Re: [mythsoc] Sayers (3)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: David S. Bratman dbratman@...
      Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:58:02 -0800
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Sayers (3)

      << The US Amazon listing clarifies this, at least for me. The new book uses
      Sayers's authentic background information about what happened to her
      principal characters afterwards, up to the early part of WW2. >>

      Intriguing, to be sure.

      << This is contained in "The Wimsey Papers", a series of articles Sayers
      wrote for a magazine (they've never been reprinted), giving her thoughts on
      the world situation etc in the form of letters, diaries etc written by her
      characters. >>

      An interesting project for Mythopoeic Press, perhaps a reprinting?

      << But the plot, or at least its details, are entirely original to Walsh.
      Even if the novel includes the texts of "The Wimsey Papers," it's
      grotesquely
      misleading to credit Sayers as co-author of the book. (This time she's the
      second author and Walsh is the first.)>>

      What a rip off. Isn't Ms. Walsh confident enough in her own skills to let
      go fo Sayers' name now?

      << On the subject of posthumous collaborations, there's an article in Slate
      a few days back, "Dead Man Writing: How to keep writing your late father's
      books," by Chris Suellentrop. Suellentrop uses the premise mostly as an
      excuse to bash Jeff Shaara's "Gods and Generals">>

      Yes; a lot of people are bashing this; I'd like to read the book, and see
      the film.

      but he also includes some amazingly
      inaccurate information about J.R.R. and Christopher Tolkien.

      So if you click on "Read Messages" at the bottom of the article, you will
      find links to a few reader posts correcting this, the most lengthy and
      exhaustive(exhausting?) of these attributed to a poster called Kalimac. I
      wonder who that might be, hm?

      That would be you, perhaps?

      At 09:13 AM 2/25/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
      >jchristopher@... writes:
      >
      >> Jill Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers' second Lord Peter mystery, _A
      >> Presumption of Death_ has
      >
      >How MUCH Sayers is there in that, Joe? I thought she'd left behind drafts
      >for only one novel (THRONES, DOMINATIONS)
      >
      >The listing at amazon.co.uk appears to indicate that the characters are
      >Sayers' only contribution, though I may be wrong.

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
        "dianejoy@..." wrote:

> [...]

        In fact, Jill Paton Walsh has been a mystery writer in her own
        right for some time, from what I understand. She was invited to
        complete THRONES, DOMINATIONS and did a lot of work and research
        for that. (I personally thought she did a pretty good job, but
        that opinion isn't necessarily relevant to the subject.)

        THRONES turned out to be enough of a success that the publishers
        decided they wanted more. Walsh was originally reluctant, but
        when the publishers basically told her, "Either you do it or
        we'll get someone else to," she decided that she was the lesser
        of two evils.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
          At 08:31 AM 2/27/2003 , Margaret Dean wrote:

          >THRONES turned out to be enough of a success that the publishers
          >decided they wanted more. Walsh was originally reluctant, but
          >when the publishers basically told her, "Either you do it or
          >we'll get someone else to," she decided that she was the lesser
          >of two evils.

          We could discuss the morality of _that_ decision, that's for sure.

          - David Bratman