Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
      From: <jamcconney@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 8:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers

      > When the 4-hour Hamlet was shown on TV, I really didn't have 4 hours to
      > spare, so I thought I'd tune in for the first bit, just to see how they
      were
      > doing it, and then leave. You guessed it--I was sitting there mesmerized 4
      > hours later and I don't know many times I yelled (at least to myself)
      "Yes!
      > Whoa! Was this guy a dramatist or was he a dramatist!"

      Was he! I admit that Branagh at least showed us that there was nothing
      boring about four hours of "Hamlet", no reason to pare it down by half to
      accommodate modern attention spans. But I believe also that his staging
      showed a paradoxical lack of faith at times in the power of Shakespeare's
      words. He kept goosing things along with an obtrusive visual style and
      melodramatic moments. When Hamlet is in his "wild and whirling" mood after
      speaking with his father's ghost, Branagh makes the camera to shake and the
      earth to split open--why? He interpolates a scene of his and Ophelia's
      having sex; the cynic wonders if this wasn't merely to show off Branagh's
      bod (cf. _Mary Shelley's Frankenstein_). When he says to himself, "And now
      I'll do it," on seeing Claudius at prayer (aside: we've seen far, far too
      little of Derek Jacobi lately), Branagh resorts to that tired cinemagraphic
      trick of showing us something--in this case, Hamlet stabbling Claudius--then
      cutting quickly away to show that it was just a fantasy. Finally, Branagh
      dispatches Claudius in a ridiculous fashion that reminded me of nothing so
      much than the ending of _Dead Again_.

      Branagh's stunt casting of famous actors in walk-on parts did not help.
      Some worked; I think Billy Crystal made a fine gravedigger. Robin Williams
      doing Osric with fey, lisping mannerisms was unforgivable, though, and Jack
      Lemmon shouldn't have been let anywhere near the production. And casting
      big, shambling Gerard Depardieu for a one scene and a few lines doesn't make
      any sense to me.

      (Aside: I have been pleasantly surprised in the past by big-name actors'
      ability to play Shakespeare. I start with the general assumption that
      American actors can't do it, and then I can enjoy those who can. Kevin
      Kline, for example, was brilliant as Bottom in the _Midsummer Night's Dream_
      movie a few years back, but David Strathairn, an actor I admire greatly, was
      no good as Theseus. Marlon Brando did a great Mark Antony in John
      Mankiewicz's _Julius Caesar_ in the '50s; I didn't think he had it in him.
      Best of all, though, is Arnold Schwarzenegger as Hamlet in _The Last Action
      Hero_, and Jack Benny as Hamlet in _To Be or Not to Be_. <grin>)

      > I don't argue with you, Dave--I've never cared too much for Branagh
      myself--
      > but I do give him credit: he has a lot of misses, but when he hits it just
      > right, he hits it right BIG time.

      "Dave"?

      You know, I loved his _Henry V_, and love it still. Some of my movie-buff
      acquaintances would probably kill me for saying this, but his version is
      ever so much better than Olivier's. (For one thing--and a big thing--he
      makes Fluellen a serious character, not a comic butt with a vaudeville Welsh
      accent.)

      Cheers,

      Ernest.
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
        I think the chief mistake that Branagh made in his version of _Hamlet_ is
        that he's miscast the main role. Branagh can't convincingly play a brooding
        character. (And he was too old, but that's a standard problem for
        productions of _Hamlet_.) As a slick conspirator in _Othello_ or a hammy
        war-leader in _Henry V_ he was well cast, but he's all wrong for Hamlet.
        Where do people get the idea that if you're right for one Shakespearean role
        you're right for all of them? Jacobi was great as Claudius (and he was also
        great some years ago as Hamlet in a stage version of _Hamlet_ that's
        available on videotape).

        Wendell Wagner
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
          In a message dated 3/2/2003 11:09:31 PM Central Standard Time,
          thiophene@... writes:

          > I think Billy Crystal made a fine gravedigger.

          Agreed!

          > Robin Williams doing Osric with fey, lisping mannerisms was unforgivable,
          > though

          The costume & mustaches killed me! He looked like he belonged in the Emerald
          City of Oz.

          Cd have done without all the super-sexy stuff about Ophelia, and also the
          idea of Hamlet swinging down on the chandelier (or whatever) in the finale
          was... regrettable.

          But yes, it holds attention all the way through, and I can't forget the
          visual image of the great palace with its wide terrace (like a chessboard on
          which a great game is being played?) alone in the snowy waste.

          That lent authenticity to the part of the play which is on a world-events
          scale: Fortinbras and all that.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
            I thought it was one of those uneven masterpieces -- spot-on perfect in most
            places, squirmingly off in others. But there's another Branagh full-text
            Hamlet I like even better -- the BBC Radio version, also with Derek Jacobi
            as Claudius and with Judi Dench as Gertrude. If you search Amazon with
            "Hamlet BBC", you'll pull it up. It's available on CD and well worth it.

            Janet

            (PS Someone asked what Jacobi's been up to recently -- www.imdb.com
            <http://www.imdb.com> shows he's been very active in 2002, but the last
            thing he's done that I've actually heard of was Gosford Park, which alas I
            have not yet seen.)

            thiophene@... writes:

            > I think Billy Crystal made a fine gravedigger.

            Agreed!

            > Robin Williams doing Osric with fey, lisping mannerisms was unforgivable,
            > though

            The costume & mustaches killed me! He looked like he belonged in the
            Emerald
            City of Oz.

