Re: [mythsoc] Re: "Famfic"

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2003
      From: Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 6:33 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: "Famfic"

      "Timely topic. I have just started _Triplanetary_, the first of E.E. "Doc"
      Smith's Lensman books, and it is tedious going for me anyway, as I am not
      into the lingo. But I'm in a game that spins off of it, at least so far as
      the lens idea is concerned, so I thought they might be good to read. I'm
      thinking maybe I'll just go with the gamemasters's summaries after all. I
      certainly like his writing better so far."

      I felt the same way about Kim Stanley Robinson's "The Years of Rice and Salt," I read the first three chapters and told everyone I hated it. But the next book I wanted wouldn't arrive for three days from Amazon, so I continued. After I actually finished I realized I liked the book alot and that It had gven me some new things to ponder which Robinson had never done for me before. As an aside the Mars series by him was a great long soap opera version of the much better book by Ben Bova, "Mars."

      "Dune Books that Herbert never finished before he died in a safe deposit box."

      "A miraculous feat in itself. 8-) Sorry, couldn't resist."
      Anne

      As to this he was a great fan of Houdini, I thought everyone knew that.
      If at first you don't succeed ignore the fact you're wrong.