Re: Tolkien 2005

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2003
      I have now been told by a British member of the Tolkien Society that the
      current price for Tolkien 2005 is good to the end of March. If he can find
      out how much it will go up then, I'll pass the information on.

      To Gina Vick, who queried this discussion as a new member. The Tolkien
      Society (a British organization with, of course, some American members) is
      sponsoring the Tolkien 2005 convention. Unlike the last big convention
      (the Tokien centenary), when The Tolkien Society and The Mythopoeic Society
      were joint sponsors, this one is mainly by the British organization, but it
      is allowing other Tolkien-related societies to join as participating
      societies--several European Tolkien groups felt excluded last time (or so
      it was explained to me). Anyway, at a business meeting a couple of
      Mythcons ago, the Mythopoeic Society voted to hold its 2005 Mythcon in
      Britain as one of the participating societies. No doubt there will be a
      small meeting in California of some of those who didn't go to England, but
      the main meeting that year will be part of the celebration in Britain of
      the 50th anniversary of the publication of _The Lord of the Rings_
      (technically, the last volume, 1955).

      I didn't realize I would stir up any problems about the money when I
      queried the date and the amount of the new price. One way to join at the
      current price is to go to The Tolkien Society's website. On the home page,
      click on "Events"; scroll down to the bottom of the Events page and you'll
      find Tolkien 2005 listed under the date for 2005. Click on the highlighted
      "Tolkien 2005." That will take you to the convention's page. About
      halfway down is the Registration information; according to it, one can join
      by use of a credit card by clicking on "register online." (I haven't done
      this yet, and the page one goes to [1] is not secure and [2] does not send
      information about the credit card to the Society--so that must be handled
      by a reply from the Tolkien Society.) The Mythopoeic Society is listed as
      a participating society, so the price for members is currently $53. U.S.
      non-members of any of the participating societies can join for $60.

      I hope I've covered everything of significance at the moment, and I hope
      there are no errors in this information. Someone please straighten me out
      if there are.

      --Joe

      P.S. I haven't asked about the publication of the papers given in 2005,
      but I feel certain it will be handled differently that it was last time. I
      hope the papers will be published, however.
    • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2003
        I have now been given the new prices of membership in Tolkien 2005 as of 1
        April: they go up $5. That is, members of the Mythopoeic Society, $68;
        U.S. non-members of a participating society, $75.

        --Joe
      • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2003
          Sorry, sorry, sorry. As should be obvious, the prices are going up $15,
          not $5. My note below was written too hastily (although the new prices are
          correct). I also was told that the registration has to be in England at the
          Tolkien Society's official as of 31 March; it can't just be in the mail.

          NOTE WITH THE ERROR: