Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
      David Bratman said: I await the Jackson-defender types who will tell you
      simply not to think
      about it. ("Branagh's Hamlet is a movie! The Wizard of Oz is ... er, um
      ... another movie!") >>

      (Pauses from deleting movie posts for a sec....) That would require caring
      as much about either of them as one cares about Tolkien. Or maybe care
      isn't the word. The power of something to sweep one away is beyond caring.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Jason M. Abels
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
        > (Pauses from deleting movie posts for a sec....) That would require caring
        > as much about either of them as one cares about Tolkien. Or maybe care
        > isn't the word. The power of something to sweep one away is beyond caring.

        If you want to get into, I can go into quite a bit about Books vs Movies, with
        the Wizard of Oz as my primary example. Both are movies that deviate (sometimes
        greatly) with the source material, even changing character motivations, and yet
        remain true (in my opinion) to the overall *feel* of the book.

        --
        Jason M. Abels
        "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
          At 01:32 PM 3/3/2003 , Jason M. Abels wrote:

          >If you want to get into, I can go into quite a bit about Books vs Movies, with
          >the Wizard of Oz as my primary example. Both are movies that deviate
          (sometimes
          >greatly) with the source material, even changing character motivations,
          and yet
          >remain true (in my opinion) to the overall *feel* of the book.

          Maybe we shouldn't, because the "it was all a dream?" frame-story of the
          1939 Oz film seems to me to be utterly at odds with the feel and spirit of
          the book, casting a pall over the entire proceedings. It's still a great
          movie, but it won't give you much of an idea of what Baum is like. (Even
          so, I will defend Jackson's LOTR as pretty good films, which won't give you
          much of an idea of what Tolkien is like.)

          - DB
        • Jason M. Abels
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
            > Maybe we shouldn't, because the "it was all a dream?" frame-story of the
            > 1939 Oz film seems to me to be utterly at odds with the feel and spirit of
            > the book, casting a pall over the entire proceedings.

            I black out when she says "There's No place like home" and I wake up when the
            credit's start to roll.

            I remember being *horrified* the first time I saw the movie and they said "it
            was all a dream". I was also horrified at Judy's age, the stupid lion, and
            everything else they had cut from the book. Over time, though, it has become my
            favorite movie because I think it still captures something of the original
            magic.

            > It's still a great
            > movie, but it won't give you much of an idea of what Baum is like. (Even
            > so, I will defend Jackson's LOTR as pretty good films, which won't give you
            > much of an idea of what Tolkien is like.)

            My opinion exactly.

            --
            Jason M. Abels
            "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
            vampires!" - Ben Mears, _Salem's Lot_
          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                In a message dated 3/2/2003 11:09:09 PM Central Standard Time,
                thiophene@... writes:

                > "Dave"?

                Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

                Anne

                P.S. Yes, I agree with you about Branagh, especially about his tendency to
                get way too cute. And I too loved his Henry V

              • jamcconney@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:57:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                  thiophene@... writes:

                  > _Titus
                  > Andronicus_ to a child's violent fantasy

                  I remember reading the suggestion, not entirely unserious, that Titus
                  Andronicus was a collaboration between Marlowe and Shakespeare because it
                  would have taken TWO
                  twenty-something young men to think up all the horrors.

                  Anne

                • Jason M. Abels
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                    > Roger Ebert lists _The Wizard of Oz_ among his "Great Movies", and defends
                    > the casting of Judy Garland, saying that a child
                    > actress--especially, if I
                    > may interject, at a time when serious child roles, qq.v. _Night of the
                    > Hunter_ and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ among others, were still some years
                    > away--would not have had the depth needed for the role of Dorothy. "When
                    > she hoped that troubles would melt like lemon drops, you believed she had
                    > troubles," writes Ebert. But of course he cites her reading--or singing
                    > rather--of a line that is not Baum's.

                    Oh, I agree. Once I saw the movie, I knew that judy was right for the role as
                    portrayed. Only she could have belted out those songs like that. I try to
                    picture Shriley Temple in the role and shudder. Judy was the wrong age for
                    book-dorothy. She was just right for movie-dorothy.