New Member

  • Yvan <tinidril@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
      Hi! I just joined the Mythopoeic Soc. a little while ago, decided to
      also join the list... =)

      I've been a near life-time member of the society in spirit, just
      didn't know it existed until a couple years ago. Last year, after the
      release of Peter Jackson's first film, I joined the Official Fan
      Club... first time I've ever joined *any* fan club, I didn't even
      join the Star Trek fan club (and I *should* have been a card-carrying
      member from the fist year! - hehehe) but this time my passion for all
      things Tolkien had been rekindled and I cound not deny myself.

      Locally, I was already participating in what is now a chartered
      Mythopoeic Soc. discussion group (we call ourselves "Bywater
      Inklings", located in Portland, OR). I've been a long time
      participant in Orycon, our state sci-fi convention, as both a dealer
      and an artist.

      My first love was Tolkien whom I discovered in 1967: "The Hobbit" was
      a class assignment in the 7th grade. Then my grandmother let me have
      her copies of LOTR when I commented that I recognized the author of
      The Hobbit. This was the first novel I ever read all the way through
      on my own, I could not put it down for anything, not even meals! I
      had no idea there were any other authors of similar caliber or depth -
      I just kept reading LOTR over and over (and loving it!). Then I
      learned about C. S. Lewis, read the Chronicles of Narnia and was on a
      roll... I either bought or checked out from the library every book by
      these two... then I investigated George McDonald, Charles Williams
      and others... I spent a whole summer devouring books from the "old"
      book archives at the library! What fun!

      All of that was before the advent of the internet. Once I began using
      the internet I found I needed a unique name that other's wouldn't be
      likely to have already used... as you might imagine, most popular
      Tolkien, and even Lewis, names were taken... and I didn't want to
      have to paste numbers or some other silly thing to my name in order
      to make it unique. Finally, I remembered a character in one of Lewis'
      books which didn't receive her name until the *end* of the book. I
      chose "Tinidril" as my alter-ego and have successfully signed up
      almost anywhere I wanted with this name. Today, I am known as
      Tinidril to as many (or perhaps more) people than I am by my "real"
      name. I even own the domain: http://www.tinidril.com

      God bless! Tinidril
      my weblog: http://www.xanga.com/tinidril
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
        Welcome to the list, Tinidril!
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2003
          Welcome to the list! I love the name, and for a wild moment thought it was
          Tolkienesque, but now I recall it's CSL. Look forward to many good
          comments from you. ---djb

[...]

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • PhoenixWeasley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2010
            Hi! My name is Denise Roper, and although I am not a new member of the Mythopoeic Society, I am a new member of this Yahoo group. I'll be attending my first Mythcon this summer and am looking forward to meeting all of you.

            My paper for Mythcon 41 is entitled "The Lord of the Horcruxes: The Immortal Soul and the Eternal War Between Good and Evil in the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling." Although this is my first Mythcon, I have been a presenter on the deeper meaning of the Harry Potter series at the Portus 2008 and Azkatraz 2009 Harry Potter symposia. I will also be presenting at the upcoming Infinitus 2010 Harry Potter event in Orlando.

            I am the author of a book called "The Lord of the Hallows: Christian Symbolism and Themes in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter," which is available from Outskirts Press. You can find out more about the book, my upcoming convention appearances, and much more by visiting my blog at http://phoenixweasley.wordpress.com Please leave a comment if you visit it. Thanks!

            Denise Roper