Re: Oscar Nominations

  • tghsaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2003
      > Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:38:07 -0800
      > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
      > Subject: Re: Oscar Nominations
      >
      > David F. Porteous wrote:
      >
      > >For those of you who haven't heard yet, LOTR:TTT has been nominated for
      > >oscars in following categories:
      > >
      > >Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)
      > >Film Editing
      > >Best Picture
      > >Sound
      > >Sound Editing
      > >Visual Effects
      > >

      > >You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
      > >director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved. Strangely
      though
      > >LOTR has not received nominations for Cinematography, Costume Design or
      > >Make-Up and with the exception of Gangs of New York for cinematography I
      > >don't see how any of the other nominees in these categories hold a faint
      > >candle to LOTR.
      > >

      > They got those nominations last year, and since the crew and quality
      > hasn't changed, I wasn't surprised that they got passed up this year.
      > Everyone knows that there will be a third movie, so that is when the
      > nominations will get hot and heavy again. Since no one has ever had
      > something that is so obviously a three part movie like this before
      > (cheapy serials don't count), no one is quite sure what to do in the
      > awards department. Movie One got a lot of recognition because they were
      > still not 100 per cent sure two and three would come out. But I think
      > the box office has spoken about that one <g>.

      This may have been mentioned here already, but the Academy has added new
      rules for some awards (score, makeup and costumes, IIRC--I don't know if
      there are others) that make it much more difficult for movies in a series to
      win multiple times. For example, if the score uses themes previously used
      in an earlier movie it's not eligible--and IMHO any composer worth his/her
      salt would want *some* kind of link between the scores of two (or three)
      related movies. I don't know how it's decided when the other areas "cross
      the line" into ineligibility.

      There was evidently some time window available, but the Academy voters seem
      to have decided to enforce the new rules this year. I don't think it was
      *just* the LotR movies that brought about this change. IMHO, it was a year
      with the combined presence of three high-profile "follow-ups," including HP
      and SW.

      --Trudy