Seattle stinks

  • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1 9:39 PM
      Ernest wrote:
      > I should have moved to Portland, which has
      > its numerous flaws too, but at least has
      > affordable housing and a highway network
      > consisting of more than Interstate 5 and
      > the (soon to be demolished to make way for
      > million-dollar waterfront condos) Alaskan
      > Way Viaduct.

      Portland?... have affordable housing?? hahahahaha... only if you also
      have Seattle-level income to pay for it!

      But we *do* have excellent public transportation... Which you need
      because the streets are really overburdened, narrow, old, etc... at
      least near the center of town.... and pretty good libraries. Central
      library has the most wonderful collection of old books! One summer I
      followed a mythopoeic trail of authors (before I knew
      what "mythopoeic" was) through those old tomes which included George
      McDonald and Charles Williams and a bunch of others I don't recall
      now.

      God bless! Tinidril
      http://www.xanga.com/tinidril
    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2 6:36 PM
        At 03:46 PM 3/1/2003 -0700, Jane wrote:

        >Well, we could try to imagine Tolkien's reaction to these boondoggles.
        >Would the fact that in San Francisco and Seattle people are actually
        >removing superhighways please him? Or would he be too disgusted by the
        >whole nonsense to care? I don't know whether Tolkien ever expressed his
        >opinion of superhighways or not, but I'll bet he didn't care for them, and
        >I'll also bet that someone on this list knows whether or not he ever
        >commented in writing on the topic.

        Of course Tolkien had comments on this subject. For instance, in Letter
        181, comparing England to the pre-Scouring Shire:

        "I would not say that we had to suffer the malice of Sharkey and his
        Ruffians here. Though the spirit of Isengard, if not of Mordor, is of
        course always cropping up. The present design of destroying Oxford in
        order to accommodate motor-cars is a case."

        The "present design" to which he was referring to was a plan to run a new
        highway through the beautiful Christ Church meadows south of central
        Oxford. Tolkien was totally opposed; so were a lot of other people; and it
        was never built. But it's worth noting that the only alternative presented
        at the time was the status quo: constantly clogged traffic jams in central
        Oxford itself. Only a few years earlier he complained in Letter 135 that
        he had decided to move:

        "This charming house has become uninhabitable -- unsleepable-in,
        unworkable-in, rocked, racked with noise, and drenched with fumes. Such is
        modern life. Mordor in our midst."

        And that was the result of traffic going past his front door that the
        meadows highway would have relieved. Ironic, isn't it? When I first
        visited Oxford some 25 years ago the traffic situation was pretty much
        unchanged from when Tolkien wrote in the '50s, and still very bad. Since
        then it's improved somewhat, due to planning more intelligent than the
        meadows highway design.

        I don't recall anything about Tolkien cheering when various ugly modern
        constructions were torn down, but not much of that was yet being done in
        his day. He certainly had a lot of complaints about new construction going
        up, though. Somewhere in Carpenter's biography is a reference to Tolkien
        moaning "There goes the last of England's arable" whenever he saw new
        buildings replacing a field. He owned a car during the 1930s, but after
        World War II decided not to do so again, largely out of principle. (Though
        he was perfectly willing to ride in other people's cars.)

        - David Bratman
      • Ernest Tomlinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2 6:37 PM