yrderzomenymororses..,

  • wpierce@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 1999
      Last night (2/19/99) I tried to post a comment,
      but found out it was not wrapped and probably
      did not go in. (I hope that remark
      doesn't apply to me as well.)
      I wanted to use a bit of nonsense as an
      introduction to my real message a comment
      on what seems to be the all too frequent
      reference that a particular fantasy epic story
      compares to J.R.R.T.'s work. Even before
      I learned that Middle Earth was Tolkien's
      life work or his views on Mytopoeicism, I
      found it difficult to compare
      stories like: "Ralph Bashki's Wizards" (or more
      recently Terry Goodkind's Wizards series) with
      The Hobbit or the LOTR, or Silmarillion, or
      Lost Stories, or...
      I'm interested in knowing if others feel the
      same way. bill pierce
    • Tom & Maria T
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 1999
        Recently read selectively in a book of fantasy short stories published in
        honor of a Tolkien anniversary (sorry, I can't remember the name of the
        book, or the anniversary event), and found that a lot of the stories written
        in his honor, by his successors, so called, weren't like his work -- only
        one was decidedly similar and very well done. One was a wonderful tale
        similar to Hans Christian Andersen's work. Some were very dissimilar,
        especially in worldview, and in the flavour of the treatment of magic. Just
        a few thoughts for you, from someone new to this field -- have read Lewis,
        Tolkien (Hobbit and LOTR), Charles Williams (have just begun reading),
        Richard Blaylock, and a few others. Maria T.
        >Last night (2/19/99) I tried to post a comment,
        >but found out it was not wrapped and probably
        >did not go in. (I hope that remark
        >doesn't apply to me as well.)
        >I wanted to use a bit of nonsense as an
        >introduction to my real message a comment
        >on what seems to be the all too frequent
        >reference that a particular fantasy epic story
        >compares to J.R.R.T.'s work. Even before
        >I learned that Middle Earth was Tolkien's
        >life work or his views on Mytopoeicism, I
        > found it difficult to compare
        >stories like: "Ralph Bashki's Wizards" (or more
        >recently Terry Goodkind's Wizards series) with
        >The Hobbit or the LOTR, or Silmarillion, or
        >Lost Stories, or...
        >I'm interested in knowing if others feel the
        >same way. bill pierce

        >New hobbies? New interests? Sign up for a new ONElist community.
        >http://www.onelist.com
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 1999
          Tom & Maria T [wttatham@...] wrote:
          > From: "Tom & Maria T" <wttatham@...>
          >
          > Recently read selectively in a book of fantasy short stories published in
          > honor of a Tolkien anniversary (sorry, I can't remember the name of the
          > book, or the anniversary event), and found that a lot of the stories written
          > in his honor, by his successors, so called, weren't like his work -- only
          > one was decidedly similar and very well done.

          This sounds like After the King: Stories in Honor of JRR Tolkien. It was
          not intended to be tales *like* Tolkien, but just stories written by
          fantasists who were influenced by him.

          As to the general topic of using Tolkien's name in vain <g>, I've always
          seen it just as what it is: marketing. And like most marketing, I ignore
          it. It's just a cheap attempt to make a few sales to the gullible.

          "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while
          even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling
          the comfort of their serene presence." - Fred Buechner

          Currently reading: Who Wrote Shakespeare? by John Michell
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 1999
            A comment on what seems to be the all too frequent
            > reference that a particular fantasy epic story
            > compares to J.R.R.T.'s work. Even before
            > I learned that Middle Earth was Tolkien's
            > life work or his views on Mytopoeicism, I
            > found it difficult to compare
            > stories like: "Ralph Bashki's Wizards" (or more
            > recently Terry Goodkind's Wizards series) with
            > The Hobbit or the LOTR, or Silmarillion, or
            > Lost Stories, or...
            > I'm interested in knowing if others feel the
            > same way. bill pierce

            I began cringing years ago when JRRT's name was invoked with reference
            to fantasy, plastered all over everything from soup to nuts. I pay no
            attention to blurbs unless Madeline L'Engle's name is attatched, and I
            don't think she gives her name out to just any author; I trust that
            she's actually read the book and has enjoyed it as much as she says she
            does. Most especially, one can't compare a movie to a boook: these are
            two entirely different artistic media with extremely varied
            requirements.

            As for Terry Goodkind, he's not in Tolkien's league (is anybody?), but
            he's not as bad as Jordan, who needed ten chapters (loooonngg ones) to
            get his characters out on the quest. On the other hand, Martin (George
            RR), even though he's going to have *four more books* in the Song of Ice
            and Fire series after *Clash of Kings*. Yes: that does disturb me.
            Still, I trust him to be much better than either Jordan or Goodkind.
            Still, I wouldn't say he's doing what Tolkien did. You need lots of
            space to re-do the War of the Roses. He's made up his own world, but the
            specifics in it are much more generic than Tolkien's creation. Still, he
            can be very rich, even with generics: cloaks of sable "thick, black,
            and soft as sin."

            I just got my copy of *Clash* at an autograph signing, where I spoke to
            Martin personally. (Also got *Fevre Dream* and *Game* autographed.
            Nice man, Martin.)

            ---djb.
          • gfunk@xxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx)
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24, 1999
              To Diane Baker
              You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
              cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
              Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
              did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.

