it
      was all a dream". I was also horrified at Judy's age, the stupid lion, and
      everything else they had cut from the book. Over time, though, it has become my
      favorite movie because I think it still captures something of the original
      magic.

      > It's still a great
      > movie, but it won't give you much of an idea of what Baum is like. (Even
      > so, I will defend Jackson's LOTR as pretty good films, which won't give you
      > much of an idea of what Tolkien is like.)

      My opinion exactly.

      --
      Jason M. Abels
      "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
          In a message dated 3/2/2003 11:09:09 PM Central Standard Time,
          thiophene@... writes:

          > "Dave"?

          Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

          Anne

          P.S. Yes, I agree with you about Branagh, especially about his tendency to
          get way too cute. And I too loved his Henry V

        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
            In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:57:50 PM Central Standard Time,
            thiophene@... writes:

            > _Titus
            > Andronicus_ to a child's violent fantasy

            I remember reading the suggestion, not entirely unserious, that Titus
            Andronicus was a collaboration between Marlowe and Shakespeare because it
            would have taken TWO
            twenty-something young men to think up all the horrors.

            Anne

          • Jason M. Abels
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
              > Roger Ebert lists _The Wizard of Oz_ among his "Great Movies", and defends
              > the casting of Judy Garland, saying that a child
              > actress--especially, if I
              > may interject, at a time when serious child roles, qq.v. _Night of the
              > Hunter_ and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ among others, were still some years
              > away--would not have had the depth needed for the role of Dorothy. "When
              > she hoped that troubles would melt like lemon drops, you believed she had
              > troubles," writes Ebert. But of course he cites her reading--or singing
              > rather--of a line that is not Baum's.

              Oh, I agree. Once I saw the movie, I knew that judy was right for the role as
              portrayed. Only she could have belted out those songs like that. I try to
              picture Shriley Temple in the role and shudder. Judy was the wrong age for
              book-dorothy. She was just right for movie-dorothy.