Mythic art?

  • Jef Murray
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      Lizzie,

      I never heard back from anyone...you're the first!
      But maybe my original post was too much of a
      mouthful...?

      I am really more of a worker in natural/mythic
      images than a learned reader of them. There are a
      handful of books that really speak to me, but to tell
      you the truth I've found nothing as compelling as
      Tolkien's Legendarium and images that explore that
      "flavour" of world. This is a "taste" thing. Doesn't
      mean I don't like other types of art...just that those
      are my favorites.

      You can see some of my work at www.marshnest.com.
      This doesn't include much of my explicitly mythopoeic
      work, but it demonstrates my style. Would love
      pointers the websites of others who are also actively
      either creating mythic images or are writing mythic
      stories....

      Jef

      =====
      MarshNest Studios: www.MarshNest.com

      Living in harmony with Creation is about listening to your deepest yearnings for yourself, your community, and the earth. It's also about ignoring crass pro-consumerism advertisements like the following:

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        Jef said:

        You can see some of my work at www.marshnest.com. This doesn't include
        much of my explicitly mythopoeic
        work, but it demonstrates my style. Would love pointers the websites of
        others who are also actively
        either creating mythic images or are writing mythic stories.... >>

        I like your humpback whale. Have you done any coelacanths? snapping
        turtles? Wolverines? Mudpuppies?

        There is Joanna Powell Colbert at www.jpc-artworks.com. She has some
        interesting things. I like her Lugh.

        Susan Seddon Boulet, although gone from this earth, continues to influence
        many besides me. You can find her books on amazon.com and other places. I
        bet if you google her name you'll find a few images, and choose whatever
        site is best for your connection (I have a pokey dialup).

        Actually I have a few pagan artworks sites. I haven't checked them all
        out, but I suspect that many have Arthurian bits in them, some may have
        elves and other Tolclone stuff, but there will also be a good bit of witchy
        type stuff.

        www.poppypalin.net
        http://www.homestead.com/ethereal_art/index.html

        OK I do'nt have as many as I used to. You can find artist websites often
        listed in the artist blurb in Dancing Dragon catalog, as well as among the
        ads in the pagan magazines (SageWoman and PanGaia for example, on this side
        of the pond, and, uhm, I forget the titles of hte ones I picked up in the
        UK).

        There are also quite a few places reviving the art of icon-creation. You
        know, those spooky Byzantine things. I get regular mailings from a place
        in Vermont but of course I can't remember its name at the moment. If
        anyone is interested I will find one of my icon cards and look them up
        though. Both traditional and contemporary images are being made nowadays,
        so whichever flavor you prefer there is probably something you like out
        there.

        And here is a quiz ... hwich Mythological creature would YOU be? I have,
        depending on mood, come up as Pegasus, a dryad, and a Dragon. I want to be
        a Succubus but I guess I'm not mean enough. lol

        http://mysite.freeserve.com/Intereo_Liberi/test3.htm

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Jef Murray <jef_murray@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          Lizzie,

          What a great load of info and pointers! See comments,
          below...

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
          <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
          > Jef said:
          >
          > You can see some of my work at www.marshnest.com. This doesn't
          include
          > much of my explicitly mythopoeic
          > work, but it demonstrates my style. Would love pointers the
          websites of
          > others who are also actively
          > either creating mythic images or are writing mythic stories.... >>
          >
          > I like your humpback whale.

          Thanks!

          > Have you done any coelacanths? snapping
          > turtles? Wolverines? Mudpuppies?

          Have done coelacanths, and plenty of turtles, although
          none that snap. Haven't done wolverines, but _have_ done
          badgers. No mudpuppies, but plenty of frogs. In general, I
          guess I've done more fish and birds than anything else,
          plus I have loads of insect paintings from a few years back...
          mostly scarab beetles, as one might expect ;->

          > There is Joanna Powell Colbert at www.jpc-artworks.com. She has
          some
          > interesting things. I like her Lugh.

          She's OK, but a little too literal for my tastes. I like for an
          artist to suggest and to at least attempt subtlety.

          > Susan Seddon Boulet, although gone from this earth, continues to
          influence
          > many besides me. You can find her books on amazon.com and other
          places. I
          > bet if you google her name you'll find a few images, and choose
          whatever
          > site is best for your connection (I have a pokey dialup).

          Susan's work is closer to my tastes. She leaves much to the
          reader, suggesting much in the way of atmosphere and leaving
          interpretation more open.

          > Actually I have a few pagan artworks sites. I haven't checked them
          all
          > out, but I suspect that many have Arthurian bits in them, some may
          have
          > elves and other Tolclone stuff, but there will also be a good bit
          of witchy
          > type stuff.
          >
          > www.poppypalin.net
          > http://www.homestead.com/ethereal_art/index.html
          >
          > OK I do'nt have as many as I used to. You can find artist websites
          often
          > listed in the artist blurb in Dancing Dragon catalog, as well as
          among the
          > ads in the pagan magazines (SageWoman and PanGaia for example, on
          this side
          > of the pond, and, uhm, I forget the titles of hte ones I picked up
          in the
          > UK).
          >
          > There are also quite a few places reviving the art of icon-
          creation. You
          > know, those spooky Byzantine things. I get regular mailings from a
          place
          > in Vermont but of course I can't remember its name at the moment.
          If
          > anyone is interested I will find one of my icon cards and look them
          up
          > though. Both traditional and contemporary images are being made
          nowadays,
          > so whichever flavor you prefer there is probably something you like
          out
          > there.

          I actually admire iconography tremendously when it's done well. Is
          something I might like to try to tackle one day, myself. I
          particularly like the fact that in the Orthodox faith, icons are
          believed to be _literal_ windows into heaven, and thus facilitate
          prayer and reflection. This "cusp" between worlds has always
          fascinated me.

          > And here is a quiz ... hwich Mythological creature would YOU be? I
          have,
          > depending on mood, come up as Pegasus, a dryad, and a Dragon. I
          want to be
          > a Succubus but I guess I'm not mean enough. lol
          >
          > http://mysite.freeserve.com/Intereo_Liberi/test3.htm
          >
          > Lizzie Triano
          > lizziewriter@e...
          > amor vincit omnia

          Well, I come out as either a dragon or a gorgon, depending on how
          I answer the final question. Don't know how I'd feel about _being_ a
          dragon, but I know I love drawing the beasties. Have quite a few of
          them around the house, glaring down at me from doorframes and
          windowsills. Will have to put some of these up on my website at some
          point....

          Jef