Going to Westercon was Re: [mythsoc] New Member

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
      Welcome, New members are always appreciated.

      Will you be going to Westercon in Seattle, WA this year? There will be
      many of us there. We should probably plan a meeting.

      Everyone who is going to Westercon should speak up. If there are enough
      of us, may be we should write to them about doing a BoF.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
        In a message dated 2/18/2003 4:24:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        lisa@... writes:

        > BoF

        What?

      • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
          Hi Lisa!

          > Will you be going to Westercon in Seattle,
          > WA this year? There will be many of us there.
          > We should probably plan a meeting.
          >
          > Everyone who is going to Westercon should
          > speak up. If there are enough of us, may be
          > we should write to them about doing a BoF.

          Probably not as I am spending a lot of money on a couple of other fan
          gatherings this year (TTT: One Party in L.A. next month and
          the "Gathering of the Fellowship" in Canada next December). I'm going
          to be paying my charge account for many moons already....

          God bless! Tinidril
        • Ernest S. Tomlinson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
            I'd never even heard of Westercon until about ten minutes ago. What is
            it?

            Ernest.
            --
            Ernest S. Tomlinson
            thiophene@...
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
              Westercon is a big science fiction convention held on the West Coast every
              year.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Ernest S. Tomlinson
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:25:25 EST, WendellWag@... said:
                > Westercon is a big science fiction convention held on the West Coast
                > every
                > year.

                I thought that was "Norwescon", or something like that.

                Ernest.
                --
                Ernest S. Tomlinson
                thiophene@...
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                  No, Norwescon is a different convention that's only in the Pacific Northwest,
                  while Westercon can be anywhere on the West Coast.

                  Wendell Wagner
                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                    Birds of a Feather. A con sets aside a room and gives the various fan
                    groups their own time and then fans of whatever can get together and
                    meet. We had one at WorldCon. It helps people find out about you. And
                    gets some great stuff going, sometimes about the group or the group's
                    subject, depending on how the moderator wants to set it up.

                    It's easier than setting up an information table, since you only need to
                    dedicate an hour or so to the project, rather than the entire con.

                    Mythically yours,
                    Lisa
                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                      It is the West Coast Science Fiction Convention. It meets every year
                      around July 4, but floats from city to city on the West Coast (well, one
                      year we were in Hawaii and another in El Paso. We've had bids for
                      Colorado too). 2003 is in Seattle (the Sea/Tac Doubletree to be exact)
                      July 3-6 and their webite is http://www.wester56.org/ . The main
                      WesterCon website is http://www.westercon.org/ and gives references to
                      past, current and future Westercons. It's a general convention (like
                      Norwescon) and about 1500-2000 people in recent years.

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                        Thanks, Lisa. It's just that "BoF" is not a well-known abbreviation, nor is
                        "Birds of a Feather" a well-known term, even among longtime fans like me. I
                        think that it's a good idea to tone down the use of the abbreviations, since
                        we're not all that deeply into fandom.

                        Wendell Wagner
                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 18, 2003
                          Sorry, it's been around for a number of years out here on the West
                          Coast. On the abreviated programs grids you'll see BoF - B5 (Birds of a
                          Feather - Babylon 5) or BoF -ST. If we're lucky they might spell out our
                          whole name, but don't bet on it. But it does make things shorter on that
                          little grid, especially since they are usually held in the smaller
                          programming rooms.

                          And it usually is fully explained in the progress reports (to get clubs
                          to sign up) and program book, to get other fans to show up.

                          Mythically yours,
                          Lisa

                          WendellWag@... wrote:

                          >Thanks, Lisa. It's just that "BoF" is not a well-known abbreviation, nor is
                          >"Birds of a Feather" a well-known term, even among longtime fans like me. I
                          >think that it's a good idea to tone down the use of the abbreviations, since
                          >we're not all that deeply into fandom.

                        • Ernest Tomlinson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 23, 2003