Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 28, 2003
      From: "Ernest Tomlinson" <thiophene@...>

      > Has anyone here read the "Left Behind" books? It's hard for me to go a
      week
      > without seeing one, if even only on a supermarket bookshelf, and of course
      > if you go into a Christian bookstore, as I do now and again, you're likely
      > to find a third of the story devoted to "Left Behind" books and spinoffs.
      > And judging from how many "Left Behind" books have come out so far, I can
      > only conclude that the Rapture, when it happens, is going to take a heck
      of
      > a long time to happen. Dash it all, I'm sort of curious. So, just what
      are
      > these books like? Anyone?

      I have read 3 or 4 of them. They remind me most of a Sydney Sheldon
      bestseller that I once read. I was shocked at their simple reading level
      (both the Sheldon and the LB books). The books are primarily dialogue and
      action so they read very fast. (I'm convinced this is one key to their
      popularity -- you can plough through this big book in a very short period of
      time.) It's like reading a transcription of a TV show.

      I'm assuming you're familiar with the basic story outline: the Rapture*
      comes, all the True Believers are taken away, and the non-believing rabble
      is left behind to deal as best they may. The core characters in the first
      book are an airline pilot who was getting a little on the side as he was
      bored with his overly-religious wife (who was taken, of course), their
      college-aged daughter, a young but famous journalist, and an assistant
      pastor who Didn't Really Believe. They fight the rising forces of the
      anti-Christ with all the latest in technology, which amazingly always works
      for our heroes under the least likely of circumstances.

      They're full of holes and inconsistencies but are fun to read, I must admit.
      They're aimed at the modern Christian who believes that the Rapture is a
      mainstream Christian belief. (So for those of us in Christian churches that
      existed before 1800, we're mostly lumped in with those Left Behind.)

      Berni

      *Snarky footnote: the Rapture, the concept of all the living believers in
      Jesus being taken up into heaven and thereby avoiding a period of time of
      great tribulation, was popularized in the nineteenth century by a man named
      Darby. C.I. Scofield ran with this idea and incorporated it into the notes
      for his study Bible edition of the King James version -- this edition was
      very popular in the Baptist church I attended for a while in the 1970s --
      and has been accepted by many Christians as a core Christian belief. I've
      met a number of Christians who do not realize that this is a relatively new
      concept. They think all Christians believe this.
      Stating for the record: I consider myself a Bible-believing
      Christian. I think this is most likely a misreading of the Bible, but hey,
      it could happen. It just rubs me the wrong way that people think that
      Christians have believed this for almost 2000 y ears.
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10, 2003
        Thank you, David, for putting this so aptly.

        Peace,
        Paul Labaki

        From: David S Bratman <dbratman@...>
        Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:33:14 -0800
        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

        Lizzie, what do you mean? That writing in the spirit of the Inklings
        should be currently pertinent? Lewis wouldn't think so. He says somewhere
        that nothing goes out of date faster than that which tries hardest to stay
        up to date. (My own phrasing of this, conceived independently, is "Those
        who live by the cutting edge die by the cutting edge.") The Inklings were
        in search of what was eternally up to date, and that is why their 40 to 70
        year old novels are still meaningful and read today. LOTR in particular
        was considered by many to be ludicrously out of step with the current
        concerns of the 1950s, but the Inklings suspected it would wear better than
        many of the more typical cultural artifacts of the era, and they were
        right. Those who admired it when it was new thought it would be a
        masterpiece at any date.

        That spirit is part of what I'm looking for when I'm searching for new
        books in the spirit of the Inklings. I want books that would have been
        just as good if they were published 50 years ago as they are now, because
        those are the ones that will be just as good 50 years from now.

        - David Bratman

        At 07:23 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, Lizzie Triano wrote:

        >I think it is worth discussing. I don't know what my opinion is on the
        >specific Rowling question, but I have long been developing the opinion that
        >the Inkling Spirit today would be perhaps unrecognizable to the Inklings
        >Then. After all, the churches probably are, post-Vatican-II and ordaining
        >women priests, arguing the various sex and social justice issues, and all
        >sorts of such things. There is surrealism and spirituality in the
        >non-churched (which was of course true in the Victorian era), and there
        >needs must be practicality and stuff in the church (which I would imagine
        >there was among veteran Christians such as Tolkien, more than among today's
        >peace-raised peoples). We are not hungry enough, we are too content. What
        >would the Spirit tell stories about today?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
        uite=A33405"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile =
        'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?
        Suite=A33405"; var lrec_altimg =
        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .