Fwd: JRR Tolkien Not So Vital Stats

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
      What this has to do with anything, I don't know--but can anyone help this
      poor soul? Don't ask me what I think of the pedagogy here...

      Edith L. Crowe
      Art & Humanities Librarian
      San Jose State University Library
      http://library.sjsu.edu

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 02/21/03 08:16 AM -----

      Matthew Winslow <mwinslow@...>
      02/20/03 06:11 PM
      Please respond to mwinslow

      To: Edith Crowe <Edith.Crowe@...>
      cc:
      Subject: Fwd: JRR Tolkien

      Edith,

      It's questions like these that make me glad I'm not Corresponding
      Secretary
      <g>. Enjoy.

      matt

      ----- Forwarded message from Jewel & Dean <hampton2@...> -----

      > Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:48:21 -0700
      > From: "Jewel & Dean" <hampton2@...>
      > To: <mwinslow@...>
      > Subject: JRR Tolkien
      >
      > My little nephew has a school project about JRR Tolkien, and of all
      the questions....the teacher wants to know how tall he was and what his
      weight was. Go figure!

      > I have seached many sites but have had no luck. Can you help?
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Dean Hampton
      > Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
      ----- End forwarded message -----

      "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor
      will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
      --Mark
      Twain
      Currently reading: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
        Isn't there a physical description of Tolkien in Carpenter's biography?

        I see that little nephew's uncle has "searched many sites." Ooh, I'm so
        impressed. Maybe he should try a book. Book, b-o-o-k. It's one of those
        things made of paper with a cover on it. Sometimes there's information
        printed in them. He might, like, take a look at one.

        Feel free to tone down the sarcasm when forwarding this message; I for one
        am incapable of doing so.

        - David Bratman

        At 08:21 AM 2/21/2003 , Edith Crowe wrote:
        >What this has to do with anything, I don't know--but can anyone help this
        >poor soul? Don't ask me what I think of the pedagogy here...
        >
        >----- Forwarded message from Jewel & Dean <hampton2@...> -----
        >
        >> My little nephew has a school project about JRR Tolkien, and of all
        >the questions....the teacher wants to know how tall he was and what his
        >weight was. Go figure!
        >>
        >> I have seached many sites but have had no luck. Can you help?
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
          How tall he was and how much he weighed? I suppose they mean at a
          particular time of his life?

          I'm with Mr. Bratman on the sarcasm. LOL

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
            It is funny though, I don't know a quick way of finding that out. If you had time, you might be able to extrapolate his hight from things and people around him in Oxford photos. This would require a great deal of mathematical calculation. Or, if you wanted to look like a real idiot you could write Christopher Tolkien and ask him. Or you could look up his old army medical records.
            ON the whole is height and weight can't be that relevant to the assignment. Just approximate

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
              He probably needs to bug the research person at his local library. If
              the teacher has given this project to 30-60 kids, they probably have the
              answers memorized by now <g>. If they are even published anywhere.
              Carpenter is in a box somewhere...

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa
            • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2003
                One has only to look at a few of his late-in-life photos to know
                these answers:

                height: not quite tall enough
                and/or
                weight: just a bit too much