Re: I'm not making this up.

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 1999
      No, I read Baudelaire in translation.

      Diane Baker asked:

      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman Editor, Mythlore: The Journal of the
      Mythopoeic Society
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
        Ms. Shields has studied quite a lot of French--it's very useful in an
        international modeling career, not to mention film. I'm glad to see that
        she's followed up on it in other ways. (Didn't she go to Yale?)

        Mary Jo Kapsalis

        >From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
        >To: mythsoc@onelist.com
        >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] I'm not making this up.
        >Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:23:54 -0700
        >

        >I'm glad that CSL "reached" Ms. Shields---perhaps she'll try reading the
        >Gospels at some point (if she hasn't already). At least CSL is short
        >and clear; I can believe she read a chapter here and there between
        >takes. The one I find hard to believe is Proust. I consider myself
        >very well read and I probably have 49,762 + books in my place, but I
        >have never read Proust. I have thought about doing so because Gene
        >Wolfe has been compared to Proust on the SF level, but have not had the
        >courage. I've never read Baudelaire either; she may have a yen for
        >French fiction. (Or somebody told her to say that.)
        >
        >It is true that we don't really "know" celebrities, no matter how often
        >we see them on TV or even when we meet them in person (one reason I was
        >so bothered by all that ersatz grief for Princess Diana). The image
        >they project is probably not very accurate for judging what they might
        >be like as people, or what intelligence they might possess. Then again,
        >they may be just as vapid as they appear; depends upon the person.
        >---djb.
        >

        > > From: WendellWag@...
        > >
        > > According to an interview of Brooke Shields in the October issue of
        > > _Movieline_, "the books that have reached [her] the most are C. S.
        >Lewis's
        > > _Mere Christianity_, Baudelaire's _Fleurs de Mal_, Proust's _Remembrance
        >of
        > > Things Past_, and _Mutt_ [which is, as she explains, a cartoon
        >actually].
        > >
        > > Later in the interview, when asked what her favorite movie is, she names
        > > _Shadowlands_, _The Madness of King George_, _Mrs. Brown_, and _The
        >Spanish
        > > Prisoner_.
        > >
        > > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org

        ><< text3.html >>
      • Madame K
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
          Ms. Foster is fluent in French--I've seen her in action on French TV, They
          don;t come much smarter than that young woman!

          Mary Jo Kapsalis

        • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
            In a message dated 11/1/99 12:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            mjrksr@... writes:

            > Ms. Shields has studied quite a lot of French--it's very useful in an
            > international modeling career, not to mention film. I'm glad to see that
            > she's followed up on it in other ways. (Didn't she go to Yale?)

            No, Shields went to Princeton. Foster went to Yale.
          • Madame K
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
              Merci, Wendell! Can't keep those Ivy league schools straight!
              Mary Jo

            • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
                > Foster went to Yale.