Re: [mythsoc] re: not finishing

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
      >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
      >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
      >> matter...
      >
      >Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

      Some do. Particulary the ones that live in the bookcases. Bad plants!

      Reading recommendation -- Sharyn McCrumb's new Ballad novel,
      Ghost Riders, just came in for review. It centres on her seer of the dead,
      Nora Bonesteel, and some very restles Civil war veterans. looks like a
      rather dany novel of magic realism!

    • Jason M. Abels
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
        >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
        >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
        >> matter...

        3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
        too slowly!

        > Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

        Zip! Took the words right from me.

        --
        Jason M. Abels
        "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
          >>> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
          >>> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
          >>> matter...
          >
          >3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
          >too slowly!

          Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
          reviews. It's
          far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
          mythlore
          for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
          Understanding Middle-earth,
          came in recently for review.

        • Jason M. Abels
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
            > Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
            > reviews. It's
            > far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
            > mythlore
            > for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
            > Understanding Middle-earth, came in recently for review.

            Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad* books
            (Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

            --
            Jason M. Abels
            "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
            vampires!" - Ben Mears, _Salem's Lot_
          • Ernest Tomlinson
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                >Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad*
                >books
                >(Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

                Actually this one *might* be bad -- I've only seen it listed by our Book Editor
                as being available for review. I personally like having really good stuff
                in the
                library here, i.e. Robert Holdstock's Merlin's Wood in hardcover, or the
                complete
                run of The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror.

              • Jason M. Abels
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                  > You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
                  > hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
                  > our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
                  > the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
                  > oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
                  > largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
                  > essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
                  > bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
                  > few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
                  > nonfiction subjects.

                  Sorry. I do love your city. The only other place in the world I'd want to live
                  besides home. I've been out there a few times to see the band Pearl Jam (last in
                  December 2002).

                  Any books I don't like get dropped off at the local library. Has the library
                  been approached? Try school libraries, especially the poorer ones. They're
                  always on the lookout for books. (if appropriate, of course)

                  --
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:00:42 PM Central Standard Time,
                    thiophene@... writes:

                    > nestle in
                    > an overstuffed armchair in the Classics and Humanities library.

                    In my college days, we had a nice reading room like that in the Women's
                    College library. I could sit in one of those armchairs and read Tolkien
                    (whose RING I discovered in those same stacks one happy day) or whoever all
                    evening; but if I had taken a "required reading" book off the reserve shelf
                    and sat down to read the assignment... it was always instant slumber. :)

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • Ernest Tomlinson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                        From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>

                        > >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that
                        we've
                        > >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                        > >> matter...
                        >
                        > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
                        far
                        > too slowly!

                        You're jealous of the books, I'm jealous of the cats. We have more books
                        than that but then, we're old.

                        Berni
                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2 3:17 PM
                          I work in a bookstore....
                          There's never enough time to read all the books I have
                          here,
                          but I keep plugging along.

                        • Ernest Tomlinson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3 5:28 PM