Re: Sayers

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
      Sorry, the ice here kept me from the office yesterday, so I didn't reply
      about the second Sayers-Walsh collaboration. David is right about the
      details of the war years being based on the short series of fictional
      letters Sayers published during WWII. (They broke off with a note that
      they might be continued later, but they never were.) The review in
      Amazon.com is correct that Lord Peter is absent on war work during most of
      the book and that Harriet, living in the country with her family, does most
      of the detective work. I don't know of anything by Sayers that could be
      used for the basis of any future work, unless Walsh goes to the fragments
      of undeveloped short stories or the fragment of the one Lord Peter play.
      (So far as I know, Sayers' treatment for the Lord Peter movie that was made
      early on has not survived.) But, anyway, nothing that specifically ties to
      the later Wimsey's time period. (Of course, there's Lord Peter's late
      reminiscence of his one meeting with Sherlock Holmes that the Mythopoeic
      Press published--but it hardly seems enough to support a novel....)

      --Joe