Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1 4:23 AM
      What the article means, of course, is whether Rowling's work is _like_ the
      Inklings', to which I'd say "of course not," but if we rephrase the
      question and ask if it's in the _spirit_ of the Inklings, I'd say "maybe
      so: it's worth discussing," and to the related question, "Would the
      Inklings have liked and appreciated it?" my guess is "Lewis might very well
      have; Tolkien would probably be revolted." >>

      I think it is worth discussing. I don't know what my opinion is on the
      specific Rowling question, but I have long been developing the opinion that
      the Inkling Spirit today would be perhaps unrecognizable to the Inklings
      Then. After all, the churches probably are, post-Vatican-II and ordaining
      women priests, arguing the various sex and social justice issues, and all
      sorts of such things. There is surrealism and spirituality in the
      non-churched (which was of course true in the Victorian era), and there
      needs must be practicality and stuff in the church (which I would imagine
      there was among veteran Christians such as Tolkien, more than among today's
      peace-raised peoples). We are not hungry enough, we are too content. What
      would the Spirit tell stories about today?

      And keep those Left Behind books away from me. *shudders* Someday when I
      have that much free time to try something I don't want (like anchovies) I
      will, but meanwhile there are too many books I am interested in (like GGK).

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10 4:47 PM
        Thank you, David, for putting this so aptly.

        Peace,
        Paul Labaki

        From: David S Bratman <dbratman@...>
        Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:33:14 -0800
        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

        Lizzie, what do you mean? That writing in the spirit of the Inklings
        should be currently pertinent? Lewis wouldn't think so. He says somewhere
        that nothing goes out of date faster than that which tries hardest to stay
        up to date. (My own phrasing of this, conceived independently, is "Those
        who live by the cutting edge die by the cutting edge.") The Inklings were
        in search of what was eternally up to date, and that is why their 40 to 70
        year old novels are still meaningful and read today. LOTR in particular
        was considered by many to be ludicrously out of step with the current
        concerns of the 1950s, but the Inklings suspected it would wear better than
        many of the more typical cultural artifacts of the era, and they were
        right. Those who admired it when it was new thought it would be a
        masterpiece at any date.

        That spirit is part of what I'm looking for when I'm searching for new
        books in the spirit of the Inklings. I want books that would have been
        just as good if they were published 50 years ago as they are now, because
        those are the ones that will be just as good 50 years from now.

        - David Bratman

        At 07:23 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, Lizzie Triano wrote:

        >I think it is worth discussing. I don't know what my opinion is on the
        >specific Rowling question, but I have long been developing the opinion that
        >the Inkling Spirit today would be perhaps unrecognizable to the Inklings
        >Then. After all, the churches probably are, post-Vatican-II and ordaining
        >women priests, arguing the various sex and social justice issues, and all
        >sorts of such things. There is surrealism and spirituality in the
        >non-churched (which was of course true in the Victorian era), and there
        >needs must be practicality and stuff in the church (which I would imagine
        >there was among veteran Christians such as Tolkien, more than among today's
        >peace-raised peoples). We are not hungry enough, we are too content. What
        >would the Spirit tell stories about today?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
        uite=A33405"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile =
        'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?
        Suite=A33405"; var lrec_altimg =
        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .