RE: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

  • Jason M. Abels
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 28, 2003
      > I suppose one could argue that these three virtues =are= expressed in HARRY
      > POTTER.

      In fact, despite Lewis's claim, "hope" and "charity" are not exclusively
      Christian (though, by nature, faith in Christ is exclusively Christian).

      I would further argue that ALL western literature is informed by Christianity,
      because all of western society is informed by Christianity. Even strong atheists
      have been known to say "go to hell."

      > But if one writer says that Harry being saved thro' his mother's love is an
      > example of Christian virtues (which I have seen done), another could riposte
      > that mothers who aren't Christian also love their children and sacrifice for
      > them.

      We *like* redemptive characters. Those that grow and learn and redeem their
      errors. I wouldn't say HP is a "Christian" book anymore than I would say LotR is
      or The Stand is. The Stand (by Stephen King) have *very* strong themes of faith
      and hope and charity running through it, but I wouldn't call it a Christian
      book.

      Maybe I'm just too picky? I assign the term "Christian" to a book that directly
      relates itself to christianity, such as the Narnia books and the Left Behind
      series. (Sorry to mention those in the same sentence. That should not be seen to
      indicate that they are anwhere close to each other in quality and execution.)

      > Anybody here want to root for Christian values in HARRY?

      Sure (Spoilers of books 1 -3)

      Faith. - At the end of Book 1, when he drinks the potion that Hermione has
      chosen.
      Hope. - I don't really have one on this one.
      Charity. - When he defends Dumbledore's name at the end fo Book 2. Also, when he
      uses the time travel in Book 3 not only to save Sirius, but also Hagrid's pet.

      --
      Jason M. Abels
      "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10 4:47 PM
        Thank you, David, for putting this so aptly.

        Peace,
        Paul Labaki

        From: David S Bratman <dbratman@...>
        Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:33:14 -0800
        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Rowling - an Inkling??

        Lizzie, what do you mean? That writing in the spirit of the Inklings
        should be currently pertinent? Lewis wouldn't think so. He says somewhere
        that nothing goes out of date faster than that which tries hardest to stay
        up to date. (My own phrasing of this, conceived independently, is "Those
        who live by the cutting edge die by the cutting edge.") The Inklings were
        in search of what was eternally up to date, and that is why their 40 to 70
        year old novels are still meaningful and read today. LOTR in particular
        was considered by many to be ludicrously out of step with the current
        concerns of the 1950s, but the Inklings suspected it would wear better than
        many of the more typical cultural artifacts of the era, and they were
        right. Those who admired it when it was new thought it would be a
        masterpiece at any date.

        That spirit is part of what I'm looking for when I'm searching for new
        books in the spirit of the Inklings. I want books that would have been
        just as good if they were published 50 years ago as they are now, because
        those are the ones that will be just as good 50 years from now.

        - David Bratman

        At 07:23 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, Lizzie Triano wrote:

        >I think it is worth discussing. I don't know what my opinion is on the
        >specific Rowling question, but I have long been developing the opinion that
        >the Inkling Spirit today would be perhaps unrecognizable to the Inklings
        >Then. After all, the churches probably are, post-Vatican-II and ordaining
        >women priests, arguing the various sex and social justice issues, and all
        >sorts of such things. There is surrealism and spirituality in the
        >non-churched (which was of course true in the Victorian era), and there
        >needs must be practicality and stuff in the church (which I would imagine
        >there was among veteran Christians such as Tolkien, more than among today's
        >peace-raised peoples). We are not hungry enough, we are too content. What
        >would the Spirit tell stories about today?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
        uite=A33405"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile =
        'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2974023.4304644.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?
        Suite=A33405"; var lrec_altimg =
        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/intl_library_of_poetry/yahoo_3
        00x250.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .