Re: [mythsoc] Seattle stinks

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2 6:37 PM
      From: <tinidril@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 9:39 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Seattle stinks

      > Ernest wrote:
      > > I should have moved to Portland, which has
      > > its numerous flaws too, but at least has
      > > affordable housing and a highway network
      > > consisting of more than Interstate 5 and
      > > the (soon to be demolished to make way for
      > > million-dollar waterfront condos) Alaskan
      > > Way Viaduct.
      >
      > Portland?... have affordable housing?? hahahahaha... only if you also
      > have Seattle-level income to pay for it!

      Well, the few people I know in Portland pay considerably less for housing
      than I and most people I know here...although it's debatable whether, say,
      the Sellwood neighborhood is really Portland. I think that it's probably
      easier to get away with living some distance from the Portland city center
      because there are more options for getting into town than (the Seattle
      equivalent of) slogging your way down crowded I-5 or even more crowded
      I-405. I drive to work at 5:30 to 6:30 in the morning, depending, and
      already by the time the southbound commute from Snohomish County down I-5 is
      stop-and-go. By 7 am it's a parking lot.

      The biggest downside to Portland at least at the moment is that it's still
      got the highest unemployment in the country, or near to it. But Seattle
      isn't much better.

      Ernest.