Participation in Long Island Con

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25 10:30 AM
      Folks, I received the following invitation:

      I was inquiring about the possibility of your organization holding some
      discussion panels [on Tolkien] at I-Con, March 28-30th on the campus of
      Stony Brook University NY on Long Island. FYI, con web site is http://www.iconsf.org/.

      Do we have any interested Society members who are in the area or want to
      travel? If so, get in touch with me and I'll give you contact info.

      Edith L. Crowe
      Art & Humanities Librarian
      San Jose State University Library
      http://library.sjsu.edu

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org

    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25 1:13 PM
        Edith.Crowe@... writes:
        >Do we have any interested Society members who are in the area or want to
        >travel? If so, get in touch with me and I'll give you contact info.

        I usually make I-Con, but don't really feel qualified to represent the
        Society (despite volunteering for the award committees every year -- I
        don't feel qualified to represent a society whose convention I've
        never yet attented, and of whom I only know a few in person, I -do-
        feel qualified to judge how good a work of SF or fantasy is and
        whether it's in the spirit of the Inklings). But I'd likely find time
        to go to a discussion if it presented.

        Speaking of same, is anyone up to volunteering for the Childrens' book
        award committee? Unless we've had a lot of new sign-ups, things were
        a bit thin the last few years..

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25 2:52 PM
          Joshua -

          If you've been hanging around this list and like fantasy, you're as
          qualified as anyone. Just be sure you can pronounce the name right <g>.

          But yes, I am being serious. The Mythopoeic Society is a group of people
          who gather round and discuss fantasy - we can do it in a zine (Mythprint
          or Mythlore), we can do it at a meeting (see branch listing at
          Mythsoc.org), we can do it in an APA (we have two, see Mythsoc.org), we
          can do it on an e-list, or we can do it at a con (panels on Tolkien and
          other fantasy writers are a wonderful way to meet more of us). Mythcon
          is just a better way to have more fantasy panels and the scholarly works
          that we like than show up at a regular convention, but Fantasy panels do
          not need to be limited to Mythcon. The important thing is they are all
          useful ways to talk about Fantasy.

          So pick a favorite fantasy topic and get involved. I'm sure you'll do
          just fine. If you can't figure out a topic, talk to David Bratman, he's
          usually got a lot of good ones. We can even send you flyers to put out
          at the con :-) .

          And we hope there isn't too much snow.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa Deutsch Harrigan