RE: [mythsoc] digital frailty and multiple manuscripts

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2003
      Actually that wasn't me, I just replied to that message. It would be nice
      if libraries could maintain old software and hardware, but it might be more
      practical to transfer data to new media instead. Although then you get into
      other issues, like copy degredation and whether the text is still the same
      if divorced from its original format.

      But a relevant link showed up in my mailbox today:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10278-2003Feb14.html
      <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10278-2003Feb14.html> . And
      somehow we've dragged another thread off the list topic and into
      libraries...

      I was excited a few years back when Gregory McDonald told me he was going to
      donate some manuscripts to the library where I used to work. It turned out
      they were photocopies of typed manuscripts he'd turned in to his publisher.
      Comparing the published version to these manuscripts would be of some use to
      scholars, but they had no annotations or anything to show what editorial
      changes were made and why, and he did not include any earlier drafts. Of
      course, one has to have a certain amount of ego to think one's earlier
      drafts might be useful to future scholars, and it's quite possible he just
      didn't keep them. And some people are pack rats and the issue of ego
      doesn't enter into it -- they just keep everything they write no matter
      what.

      Janet