Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1154

  • Gina Vick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2003
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > > While reading the actual LOTR the other day, I thought of a parallel which
      > > may have been explored elsewhere for all I know: Frodo has a wound which
      > > "will never really heal." So does CS Lewis' hero Ransom.
      >
      > How was Frodo wounded (overtly?) Gollum bit his finger off. How was Ransom
      > wounded? The "Un-man" bit at his heel. Something to think about...but not
      > for very long.
      >
      > Ernest.

      I always thought (still do) that Frodo's wound that wouldn't heal was the
      Nazgul-blade stab he took in his shoulder back at the beginning right after he
      met up with Strider in Bree. When he naughtily slipped the Ring on his finger.

      Gina
    • Gina Vick
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2003
        > > I know she has been having problems getting a checking account set up.
        > > It is partially my fault. She's decided, after a lot of hassle trying to
        > > set it up with the Tolkien Society information (since they are a British
        > > Corp) to use the MythSoc ID# and my paperwork for that got buried in a
        > > home office reshuffling. Digging it out in the next week, I hope.
        >
        > I understand what you're saying, but I don't consider that a sufficient
        > excuse for not notifying the people who have sent her checks that there's
        > going to be some delay in depositing their check. All it would take is one
        > letter to anyone who sent her a check saying that their check has been
        > received, but there will be a delay. I got no reply to about six letters
        > sent to Lynn and the British people in charge of Tolkien 2005. If not for
        > seeing Lynn at Mythcon last year, I would have had to assume that the
        > conference had been cancelled and that all the letters sent to them were
        > being thrown away. I suspect that Tolkien 2005 has lost some potential
        > members who sent a check and also got no reply, but who didn't happen to see
        > Lynn at Mythcon like I did.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        Ummm....for the newly come among us, is the deal here that you sign up for the
        Tolkien conference (currently at $53), get the Mythcon for free in 2005? If I'm
        following the discussion the answer is yes, only we are going through Lynn to
        register for the Tolkien conference en masse as a society? Is there a separate
        Mythcon with separate dates? or is it just absorbed?

        Or do we just sign up directly to the conference? I've found the Tolkien 2005
        website but nothing to make it clear to me how to sign up for both the Tolkien
        and Mythcon, or why we'd be registering as early as 2001 to 2003, or how to
        contact Lynn. Maybe I'm being dense.

        I'd like to sign up if now is the time, though this makes me a little nervy about
        it.

        Gina
      • Ernest Tomlinson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2003