Not finishing books, was famfic

  • Gina Vick
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
      > At 04:25 PM 2/25/2003 , Ernest wrote:
      >
      > >The only "famfic" I've read of extensively is the series of "Dune" books
      > >written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. They're terrible books, and
      > >I "read" them in the way that I have occasionally "read" books that I don't
      > >like but feel I must finish

      I must be the odd one out but I actually liked the Dune prequels. And sequels. OK, so I have low taste. I came to the books not expecting great lit and got a fun and unpredictable read.

      > >The Lady Jessica is, unknown to her, Baron Harkonnen's father;
      > >so the authors stolidly write a scene telling us how that happened.
      >
      > First, she had a sex change operation. <g>

      And an aging reversal.

      > That's a good question. Lately I've been leaving more books unfinished, but
      > I used to be struck with a deep sense of guilt over not completing a book,
      > even a bad one. >>

      > Timely topic. I have just started _Triplanetary_, the first of E.E. "Doc"
      > Smith's Lensman books, and it is tedious going for me anyway, as I am not
      > into the lingo. But I'm in a game that spins off of it, at least so far as
      > the lens idea is concerned, so I thought they might be good to read. I'm
      > thinking maybe I'll just go with the gamemasters's summaries after all. I
      > certainly like his writing better so far.

      Another timely topic. I'm in a dilemma. I recently started Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar books, started ok, started getting bored and tetchy by the end of the first book (all I could think was "somebody fell asleep with The Golden Bough under their pillow" and "maybe this was his first novel"), and finished off the second book (maybe the novel he wrote before he wrote his first novel?) absolutely squirming from all the refried cliches packed into one story (dropping in "I am the salmon..." as Taliesin tap-dances through, and just as quickly leaving it??? Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot making their way into this? argh! I thought this was a story to blend the traditions of Tolkien and Donaldson? Blatent disregard for things like death preventing inexplicable reanimations of some dead people? what about others? it made no sense. I was waiting for Kevin to return from the dead
      as the Fisher King) and the complete ability to keep dropping the characters with some originality out of the book to start playing up some refried figure from Celtic myth (again, Art, Guinny, and Lance making their way into this? argh!). And don't get me started on the writing style. Or the unfettered and casual wantonness of just about everybody. Kay must have had a collision with the harlequin section of the bookstore.

      My dilemma....do I read the third book? I can't decide. I have this desire to see what happens to Dave and whether he manages to avoid becoming a walking redux of some Celtic myth, and how Kim survives getting her ribs bashed in. Wonder if I can dodge the tiresome trio that doesn't belong here (A-G-L??? argh! -- and need I mention the incredulity of A & L needing to be revived as themselves, but G herself being reincarnate as Jennifer, a seemingly mere mortal??).
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
        Uh oh ! I think I finally have all three Fionavar books and was looking
        forward to reading them. Well... I am intrigued anyway. THanks for the
        heads-up.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Ernest Tomlinson
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
            From: "Gina Vick" <gmvick1@...>

            Another timely topic. I'm in a dilemma. I recently started Guy Gavriel Kay's
            Fionavar books, started ok, started getting bored and tetchy by the end of
            the first book

            > My dilemma....do I read the third book? I can't decide.

            No, don't bother. Everything you disliked in the first two books is even
            more so in the third. I liked the first book when it first came out. The
            third book was full of every over-used cliche in the field at the time, so
            it would seem even more tired today. (Somethings read better when they're
            new, is my theory. This didn't even read well then.) I highly advocate
            throwing the sucker against the wall then settling down with the beverage of
            your choice.

            I'm finally getting around to reading Pauline Alama's _The Eye of the Night_
            and hey, I really like it so far!

            Berni
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
              From: "Ernest Tomlinson" <thiophene@...>

              > BTW, is the "Guy" in "Guy Gavriel Kay" pronounced as in "Guy de
              Maupassant"
              > or as in "Guys and Dolls"?

              I've always heard him called Guy-as-in-Guys-and-Dolls. Although he is
              Canadian. Perhaps he's just too polite to correct everyone.

              He's one of those writers whose writing I don't care much for but who I find
              a charming person. He's a very engaging public speaker despite a slight
              lisp. (He's been toastmaster for a number of conventions.)

              I get to tell the funny story: in 1989, Kay was GOH at Mythcon, which was up
              in Vancouver, B.C. that year. In his speech, he mentioned a particularly
              glaring error that occured in the galleys of his novel. He had written "an
              army of five hundred men" (or maybe it was dwarves -- hey, it's been 14
              years) and they had printed "an army of five HUNCHED men." Yeah, gotta
              catch those little things before they go to press.

