Re: [mythsoc] Oscar Nominations

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
      From: "David F. Porteous" <dporteous@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 9:57 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Oscar Nominations

      [Oscar nominations for _The Two Towers_]
      > You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
      > director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved.

      I don't necessarily feel that, but I think that the Academy doesn't know
      what to do with ensemble casts. What they like best is the star who has
      been around for a while and then does his or her Serious Role, often in a
      specially conceived vanity project. This especially is true when the role
      is perceived to be "daring" and not like the star's usual performances, and
      doubly true when the star has been nominated several times before and lost,
      or if the star is old; then they throw the star his or her Oscar. Thus did
      Paul Newman win for _The Color of Money_, Jack Nicholson for _As Good as it
      Gets_, and Kevin Spacey for the ridiculous overrated _American Beauty_.
      Nicholson's been thrown his bone already so Michael Caine will get it this
      year.

      Ernest.
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2003
        David F. Porteous wrote:

        >For those of you who haven't heard yet, LOTR:TTT has been nominated for
        >oscars in following categories:
        >
        >Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)
        >Film Editing
        >Best Picture
        >Sound
        >Sound Editing
        >Visual Effects
        >

        >You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
        >director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved. Strangely though
        >LOTR has not received nominations for Cinematography, Costume Design or
        >Make-Up and with the exception of Gangs of New York for cinematography I
        >don't see how any of the other nominees in these categories hold a faint
        >candle to LOTR.

        They got those nominations last year, and since the crew and quality
        hasn't changed, I wasn't surprised that they got passed up this year.
        Everyone knows that there will be a third movie, so that is when the
        nominations will get hot and heavy again. Since no one has ever had
        something that is so obviously a three part movie like this before
        (cheapy serials don't count), no one is quite sure what to do in the
        awards department. Movie One got a lot of recognition because they were
        still not 100 per cent sure two and three would come out. But I think
        the box office has spoken about that one <g>.

        And it is a Fantasy, notoriously poorly represented in the final actual
        awards of any higher level. Fantasy is not serious movie making after
        all *sigh*. Though every once in a while the Oscar crew slips up and
        lets one get through. Hopefully, Return will get nod. Since I suspect
        they will do something Next Year because the whole thing is finally out
        and can be look at as a completed artistic work (though the awards will
        usually claim to just be for the third movie).

        I'm glad Jackson and New Line went to the three movies for the three
        books, but it sure has messed up the Awards system <g>.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
      • tghsaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2003
          > Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:38:07 -0800
          > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
          > Subject: Re: Oscar Nominations
          >
          > David F. Porteous wrote:
          >
          > >For those of you who haven't heard yet, LOTR:TTT has been nominated for
          > >oscars in following categories:
          > >
          > >Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)
          > >Film Editing
          > >Best Picture
          > >Sound
          > >Sound Editing
          > >Visual Effects
          > >

          > >You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
          > >director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved. Strangely
          though
          > >LOTR has not received nominations for Cinematography, Costume Design or
          > >Make-Up and with the exception of Gangs of New York for cinematography I
          > >don't see how any of the other nominees in these categories hold a faint
          > >candle to LOTR.
          > >

          > They got those nominations last year, and since the crew and quality
          > hasn't changed, I wasn't surprised that they got passed up this year.
          > Everyone knows that there will be a third movie, so that is when the
          > nominations will get hot and heavy again. Since no one has ever had
          > something that is so obviously a three part movie like this before
          > (cheapy serials don't count), no one is quite sure what to do in the
          > awards department. Movie One got a lot of recognition because they were
          > still not 100 per cent sure two and three would come out. But I think
          > the box office has spoken about that one <g>.

          This may have been mentioned here already, but the Academy has added new
          rules for some awards (score, makeup and costumes, IIRC--I don't know if
          there are others) that make it much more difficult for movies in a series to
          win multiple times. For example, if the score uses themes previously used
          in an earlier movie it's not eligible--and IMHO any composer worth his/her
          salt would want *some* kind of link between the scores of two (or three)
          related movies. I don't know how it's decided when the other areas "cross
          the line" into ineligibility.

          There was evidently some time window available, but the Academy voters seem
          to have decided to enforce the new rules this year. I don't think it was
          *just* the LotR movies that brought about this change. IMHO, it was a year
          with the combined presence of three high-profile "follow-ups," including HP
          and SW.

          --Trudy