RE: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

  • Jason M. Abels
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
      > You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
      > hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
      > our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
      > the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
      > oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
      > largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
      > essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
      > bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
      > few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
      > nonfiction subjects.

      Sorry. I do love your city. The only other place in the world I'd want to live
      besides home. I've been out there a few times to see the band Pearl Jam (last in
      December 2002).

      Any books I don't like get dropped off at the local library. Has the library
      been approached? Try school libraries, especially the poorer ones. They're
      always on the lookout for books. (if appropriate, of course)

      --
      Jason M. Abels
      "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
        In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:00:42 PM Central Standard Time,
        thiophene@... writes:

        > nestle in
        > an overstuffed armchair in the Classics and Humanities library.

        In my college days, we had a nice reading room like that in the Women's
        College library. I could sit in one of those armchairs and read Tolkien
        (whose RING I discovered in those same stacks one happy day) or whoever all
        evening; but if I had taken a "required reading" book off the reserve shelf
        and sat down to read the assignment... it was always instant slumber. :)

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Ernest Tomlinson
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
            From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>

            > >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that
            we've
            > >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
            > >> matter...
            >
            > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
            far
            > too slowly!

            You're jealous of the books, I'm jealous of the cats. We have more books
            than that but then, we're old.

            Berni
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2003
              I work in a bookstore....
              There's never enough time to read all the books I have
              here,
              but I keep plugging along.

            • Ernest Tomlinson
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003