              "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
              (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
              The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
              And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
              Grace E. Funk
              --------------

              Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333
            • LeslieJ55@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                Comment to MamaT:
                Would be great if you could name the book, and tell us why they are not "in
                the tradition" of Tolkien. "In the tradition of Tolkien" has become a
                catchall phrase for publishers trying to push fantasy books for quite some
                time now. Yet there really isn't a Tradition of Tolkien. Tolkien was very
                unique in almost all of his work. The use of historical truth blended into
                myth( myth is hstory In COLOR: read with Magic)(Please look into the works of
                Joseph Wambaugh). Tolkien reaches into the classsic myth form and through
                subtlety explores the morality play of prejudice, bigotry, the causes of war,
                and the search for liberty and honor. He explores the depths of humanity
                while allowing us to leave our own space (this earth) and see it from another
                side. Fantasy prior to Tolkien had not entered such classically true
                human emotions.
                Since the 60's Tolkien "Phenomena" or TolkienMania, fans of his work (and
                Lewis and others) have grown to be adults attempting to show the impact this
                work has had on their lives, their thinking, and their ideas of what should be
                the fantasy novel. The outpouring is great. THAT is in the Tradition of
                Tolkien.

                Just had to pour out these thoughts.

                LeslieJ55@...
                Hampton,VA
                A Hobbit speaks.
              • LeslieJ55@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                  Maria T.,
                  sorry, one : got your name wrong when I wrote.

                  Secondly: feeling slammed? yeah, that's fandom.

                  A Hobbit Returns.
                  LeslieJ55@...
                  Hampton,VA
                • LeslieJ55@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                    Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

                    Love to hear from you.

                    LeslieJ55@...
                    A Hobbit Returns.
                  • c howlett
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                      Grace,
                      Thanks for the quote from G.K. Chesterton. I've read all his Father
                      Brown's, but never got into his poetry. I wonder if the literary theft was
                      unconscious; such a great line might hover in the back of your mind and
                      resurrect itself as one's own...
                      Christy
                      >You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
                      >cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
                      >Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
                      >did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
                      >
                      >"King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
                      >(Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
                      >The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
                      >And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
                      >Grace E. Funk
                      >--------------
                      >

                      >Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                      >Come see our new web site! http://www.onelist.com
                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 1999
                        At 05:55 AM 2/25/99 EST, LeslieJ55@... wrote:
                        >From: LeslieJ55@...
                        >
                        >Any old Mythies out there from 69-76 Los Angeles?

                        Hi -

                        Lisa Deutsch, San Fernando Valley, 1968-1970 (then I moved to Santa Cruz).
                        It was Paula Sigman's fault! There were only two or three branches when I
                        joined. Mythprint was the only publication. Glen GoodKnight went to every
                        branch meeting. Bonnie Callahan was Bonnie Bergstrom, and Sherwood Smith was
                        Christine Smith. They are both still active! How many other maiden names can
                        I drag up?

                        Lots of us oldtimers still running about after all these years. Must be
                        crazy about fantasy, or something...

                        What's your full name? I'm lousy at remembering names, but I might remember
                        something.

                        Mythically yours,

                        Lisa
                      • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 26, 1999
                          Lisa,
                          good to hear from you. I was Leslie Mardis, strawberry blonde hair, friends
                          with Glen,Bonnie, Bernie, Tasha. You and I used to talk alot.

                          What happened with the group. I know Glen and Bonnie were divorcing when I
                          left in 1976. I married Patrick Maloney, also a member, and I know they had a
                          picnic after that. Bernie started the Phantasie Society for awhile. We saw
                          people off and on when we return to Calif. Pat was in the Navy. I am now
                          getting divorced.

                          I joined the sociiety in Feb 1969 with my friends Dawn Morris, Linda McGee,
                          and Anne Woods. I have photos of you from old yulemoots where we are talking.
                          You might think of me as a hobbit, because I was pretty well known for coming
                          to the 69 Bilbo -Frodo picnic as a Tim Kirk Hobbit with Shoes (from a drawing
                          by Tim). I dated alot of guys in the group: Chris Barzak, Alpajpuri(Paul
                          Novitski) and Chris Mitchell among some.

                          It is good to pick up on old friends. Its been a long long time. I have
                          traveled all over the US, have 2 kids, Brennan 21 married with baby due in
                          April, and Sean , 18 and aspiring writer.

                          Say Hi to anyone you know.

                          Oh, I was mostly San Fernando. Do explain he Paula Sigmon thing.

                          Cheers,
                          Leslie
                        • Diane Baker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 27, 1999
                            Grace E. Funk wrote:

                            > From: gfunk@... (Grace E. Funk)
                            >
                            > To Diane Baker
                            > You wrote "As for Terry Goodkind, he can be very rich, even with generics:
                            > cloaks of sable "thick, black,and soft as sin."
                            > Terry Goodkind did not make up that phrase (even though he may think he
                            > did, I suppose). He is quoting from the poem "Lepanto" by G.K. Chesterton.
                            >
                            > "King Philip's in his closet wiyh the Fleece about his neck,
                            > (Don John of Austria is armed upon the deck)
                            > The walls are hung with velvet that is blacvk and soft aas sin,
                            > And little dwarfs creep out of it and little dwarfs creep in."
                            > Grace E. Funk
                            >
                            > Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                            Thanks for the phrases' origins; Chesterton always came up with
                            wonderful phrases. Actually, I was talking about Martin in the quote,
                            though I did refer to Goodkind earlier. He's only a cut above Robert
                            Jordan---not that great.