Re: [mythsoc] Re: Seattle stinks

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
      In a message dated 3/1/2003 12:44:44 PM Central Standard Time,
      thiophene@... writes:

      > This boondoggle going to cost billions, disrupt downtown
      > traffic for years,

      Sounds like the "Big Dig" in Boston - how long has =that= been going on?

      But I'm afraid we're straying offtopic, unless one could consider these as
      boondoggles of, ahem, MYTHIC proportions :)

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 10:37 AM 3/1/2003 -0800, Ernest wrote:

        >Also, there's no better view of Seattle to be had than from the
        >northbound deck of the Viaduct.

        I can think of a few as good, including some that don't require one to be
        in a moving car to enjoy them. Some of these also are not themselves
        unsightly. Duwamish Head, just to name one. Ever been out
        there? Unfortunately much of its view of Seattle is blocked by ... the
        Viaduct.

        > Yes, the Viaduct is old and liable to
        >earthquake damage, but why not simply _repair_ it? That must be cheaper
        >than the ludicrous notion of wrecking it and replacing it with a tunnel
        >_under_ Alaskan Way, a notion that puts the lie to all of the developers'
        >fits over the Viaduct's unsafety: it's all fill under Alaskan Way, and a
        >tunnel through it isn't going to be any more earthquake-safe than the top of
        >the Viaduct.

        That depends entirely on how the tunnel is built. It's not the ground that
        makes construction earthquake-unsafe, it's how you build in that
        ground. The Viaduct is not in disrepair in some way that could be fixed
        for less money than building something new: it is unsafe in original
        construction down to its foundations. This was already well-known when I
        was living there, 20 years ago, and it's long past time to do something
        about it. It couldn't be "repaired" without tearing it down to those
        foundations and rebuilding it from scratch. Which is what they're going to
        do, only the new version will be less unsightly.

        I love it when ignorant amateurs complain that the professionals don't know
        what they're doing.

        - David Bratman
      • Jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
          > This boondoggle going to cost billions, disrupt downtown
          > traffic for years,

          Sounds like the "Big Dig" in Boston - how long has =that= been going on?

          But I'm afraid we're straying offtopic, unless one could consider these as
          boondoggles of, ahem, MYTHIC proportions :)

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Ernest and Mary,

          Well, we could try to imagine Tolkien's reaction to these boondoggles.
          Would the fact that in San Francisco and Seattle people are actually
          removing superhighways please him? Or would he be too disgusted by the
          whole nonsense to care? I don't know whether Tolkien ever expressed his
          opinion of superhighways or not, but I'll bet he didn't care for them, and
          I'll also bet that someone on this list knows whether or not he ever
          commented in writing on the topic.

          Jane
        • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
            Ernest wrote:
            > I should have moved to Portland, which has
            > its numerous flaws too, but at least has
            > affordable housing and a highway network
            > consisting of more than Interstate 5 and
            > the (soon to be demolished to make way for
            > million-dollar waterfront condos) Alaskan
            > Way Viaduct.

            Portland?... have affordable housing?? hahahahaha... only if you also
            have Seattle-level income to pay for it!

            But we *do* have excellent public transportation... Which you need
            because the streets are really overburdened, narrow, old, etc... at
            least near the center of town.... and pretty good libraries. Central
            library has the most wonderful collection of old books! One summer I
            followed a mythopoeic trail of authors (before I knew
            what "mythopoeic" was) through those old tomes which included George
            McDonald and Charles Williams and a bunch of others I don't recall
            now.

            God bless! Tinidril
            http://www.xanga.com/tinidril
          • David S Bratman
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
              At 03:46 PM 3/1/2003 -0700, Jane wrote:

              >Well, we could try to imagine Tolkien's reaction to these boondoggles.
              >Would the fact that in San Francisco and Seattle people are actually
              >removing superhighways please him? Or would he be too disgusted by the
              >whole nonsense to care? I don't know whether Tolkien ever expressed his
              >opinion of superhighways or not, but I'll bet he didn't care for them, and
              >I'll also bet that someone on this list knows whether or not he ever
              >commented in writing on the topic.

              Of course Tolkien had comments on this subject. For instance, in Letter
              181, comparing England to the pre-Scouring Shire:

              "I would not say that we had to suffer the malice of Sharkey and his
              Ruffians here. Though the spirit of Isengard, if not of Mordor, is of
              course always cropping up. The present design of destroying Oxford in
              order to accommodate motor-cars is a case."

              The "present design" to which he was referring to was a plan to run a new
              highway through the beautiful Christ Church meadows south of central
              Oxford. Tolkien was totally opposed; so were a lot of other people; and it
              was never built. But it's worth noting that the only alternative presented
              at the time was the status quo: constantly clogged traffic jams in central
              Oxford itself. Only a few years earlier he complained in Letter 135 that
              he had decided to move:

              "This charming house has become uninhabitable -- unsleepable-in,
              unworkable-in, rocked, racked with noise, and drenched with fumes. Such is
              modern life. Mordor in our midst."

              And that was the result of traffic going past his front door that the
              meadows highway would have relieved. Ironic, isn't it? When I first
              visited Oxford some 25 years ago the traffic situation was pretty much
              unchanged from when Tolkien wrote in the '50s, and still very bad. Since
              then it's improved somewhat, due to planning more intelligent than the
              meadows highway design.

              I don't recall anything about Tolkien cheering when various ugly modern
              constructions were torn down, but not much of that was yet being done in
              his day. He certainly had a lot of complaints about new construction going
              up, though. Somewhere in Carpenter's biography is a reference to Tolkien
              moaning "There goes the last of England's arable" whenever he saw new
              buildings replacing a field. He owned a car during the 1930s, but after
              World War II decided not to do so again, largely out of principle. (Though
              he was perfectly willing to ride in other people's cars.)

              - David Bratman
            • Ernest Tomlinson
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003