surplus books

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      Ernest,

      If you're willing to donate the books, do consider your public library.
      Many have occasional book sales or an ongoing book sale table, or both.
      Even if your books aren't added to the collection, they can benefit the
      library. You will have more shelf space and a warm glow of virtue.

      Jane
    • Ernest Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
        > If you're willing to donate the books, do consider your public library.

        I'll do it. I wonder why the idea hadn't occurred to me before; my last
        resort was going to be the Goodwill or the Sally Ann.

        Cheers,

        Ernest.
      • tghsaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
          > Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:54:17 -0700
          > From: Jane Bigelow <jbigelow@...>
          > Subject: surplus books

          >Ernest,

          >If you're willing to donate the books, do consider your public library.
          Many have occasional book sales or an ongoing book sale table, or both.
          Even if your books aren't added to the collection, they can benefit the
          library. You will have more shelf space and a warm glow of virtue.

          >Jane

          Jane, you beat me to this suggestion 8-) , so I'll just add to it.

          The libraries aren't the only ones who have used book sales. Once a year, a
          local adult literacy group here has taken over (pretty literally) all four
          concourses at a local shopping center for their used book sale. They've
          given it a fun little twist by selling the books by the pound--so as long as
          someone wants to read it, it doesn't matter if it's in "mint condition."

          Groups such as this always depend on volunteers, so are sometimes open to
          spontaneously offered help. The year I discovered the literacy group's
          sale, while browsing I noticed that there were quite a few fantasy books on
          the children's tables that shouldn't have been anywhere *near* the
          children's tables. I mentioned it to one of the "book weighers," who was
          very glad to accept my offer to sort through the books and transfer those I
          thought should be in the adult fiction area--interestingly enough, they had
          a fantasy/science fiction section in the adult fiction area, but I suppose
          there'd been one or more volunteers arranging the books who just hadn't been
          familiar with the genre. I had a really enjoyable hour or so and, yes, "a
          warm glow of virtue." 8-) I'm sure it doesn't surprise anyone here that
          the "by the pound" twist has *added* a lot of books to my collection, too!

          --Trudy