TREASON OF ISENGARD

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 14, 2003
      Am reading this, one of Christopher Tolkien's volumes about his dad's work on
      the LOTR. In this stage, Gondor was known as "the Land of Ond." Whenever I
      read this phrase I picture in my mind not a Tolkien tale, but something by L.
      Frank Baum.

      Passages here also confirm my suggestions offered earlier here that Orcs are
      quite small - about Hobbit size in fact - and that Gollum was dark, in fact
      "black" in one passage. Despite Jackson making him pasty white, and me
      picturing him (I think) that way myself pre-Jackson.

      While reading the actual LOTR the other day, I thought of a parallel which
      may have been explored elsewhere for all I know: Frodo has a wound which
      "will never really heal." So does CS Lewis' hero Ransom. Not only that,
      Frodo goes away to the Undying Lands at the end; Ransom, similarly, goes to
      Avalon [Abhallin], which Lewis has to situate (in the modern age) in the
      planet Venus.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Ernest Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 14, 2003
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 15, 2003
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Tomlinson" <thiophene@f...>
          wrote:

          > I remember thinking a similar thing when I read part of _The Return
          of the
          > Shadow_ (a. k. a. _My Father's Napkin-Scribblings Volume Umpteen_,
          C.
          > Tolkien, ed.) ...

          Ah, the charming smugness of twenty-somethings. Ernest, perhaps when
          _you_ have created a work of monumental scholarly value comparable to
          Christopher Tolkien's "The History of Middle-earth", you'll be
          entitled to make cutesy deprecating references to Tolkien's
          "napkin-scribblings" and the long years of unimaginably hard
          work that went into their publication. But not now.

          -- Patrick Wynne
          (old enough to know better)
        • Ernest Tomlinson
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 15, 2003
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 15, 2003
              In a message dated 2/15/2003 1:14:50 AM Central Standard Time,
              thiophene@... writes:

              > If he's supposed to be of
              > hobbit-kind, where did he get black skin, luminous eyes, fangs, and the
              > rest
              > of his bestial attributes?

              Under the influence of the Ring over centuries of time. This is fantasy,
              after all, not science fiction!

              Gina is right about the location of Frodo's wound, I believe.

              And Patrick is right about your using more respectful language to others in
              this forum. Play nice, now!

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • pa2rick <pwynne@gvtel.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 15, 2003
                wrote:

                > > Ah, the charming smugness of twenty-somethings.
                >
                > Ah, the charming condescension of thirty-somethings (I'm guessing;
                > my experience has shown me that those who are most eager to
                > exalt their superior years and wisdom over a youngster like me
                > are those who aren't that much older.)

                Actually, it's the charming condescension of a forty-something, 47 to
                be exact, which certainly qualifies as substantially older than you,
                though that does not automatically mean I'm wiser. In general,
                probably far from it. However, when it comes to _Tolkien scholarship_,
                I'm certainly more experienced than you; see below.

                > Ironically, I took just your position some years ago. Perhaps if I
                > were a writer myself, I would have stuck to it. But I have come
                > to believe that there is something slightly unhealthy in dwelling
                > on what went _behind_ the composition of a work of art like a
                > great novel or film, instead of contenting oneself with what
                > actually made it to the page or screen. I don't think much, for
                > example, of those DVD movie releases loaded with
                > "making of" featurettes, pages scanned in from rough drafts of the
                > screenplay and storyboards and so forth, and the inevitable
                > "director's commentary" where he spends two hours explaining
                > the brilliance behind this scene or that. Does all of this
                > ancillary material enhance appreciation of the film, or
                > distort it?