              Berni
            • jamcconney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                In a message dated 2/26/2003 4:20:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                bernip@... writes:

                > they had printed "an army of five HUNCHED men." Yeah, gotta
                > catch those little things before they go to press.

                Reminds me of a short time ago when a reprint of Zelazny stories came out.
                Love the guy so I bought it with delight. What the editors/publishers had
                done was (I surmise) scan the thing into a computer and then run it through a
                spellcheck. Well, we all know what happens when you trust a spellcheck....

                I plowed on for awhile but when I got to the place where "divine mercy" got
                turned into "diving mercy" I simply had a good laugh and figured I'd wasted
                my money. Honestly, there were so many typos it was distracting to read.

                Back to the ancient, yellowing, tattered paperbacks....

                Anne

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                  >Reminds me of a short time ago when a reprint of Zelazny stories came out.
                  >Love the guy so I bought it with delight. What the editors/publishers had
                  >done was (I surmise) scan the thing into a computer and then run it through a
                  >spellcheck. Well, we all know what happens when you trust a spellcheck....
                  >
                  >I plowed on for awhile but when I got to the place where "divine mercy" got
                  >turned into "diving mercy" I simply had a good laugh and figured I'd wasted
                  >my money. Honestly, there were so many typos it was distracting to read.
                  >
                  >Back to the ancient, yellowing, tattered paperbacks....

                  Was that an iBooks printing? If so, all of their releases are error filled. And
                  they are, perhaps, slightly ethically challenged in how they deal with more
                  than one author!

                • Ernest Tomlinson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                      Ernest Tomlinson wrote:

                      > There ought to be a database of pronunciation of writers' names. I'm never
                      > sure whether it's "vin-gee" or "vinj" for Vernor Vinge,

                      Having worked with his ex-wife, Joan Vinge, I can tell you on
                      good authority that it's "vin-jee" (rhymes with "stingy").

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                        I'm finally getting around to reading Pauline Alama's _The Eye of the Night_
                        and hey, I really like it so far!

                        Diane:

                        I thought it was a goodie. I've nominated it for MFA. ---djb

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                          In a message dated 2/26/2003 6:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          thiophene@... writes:

                          > . . . "cluff" or "cloff"
                          > or "clow" or something else for Brenda Clough . . .

                          It rhymes with "huff" or "puff."

                        • jamcconney@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                            In a message dated 2/26/2003 4:51:19 PM Central Standard Time,
                            jack@... writes:

                            > Was that an iBooks printing? If so, all of their releases are error filled.
                            > And
                            > they are, perhaps, slightly ethically challenged in how they deal with more
                            > than one author!

                            I don't remember the publisher and can't look--I gave it to the church book
                            sale. I would not be surprised, however.

                            Anne

                          • Ernest Tomlinson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 26, 2003
                                  In a message dated 2/27/2003 12:03:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  thiophene@... writes:

                                  > I suppose he's
                                  > the closest thing to a celebrity that a freshwater college like SDSU has on
                                  > its faculty.

                                  I was about to write that he's not even the only science fiction writer
                                  there, since Rudy Rucker also teaches there. But then I did a Google to
                                  check my memory. Actually, Rucker teaches at San Jose State University. San
                                  Diego, San Jose . . . I can never keep all these California cities straight.

                                • Jef Murray
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 27, 2003
                                    Howdy!

                                    I'm brand new to this list, so please don't
                                    bludgeon me (figuratively speaking, of course) if I
                                    bring up a topic that is not welcome ;->

                                    I'm an artist (professional, honest!) with an
                                    interest in what I'd call Mythopoeic Art. This, at
                                    least for me, has more to do with northern heroic
                                    epics, ancient architectures, and natural and
                                    pseudonatural flora and fauna than it does sci-fi or
                                    fantasy as much of the press would have it. That's
                                    just a description of what _I_ like, but it isn't
                                    especially important to my question, which is...

                                    From what I've seen of the list so far, most
                                    members are avid readers of mythopoeic literature
                                    (ML). But I assume there are also writers of new ML
                                    materials on the list(?). And my question is whether
                                    there are also any (or many) _artists_ on the list who
                                    regularly produce images to complement new or existing
                                    ML pieces? Likewise, would there be any interest among
                                    such artists in creating a discussion group focussing
                                    on Mythopoeic Art (MA)?

                                    I have this weird, embryonic desire to create
                                    something like a forum for artists to share info about
                                    and criticism of their work as well as tips on
                                    supplies and techniques as well as (perhaps, but less
                                    important) markets and publishers in need of MA
                                    images.

