MFA Children's award & OUaT

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2003
      Both Butterbur's Woodshed and Once Upon a Time, the Society's discussion
      groups-by-mail (this is snail mail, not e-mail), known as "apas," are rather
      down in memberships these days. Many posters to this list write far more
      about fantasy literature in regular postings than members of the apas. So
      just in case anyone here would be interested in trying the old-fashioned
      method of inter-state discussion (and inter-national, OUaT has a couple of
      members in Canada), I thought I'd mention them. You can find out more via
      the links from the Society web-page at www.mythsoc.org--check out the
      Discussion Groups button (who knows, there might be an actual in-person
      group in your area, too). As with other DG's, you don't have to actually
      belong to the MythSoc to participate in a discussion or special interest
      group--though we hope that you'll want to join.

      Butterbur's Woodshed has topics in its bi-monthly collations, this month's
      is Lois McMaster Bujold's _Curse of Chalion_. (And there's still time to
      write up a page or so, make the 15 or so copies, and send 'em off to Mary
      for collating and distribution. Deadline is the end of the month. Of course
      you'd want to e-mail the editors first and get all of the exact details.
      You can also check out a list of the future topics on-line). Coming up in
      the near future will be discussion of the MFA-Adult candidates--an
      especially desirable issue as you find out about so many interesting new
      books, even if you aren't participating in the awards committee and voting.

      Once Upon a Time has deadlines in the alternate months, and they don't even
      expect you to pick a particular book to discuss--just general discussion of
      Children's fantasy and related topics. So you've got a month to prepare a
      page or so on your beloved memories of the first time you read Robert
      Lawson's _Rabbit Hill_ or _The Hobbit_, or reading _Voyage of the Dawn
      Treader_ or Susan Cooper's _Dark is Rising_ to your child or fourth-grade
      class, or discuss the development of the relationship of Freddy the Pig and
      his pal, Jinx the cat, in Walter Brooks' saga of the Bean Family Farm. And
      the copy count there is down to just 10 copies. We aren't as organized about
      discussing the nominees for the Children's MFA, but over the course of the
      year, some members inevitably discuss and review new books that will be on
      the list of nominees.

      I put a slightly longer version of this note in Once Upon a Time, the
      MythSoc apa devoted to children's fantasy discussion, earlier this month.

      The MFA
      Recently, Laura Krentz wrote to me in an e-mail:
      What are you thinking of nominating for the children's MFA? I haven't found
      a book that stood out from all the others, but a lot of good series are
      finishing up, and there are some books by good authors. Here are some I'm
      considering. Dates are publication dates.

      2002 Children's MFA Possibilities:
      Alexander, Lloyd. The Rope Trick 10-02
      Barker, Clive. Clive Barker's Abarat (#1 in four book fantasy series)
      10-1-02
      Black, Holly. Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale 9-17-02
      Chabon, Michael. Summerland 9-17-02
      Corbett, Sue. 12 Again 7-02
      Crossley-Holland, Kevin. At the Crossing Places (Arthur #2) 10-02 (wait
      till trilogy is complete to nominate?)
      Curley, Margaret. The Named 9-4-02
      Datlow, Ellen. The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest 5-02
      Ferris, Jean. Once Upon a Marigold
      Flieger, Veryln. Pig Tale 10-02
      Funke, Cornelia. The Thief Lord 9-02
      Gaiman, Neil. Coraline 7-02
      Hoffman, Mary. Stravaganza: City of Masks 8-7-02
      Jarvis, Robin. Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (1st in trilogy) 9-30-02
      Jordan, Sherryl. The Hunting of the Last Dragon 6-02
      Lee, Tanith. Wolf Queen. (Claidi #3) 5-02 (3 book series)
      Lyon, George Ella. Gina.Jamie.Father.Bear 9-1-02
      McKinley, Robin. Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits (six stories) 6-02
      Murphy, Rita. Harmony 10-02
      Nicholson, William. Firesong (Wind on Fire #3) 9-02 (3 book series)
      Pearce, Philippa. Familiar and Haunting
      Pierce, Tamora. Lady Knight 8-27-02 (4 book series, I'm reading the first)
      Rodda, Emily. Rowan and the Zebak (#4 Rowan) 5-02 (4 book series)
      Sabin, Rose. A School for Sorcery 9-02
      Springer, Nancy. Lionclaw: A Tale of Rowan Hood 9-02
      Vande Velde, Vivian. Heir Apparent 8-5-02
      Yolen, Jane. The Bagpiper's Ghost (Tartan Magic #3) 4-02

      To which I added a few other titles:
      Yolen, Jane & Robert J. Harris. Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons.
      the 2nd Artemis Fowle book.
      the Kara Dalkey Water books
      Isabel Allende's new YA book

      Claire has recently been reading the first Tanith Lee book, which her
      friends at school recommended. I think I'm probably forgetting a few more,
      but anyhow, we have a nice list of suggestions for MFA nominations, which
      are due at the end of the month. I really appreciate the reviews from Grace
      and Nick and everyone over the past few issues of Once Upon a Time.

      If a book isn't nominated, it can't be further considered for the final
      award, so definitely nominate if there's a reasonable chance it's good
      enough (based upon the author's past achievements, or reviews here and
      elsewhere). It's worth nominating books even if you haven't read them to get
      the pool large enough to make selecting the finalists a reasonable
      enterprise--too often we've overlooked a good book at this stage.

      Deadline for nominations is the end of the month of February, so if you
      think a book ought to be considered, or can think of a 2002 book you really
      thought quite nice, either nominate it yourself or at least make the
      suggestion to me or Laura or someone to consider including among our
      nominations.

      You can send nominations to Ellie Farrell at emfarrell@... and of
      course you can nominate (up to 5 books) in each of the four awards
      categories: adult and children's fantasy, Inklings studies and general
      Fantasy & Myth studies. (You can only nominate if you're a current Society
      member).

      David Bratman has suggested a list of books for the adult MFA on this list
      in the last week or so. I'd encourage people on this list to suggest other
      titles for any of the awards, or other lists. It's sometimes especially
      difficult to catch non-fiction books in their first year of publication, so
      the non-fiction awards are for books from the past 3 years.

      Or even if you don't care to nominate books, if you have comments on any
      books, these could be helpful to the eventual jury/awards committee.

      I'd also like to put in a plug for the apas, both Once Upon a Time (contact
      Laura Krentz) and Mary Stolzenbach or Diane Joy Baker for Butterbur's
      Woodshed (see the MythSoc page for e-mail addresses and web-page links).
      These are bi-monthly discussions in print, both of which have focused on
      some nominees for the awards in past years. Both of which are also in need
      of new members (which means that right now, it's not nearly as daunting to
      undertake replying to a number of the other members in a zine).

      -- David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2003
        An advantage of writing for apas is that you can produce little essays on
        the discussion topic, of a couple thousand words or more, a length that
        would seem wearisome and overlong in a fast-paced e-mail discussion, but is
        just the right length for a slower-paced in-print discussion. There are
        whole facets of books that we really can't go into here on-line.

        - David Bratman