            Cd have done without all the super-sexy stuff about Ophelia, and also the
            idea of Hamlet swinging down on the chandelier (or whatever) in the finale
            was... regrettable.

            But yes, it holds attention all the way through, and I can't forget the
            visual image of the great palace with its wide terrace (like a chessboard on

            which a great game is being played?) alone in the snowy waste.

            That lent authenticity to the part of the play which is on a world-events
            scale: Fortinbras and all that.

            Diamond Proudbrook

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
            27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
            uite=A33405>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=105280394>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                At 11:48 AM 3/3/2003 , Ernest wrote:

                >[Stolzi wrote]
                >> The costume & mustaches killed me! He looked like he belonged in the
                >>Emerald City of Oz.
                >
                ><snort> I don't think I'll be able to get _that_ similarity out of my mind
                >now!

                I await the Jackson-defender types who will tell you simply not to think
                about it. ("Branagh's Hamlet is a movie! The Wizard of Oz is ... er, um
                ... another movie!")

                >one thinks of the rumors that the Nazis approached Edward,
                >the Duke of Windsor (or "Mr. Simpson" as my mother acidly called him)

                Unfortunately for that joke, there really was a Mr. Simpson: he was the man
                that Mrs. Simpson was divorcing in order to marry Edward. And just to be
                further irritating, Mr. Simpson's given name was ...

                - DB
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                  David Bratman said: I await the Jackson-defender types who will tell you
                  simply not to think
                  about it. ("Branagh's Hamlet is a movie! The Wizard of Oz is ... er, um
                  ... another movie!") >>

                  (Pauses from deleting movie posts for a sec....) That would require caring
                  as much about either of them as one cares about Tolkien. Or maybe care
                  isn't the word. The power of something to sweep one away is beyond caring.

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Jason M. Abels
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                    > (Pauses from deleting movie posts for a sec....) That would require caring
                    > as much about either of them as one cares about Tolkien. Or maybe care
                    > isn't the word. The power of something to sweep one away is beyond caring.

                    If you want to get into, I can go into quite a bit about Books vs Movies, with
                    the Wizard of Oz as my primary example. Both are movies that deviate (sometimes
                    greatly) with the source material, even changing character motivations, and yet
                    remain true (in my opinion) to the overall *feel* of the book.

                    --
                    Jason M. Abels
                    "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                      At 01:32 PM 3/3/2003 , Jason M. Abels wrote:

                      >If you want to get into, I can go into quite a bit about Books vs Movies, with
                      >the Wizard of Oz as my primary example. Both are movies that deviate
                      (sometimes
                      >greatly) with the source material, even changing character motivations,
                      and yet
                      >remain true (in my opinion) to the overall *feel* of the book.

                      Maybe we shouldn't, because the "it was all a dream?" frame-story of the
                      1939 Oz film seems to me to be utterly at odds with the feel and spirit of
                      the book, casting a pall over the entire proceedings. It's still a great
                      movie, but it won't give you much of an idea of what Baum is like. (Even
                      so, I will defend Jackson's LOTR as pretty good films, which won't give you
                      much of an idea of what Tolkien is like.)

                      - DB
                    • Jason M. Abels
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                        > Maybe we shouldn't, because the "it was all a dream?" frame-story of the
                        > 1939 Oz film seems to me to be utterly at odds with the feel and spirit of
                        > the book, casting a pall over the entire proceedings.

                        I black out when she says "There's No place like home" and I wake up when the
                        credit's start to roll.

                        I remember being *horrified* the first time I saw the movie and they said "it
                        was all a dream". I was also horrified at Judy's age, the stupid lion, and
                        everything else they had cut from the book. Over time, though, it has become my
                        favorite movie because I think it still captures something of the original
                        magic.

                        > It's still a great
                        > movie, but it won't give you much of an idea of what Baum is like. (Even
                        > so, I will defend Jackson's LOTR as pretty good films, which won't give you
                        > much of an idea of what Tolkien is like.)

                        My opinion exactly.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                            In a message dated 3/2/2003 11:09:09 PM Central Standard Time,
                            thiophene@... writes:

                            > "Dave"?

                            Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa!

                            Anne

                            P.S. Yes, I agree with you about Branagh, especially about his tendency to
                            get way too cute. And I too loved his Henry V

                          • jamcconney@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2003
                              In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:57:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                              thiophene@... writes:

                              > _Titus
                              > Andronicus_ to a child's violent fantasy

                              I remember reading the suggestion, not entirely unserious, that Titus
                              Andronicus was a collaboration between Marlowe and Shakespeare because it
                              would have taken TWO
                              twenty-something young men to think up all the horrors.

                              Anne

                            • Jason M. Abels
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                                > Roger Ebert lists _The Wizard of Oz_ among his "Great Movies", and defends
                                > the casting of Judy Garland, saying that a child
                                > actress--especially, if I
                                > may interject, at a time when serious child roles, qq.v. _Night of the
                                > Hunter_ and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ among others, were still some years
                                > away--would not have had the depth needed for the role of Dorothy. "When
                                > she hoped that troubles would melt like lemon drops, you believed she had
                                > troubles," writes Ebert. But of course he cites her reading--or singing
                                > rather--of a line that is not Baum's.

                                Oh, I agree. Once I saw the movie, I knew that judy was right for the role as
                                portrayed. Only she could have belted out those songs like that. I try to
                                picture Shriley Temple in the role and shudder. Judy was the wrong age for
                                book-dorothy. She was just right for movie-dorothy.