                                    I am kind of tentatively calling this the
                                    "Mythopoeic Guild" as opposed to the "Mythopoeic
                                    Society", as it would emphasize the creation of visual
                                    images, sculpture, jewelry, etc. to _incarnate_ some
                                    of the literary worlds that are of so much interest to
                                    so many of us. And I'm thinking of a virtual "club"
                                    along the lines of the Inklings with at least one goal
                                    being inspiring and encouraging each other in our
                                    development of ths sort of _art_ we like to see in the
                                    same way that the Inklings encouraged the development
                                    of the sort of _literature_ they liked to read.

                                    So, I'd greatly value the thoughts of "elder"
                                    members of the group on this topic...any takers?

                                    S�dh,

                                    Jef

                                    =====
                                    MarshNest Studios: www.MarshNest.com

                                    Living in harmony with Creation is about listening to your deepest yearnings for yourself, your community, and the earth. It's also about ignoring crass pro-consumerism advertisements like the following:

                                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                  • Ernest Tomlinson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 27, 2003
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 27, 2003
                                        At 03:59 PM 2/27/2003 , Ernest wrote:

                                        >Caltech, which I attended for two years, boasts many more famous alumni, and
                                        >that's _not_ including all the scientists. Among writers I can think of
                                        >David Brin, Harry Turtledove, and Lyndon Hardy off the top of my head, and
                                        >I'm sure there are others.

                                        L. Sprague de Camp (B.S., Aeronautical Engineering, 1930), for one.
                                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 27, 2003
                                          J Michael Straczynski, creator of Babylon 5, graduated from SDSU,
                                          actually has a Master in Psychology, if memory serves me. That's why he
                                          had San Diego destroyed by terrorists in the show <g>. When asked by
                                          fans why he destroyed San Diego, he replied "I'm FROM San Diego. 'Nuff
                                          said." He actually admits that he likes the place, just thought it would
                                          be fun to blow it up.

                                          He's still making TV and books and comics and stuff. A busy writer, who
                                          actually has some money in the bank. He must be doing something right.

                                          He still goes to ComicCon every year he doesn't have a job conflict, too.

                                          Mythically yours,
                                          Lisa

                                        • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 1, 2003
                                            Welcome Jef!

                                            > From what I've seen of the list so far, most
                                            > members are avid readers of mythopoeic literature
                                            > (ML). But I assume there are also writers of new ML
                                            > materials on the list(?). And my question is whether
                                            > there are also any (or many) _artists_ on the list who
                                            > regularly produce images to complement new or existing
                                            > ML pieces? Likewise, would there be any interest among
                                            > such artists in creating a discussion group focussing
                                            > on Mythopoeic Art (MA)?

                                            I am an artist (though not a professional, I earn my living teaching
                                            preschoolers: which doesn't pay much more than a "starving artist"
                                            wages, but at least I have full benefits) who has renewed an interest
                                            in creating works based on my favorite mythopoeic authors. So far, I
                                            have done only a few movie-based images, but I have all this "stuff"
                                            rattling about in my brain which will eventually find it's way to
                                            canvas, paper and clay. I think a group which focusses on Mythopoeic
                                            Art would be interesting...

                                            God bless! Tinidril
                                            http://www.tinidril.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 2, 2003
                                              Those of you interested in seeing what great art members of the Mythopoeic
                                              Society have created over the past 30 or so years should order all of the
                                              back issues of _Mythlore_. A reasonable decision was made a couple years ago
                                              when _Mythlore_ changed formats to eliminate the art, but unfortunately that
                                              means that the only published outlet for this art is now the front cover of
                                              _Mythprint_ (and perhaps _Mythic Circle_).

                                              Wendell Wagner
                                            • Stolzi@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 3, 2003
                                                Allow me to point out that the Mythopoeic Conference held this summer will
                                                include an Art Show.

                                                We would love to have exhibitors come, register, and take part. Details
                                                about this summer's Conference available at the URL in the sig below; rates
                                                are modest at $10 hanging fee, plus 10% commission to be collected on pieces
                                                which you may offer for bid and sell at auction. Also the artist, or his/her
                                                representative must be registered for the conference; no pieces will be
                                                accepted by mail.

                                                To reserve space in the art show, please contact Ruby Dunlap at <A HREF="mailto:dunlapr@...">
                                                dunlapr@...</A>.

                                                Mary M. Stolzenbach, co-Chair Mythcon XXXIV
                                                <A HREF="http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon34.html">Mythcon 34</A>
                                                1603 Rosewood Drive
                                                Brentwood, TN 37027
                                                (615) 370-1764 (615) 218-3680