re: not finishing

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
      Fellow readers,

      Why should any of us feel obliged to finish a book, unless it contains
      information that we need in order to meet some other obligation? I've
      occasionally been embarassed when a friend recommended something that I
      simply couldn't finish; it's hard to find a polite alternative to telling
      someone that the book they loved makes you want to take the shredder to it
      and give the results to the cat.

      That's a different problem, though. Does anyone on this list have time
      enough to read all the books, short stories and so on that he or she would
      like to read? (If so, how did you achieve this?) I'll struggle on for
      perhaps a hundred pages if the book was recommended by someone whose
      opinions I respect, or if I'm making one of my periodic attempts to broaden
      my literary horizons. After that, it becomes another example of "Life is
      too short to..."

      If I find myself thinking of housework that really should be done, that's
      it for the book unless I have company coming *soon*.

      Jane
    • juliet@firinn.org
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
        On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:24:21PM -0700, Jane Bigelow wrote:
        > Why should any of us feel obliged to finish a book, unless it contains
        > information that we need in order to meet some other obligation? I've
        > occasionally been embarassed when a friend recommended something that I
        > simply couldn't finish; it's hard to find a polite alternative to telling
        > someone that the book they loved makes you want to take the shredder to it
        > and give the results to the cat.

        Or, with our cat, you could cut out the middle man. One of his favorite
        pastimes is shredding paper with his teeth. So if any of you need a book
        or two destroyed, I'm sure he'd be glad to help. ;)
      • Jason M. Abels
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
          > That's a different problem, though. Does anyone on this list have time
          > enough to read all the books, short stories and so on that he or she would
          > like to read? (If so, how did you achieve this?) I'll struggle on for
          > perhaps a hundred pages if the book was recommended by someone whose
          > opinions I respect, or if I'm making one of my periodic attempts to broaden
          > my literary horizons. After that, it becomes another example of "Life is
          > too short to..."

          I have a queue of books in bookshelf that I need to read. I *generally* take a
          week or so to finish a book (less time now that I'm graduated), and I end up
          buying about 5 - 10 a month. You do the math.

          But, I don't' give a book more than a chapter. If it doesn't interest me, it
          goes back on the shelf rather quickly. Sometimes, if I'm in a mood, I'll plow
          through one of these "putbacks" and finish them. I had some false starts with
          the latter HoME series.

          What is really agonizing is when I get the urge to re-read something I've read
          before, because I know it means that will mean one new book I won't read in my
          lifetime. I don't usually mind, though, especially when it's LotR!

          In fact, the last time I re-read the Lord of the Rings (September 2002), I
          stopped just as Sam and Frodo left Faramir, and I haven't been back. I got
          sidetracked by too many other reading projects... Now I'm hoping to hold out
          until after movie 3.0 comes out. I don't know if I can, though. I would really
          like to wait until the extended DVDs are all out, watch them all, and then read
          the book again.

          --
          Jason M. Abels
          "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
              "Or, with our cat, you could cut out the middle man. One of his favorite
              pastimes is shredding paper with his teeth. So if any of you need a book
              or two destroyed, I'm sure he'd be glad to help." ;)

              I used to have a parakeet like that. I went away for a weekend and had a pile of what once had been "War and Peace." Because of that I haven't had to read it again. I miss that bird.

              I have managed to read more by reading while stupid people are talking to me. My boss, the guy at the H&R block (I do my own taxes but my parents insist that I take theirs to a professional?), I also never drive if I'm going somewhere with someone else, I sit and read. BY doing this I have managed to read about 50% of what I want to read that's coming out. Alas for things I want to read that aren't new. I just got around to starting the collcted works of George MacDonald.
              DCG

            • Jack
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                "Or, with our cat, you could cut out the middle man. One of his favorite
                pastimes is shredding paper with his teeth. So if any of you need a book
                or two destroyed, I'm sure he'd be glad to help." ;)

                None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
                got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                matter...

              • Croft, Janet B
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                    > Really! The opposite has happened to me. When I was in college, I had all
                    > kinds of free time in which to read. If one class ended at 11:50 and the
                    > next didn't start until 1:30, I'd find a comfortable seat and read.

                    Hahaha! tee hehe!. My classes were usually at night, though in the end I did
                    take some classes during the day during an "extended" lunch break. If I had an
                    hour to kill, it was done doing homework, or more rarely, sleeping.

                    Still, I managed read a good deal, but not as much as I liked.

                    > I can kinda sort of read _during_ work, using my little Sony PDA. I'll
                    > quickly scan a line of an "electronic book" in between claims. But not very
                    > many books are available cheaply in such a machine-readable format.

