Frodo's wound....

  • Gina Vick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      RE

      > Gina is right about the location of Frodo's wound, I believe.

      > Diamond Proudbrook

      AND

      > He takes ill on the anniversary of that day, but also on 25 March, when the
      > Ring was destroyed. Whether it is the destruction of the Ring or the wound
      > that Gollum inflicted (note that Frodo himself says that he has been wounded
      > by "knife, sting, and tooth") that sickens him is impossible to say, I
      > guess. On the other hand, it is on an anniversary of Weathertop that Frodo
      > says that his wound would never heal, so maybe he does mean the knife-wound
      > only.
      > Ernest.

      Well, I don't doubt that his bitten-off ring finger bothered him from then on and was a nasty piece of work. But the salient point to me about the stab wound being THE wound that wouldn't heal is that even during the course of the book that wound seems to bother him, and not simply on the anniversary date. In a way it's the first of his "mortal" wounds. Putting the ring on then was a significant choice -- a succumbing to evil and its consequences -- that sets him down a path where, were he not to have done so and hence been stabbed, things may have gone a little nicer for him even though he was still the ring
      bearer.

      Perhaps if he hadn't been stabbed thusly by the Nazgul he might have retained the moral conviction to release the ring himself instead of needing Gollum to bite it off. He retained enough moral conviction (and the aid of friends and unseemly allies) to get him to that point, but in the end he's already been too compromised by past actions and events to stay the course. To me that's the real wound that wouldn't heal, and the stabbing on Weathertop is part of it's beginning.

      At least that's my humble opinion.

      Gina