Re: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
      From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 12:54 PM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

      > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
      far
      > too slowly!

      You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
      hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
      our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
      the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
      oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
      largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
      essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
      bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
      few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
      nonfiction subjects.

      Ernest.
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
        >Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad*
        >books
        >(Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

        Actually this one *might* be bad -- I've only seen it listed by our Book Editor
        as being available for review. I personally like having really good stuff
        in the
        library here, i.e. Robert Holdstock's Merlin's Wood in hardcover, or the
        complete
        run of The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror.

      • Jason M. Abels
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
          > You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
          > hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
          > our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
          > the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
          > oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
          > largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
          > essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
          > bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
          > few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
          > nonfiction subjects.

          Sorry. I do love your city. The only other place in the world I'd want to live
          besides home. I've been out there a few times to see the band Pearl Jam (last in
          December 2002).

          Any books I don't like get dropped off at the local library. Has the library
          been approached? Try school libraries, especially the poorer ones. They're
          always on the lookout for books. (if appropriate, of course)

          --
          Jason M. Abels
          "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
            In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:00:42 PM Central Standard Time,
            thiophene@... writes:

            > nestle in
            > an overstuffed armchair in the Classics and Humanities library.

            In my college days, we had a nice reading room like that in the Women's
            College library. I could sit in one of those armchairs and read Tolkien
            (whose RING I discovered in those same stacks one happy day) or whoever all
            evening; but if I had taken a "required reading" book off the reserve shelf
            and sat down to read the assignment... it was always instant slumber. :)

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>

                > >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that
                we've
                > >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                > >> matter...
                >
                > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
                far
                > too slowly!

                You're jealous of the books, I'm jealous of the cats. We have more books
                than that but then, we're old.

                Berni
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2003
                  I work in a bookstore....
                  There's never enough time to read all the books I have
                  here,
                  but I keep plugging along.

                • Ernest Tomlinson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003