                    You'd be surprised what you'd find on Kazaa. Despite what the RIAA would have me
                    believe, I have no qualms about downloading pre-typed versions of books I
                    already own. The opportunity doesn't arise, because I don't own a PDA. It makes
                    for easy research, though, especially when I'm at work and my only link through
                    home is a remote computer connection.

                    --
                    Jason M. Abels
                    "The world is coming down around our ears and you're sticking at a few
                    vampires!" - Ben Mears, _Salem's Lot_
                  • Margaret Dean
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                      Jack wrote:

                      > None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
                      > got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                      > matter...

                      Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                    • Jack
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                        >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
                        >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                        >> matter...
                        >
                        >Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

                        Some do. Particulary the ones that live in the bookcases. Bad plants!

                        Reading recommendation -- Sharyn McCrumb's new Ballad novel,
                        Ghost Riders, just came in for review. It centres on her seer of the dead,
                        Nora Bonesteel, and some very restles Civil war veterans. looks like a
                        rather dany novel of magic realism!

                      • Jason M. Abels
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                          >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
                          >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                          >> matter...

                          3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
                          too slowly!

                          > Your house plants eat paper?!? <g,d,rrrr>

                          Zip! Took the words right from me.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                            >>> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that we've
                            >>> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                            >>> matter...
                            >
                            >3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going far
                            >too slowly!

                            Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
                            reviews. It's
                            far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
                            mythlore
                            for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
                            Understanding Middle-earth,
                            came in recently for review.

                          • Jason M. Abels
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                              > Ok, confession time. Go to greemmanreview.com and you'll see that I write
                              > reviews. It's
                              > far too easy to accumalte books when they are free! And we do geta lot of
                              > mythlore
                              > for review, i.e. Bradley Birzer's J.RR. Tolkein's Santifying Myth --
                              > Understanding Middle-earth, came in recently for review.

                              Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad* books
                              (Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                  >Oh, so what you're saying is that your collection is full of really *bad*
                                  >books
                                  >(Like I can only imagine this one is). ;)

                                  Actually this one *might* be bad -- I've only seen it listed by our Book Editor
                                  as being available for review. I personally like having really good stuff
                                  in the
                                  library here, i.e. Robert Holdstock's Merlin's Wood in hardcover, or the
                                  complete
                                  run of The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror.

                                • Jason M. Abels
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                    > You don't live anywhere near Seattle, do you? I can swiftly add a couple of
                                    > hundred books to your collection; my friend Dale and I, in moving, purged
                                    > our libraries drastically. I got rid of all my fantasy and SF except for
                                    > the Tolkien, the Lewis, the LeGuin, two books by Brust, and a few other
                                    > oddments. (My tastes are changing, I guess.) Dale kept more of his,
                                    > largely though because many of his books are "book club" editions and
                                    > essentially unsalable. So far we've had little luck in getting any used
                                    > bookshops to take the bulk of them, even for free; Dale has managed to get a
                                    > few hundred dollars for some of his books, mostly large hardbacks on
                                    > nonfiction subjects.

                                    Sorry. I do love your city. The only other place in the world I'd want to live
                                    besides home. I've been out there a few times to see the band Pearl Jam (last in
                                    December 2002).

                                    Any books I don't like get dropped off at the local library. Has the library
                                    been approached? Try school libraries, especially the poorer ones. They're
                                    always on the lookout for books. (if appropriate, of course)

                                    --
                                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                      In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:00:42 PM Central Standard Time,
                                      thiophene@... writes:

                                      > nestle in
                                      > an overstuffed armchair in the Classics and Humanities library.

                                      In my college days, we had a nice reading room like that in the Women's
                                      College library. I could sit in one of those armchairs and read Tolkien
                                      (whose RING I discovered in those same stacks one happy day) or whoever all
                                      evening; but if I had taken a "required reading" book off the reserve shelf
                                      and sat down to read the assignment... it was always instant slumber. :)

                                      Diamond Proudbrook

                                    • Ernest Tomlinson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 28, 2003
                                          From: "Jason M. Abels" <jason@...>

                                          > >> None of our eight cats eats paper -- which is fortunate given that
                                          we've
                                          > >> got some three thousand or so books here! Now house plants are another
                                          > >> matter...
                                          >
                                          > 3000?! Oh, the Envy. I've gone from about 20 to 587 in 5 years. It's going
                                          far
                                          > too slowly!

                                          You're jealous of the books, I'm jealous of the cats. We have more books
                                          than that but then, we're old.

                                          Berni
                                        • Bill
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 2, 2003
                                            I work in a bookstore....
                                            There's never enough time to read all the books I have
                                            here,
                                            but I keep plugging along.

                                          • Ernest Tomlinson
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003