yizitthatderrzomany...

  • wpierce@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 1999
      I remember reading a little bit of nonsense that went: "yrderzomanymororsesasesdenorses." Or something like that and that it loosely translates to "why are there so many more horses..."(and I'll stop there" So why post this nonsense? Well one thing I have always wondered about is the constant comparison of someone's fantasy epic novel to JRRT. I don't usually agree with the reviewer's opinion and sometimes I wonder whether the reviewer has actually read anything by JRRT other than THE HOBBIT. I recall reading the statement being applied to Ralph Bashki's movie "Wizards" (I hope I'm not dating myself) and thinking, "there is no comparison" (actually I enjoy Wizards on its own merits, believing it is one of Bashki's best efforts) Anyhow I have several reasons for being such a "purist" and would be happy to digress further, but in the mean time is there anyone else that feels the same way. bill
    • c howlett
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 1999
        For the 'puff' reviews on the book cover, editors love to pick best-sellers
        to compare their ugly duckling to. Wishful thinking, half, and half hoping
        to deceive. The reviewers in the newspapers are not generally so lazy or so
        ill-informed. Sometimes I think 'The Lord of the Rings' is the only fantasy
        the publishers have ever heard of -- certainly the only one to make such a
        big splash and such a long-lasting effect. (So many more asses than
        horses - true)

        Christine Howlett