Re: [mythsoc] Re: hobbit dialogue

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2003
      From: Stolzi@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 2:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: hobbit dialogue

      "Well, that's how it works, and why it works. But when I really think about
      it, I feel that the two worlds don't quite mesh effectively."

      Well I think thta's the point. The fact that the two worlds don't mesh quite makes the hobbits as intermediaries necessary. Their speech and mannerisms, while more archiac than our own, are more advanced than the rest of Middle-earth. I think this serves to create a sense of nostalgia for the way in which the hobbits live, while allowing us to experiance the nostalgia with which the hobbits saw the rest of Middle-earth. No matter our own personal likes or dislikes Tolkien saw the life of the late eighteenth century rual englishmen as the ideal life style, and the gentry saw the epic deeds of the feudal knights as their, not ideal, but greatest lifestyle.
      A wonderful trick really