RE: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

  • Jason M. Abels
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
      >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
      >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
      >> matter...

      3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
      too slowly!

      > Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

      Zip! Took the words right from me.

      --
      Jason M. Abels
      "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
        >>> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
        >>> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
        >>> matter...
        >
        >3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
        >too slowly!

        Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
        reviews. It's
        far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
        mythlore
        for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
        Understanding Middle-earth,
        came in recently for review.

      • Jason M. Abels
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
          > Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
          > reviews. It's
          > far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
          > mythlore
          > for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
          > Understanding Middle-earth, came in recently for review.

          Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad* books
          (Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

          --
          Jason M. Abels
          "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
          vampires!" - Ben Mears, _Salem's Lot_
        • Ernest Tomlinson
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
              >Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad*
              >books
              >(Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

              Actually this one *might* be bad -- I've only seen it listed by our Book Editor
              as being available for review. I personally like having really good stuff
              in the
              library here, i.e. Robert Holdstock's Merlin's Wood in hardcover, or the
              complete
              run of The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror.

            • Jason M. Abels
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                > You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
                > hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
                > our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
                > the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
                > oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
                > largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
                > essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
                > bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
                > few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
                > nonfiction subjects.

                Sorry. I do love your city. The only other place in the world I'd want to live
                besides home. I've been out there a few times to see the band Pearl Jam (last in
                December 2002).

                Any books I don't like get dropped off at the local library. Has the library
                been approached? Try school libraries, especially the poorer ones. They're
                always on the lookout for books. (if appropriate, of course)

                --
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                  In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:00:42 PM Central Standard Time,
                  thiophene@... writes:

                  > nestle in
                  > an overstuffed armchair in the Classics and Humanities library.

                  In my college days, we had a nice reading room like that in the Women's
                  College library. I could sit in one of those armchairs and read Tolkien
                  (whose RING I discovered in those same stacks one happy day) or whoever all
                  evening; but if I had taken a "required reading" book off the reserve shelf
                  and sat down to read the assignment... it was always instant slumber. :)

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • Ernest Tomlinson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                      From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>

                      > >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that
                      we've
                      > >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                      > >> matter...
                      >
                      > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
                      far
                      > too slowly!

                      You're jealous of the books, I'm jealous of the cats. We have more books
                      than that but then, we're old.

                      Berni
                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2003
                        I work in a bookstore....
                        There's never enough time to read all the books I have
                        here,
                        but I keep plugging along.

                      • Ernest Tomlinson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003