                This is certainly a valid viewpoint, and nobody is compelled to watch
                the "making of" featurettes or director's commentaries on DVDs
                (I tend to skip them myself), any more than one is compelled to
                read the "History of Middle-earth". But if one were writing, say, a
                dissertation on a certain movie director's style and techniques,
                then the director's commentaries and "making of" featurettes on
                their DVDs would be gold. And so it is with Tolkien and
                the "HoMe" series. My own realm of expertise is Tolkien's
                languages, which I've been studying for over 20 years and seriously
                writing and publishing on for something like 15 years. And to any
                serious researcher in Tolkienian linguistics, the "HoMe" is an
                indispensable resource. This is why I responded to your post with
                such vexation -- to blithely dismiss such valuable material as mere
                "napkin-jottings" is the sort of dilettantish comment that could only
                be made by someone who has never done any serious research on an
                aspect of Tolkien's writing (be it linguistic, mythological,
                theological, stylistic, poetic, whatever).

                > Similarly, does knowing that Strider the Ranger
                > used to be a hobbit named Trotter _really_ do anything for one's
                > appreciation of LOTR itself (other than elicit a sigh of relief
                > that Tolkien made the change?)

                On the shallowest of levels, that of someone reading LOTR purely for
                fun (which I still do every few years), the answer is probably "no".
                But from a scholar's viewpoint, the answer must be "yes". To cite
                a linguistic example -- it is because Strider the Ranger began his
                conceptual life as a Hobbit named "Trotter" that in an early draft
                of the King's Letter to Samwise (from the Epilogue to LOTR) the
                King's Quenya surname is _Tarantar_ 'Trotter' (_Sauron Defeated_,
                p. 121), a word that (to my knowledge) occurs nowhere else in
                Tolkien's writings and thus provides yet another small but vital piece
                of information about Quenya. Much could be written about this
                form that, coupled with other published Q. words, could shed
                further light on Tolkien's thoughts on Quenya agentives, including
                those that appear in the published text of LOTR, e.g. _Telcontar_
                'Strider', the name that replaced _Tarantar_.

                > See, I have thought about this far more than you gave (or likely
                > give) me credit for.

                Perhaps. And vice versa, I'd say.

                -- Patrick Wynne
              • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 15, 2003
                  " Does all of this ancillary material enhance appreciation of
                  the film, or distort it? Similarly, does knowing that Strider the Ranger
                  used to be a hobbit named Trotter _really_ do anything for one's
                  appreciation of LOTR itself (other than elicit a sigh of relief that Tolkien
                  made the change?)

                  See, I have thought about this far more than you gave (or likely give) me
                  credit for."

                  Ernest.

                  I believe that the History of Middle Earth, Is of great value not only to those of us who wish to understand the writting process better, but of historical value as well. I don't believe anyone would suggest that the study of the early drafts of Emily Dickenson's poems wouldn't enhance the apreciation of the finished works. This is because you begin to understand how the writer's mind worked.
                  The first few times I read the Lord of the Rings I woondered why it took them so long to get to Bree, and hence on with the story. It wasn't until I read the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (not part of the history, but difinetely in the same vain) that I found out that he liked the hobbit dialouge and adventures so much he didn't want to leave that section. So it clarified the point for me. Understanding the writers, or screen writers, intentions can be grealy facilitated by such things as THe History of Middle Earth, or director commentaries (weather or not their insightful depends largely on the director).
                  DCG

                • tghsaw
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 16, 2003
                    > Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:51:56 -0000
                    > From: "pa2rick <pwynne@...>" <pwynne@...>
                    > Subject: Re: TREASON OF ISENGARD
                    >
                    > This is certainly a valid viewpoint, and nobody is compelled to watch
                    > the "making of" featurettes or director's commentaries on DVDs
                    > (I tend to skip them myself), any more than one is compelled to
                    > read the "History of Middle-earth". But if one were writing, say, a
                    > dissertation on a certain movie director's style and techniques,
                    > then the director's commentaries and "making of" featurettes on
                    > their DVDs would be gold. And so it is with Tolkien and
                    > the "HoMe" series.
                    >
                    > -- Patrick Wynne

                    As someone who's done a lot of critiquing and a lesser amount of editing
                    (for a *very* small publisher who somehow keeps forgetting to pay me...) of
                    fantasy and other fiction, IMHO the HoMe books and Tolkien's letters are
                    also wonderful reading for beginning fantasy writers. Too many think they
                    can just "whip something off" and it will be greeted with open arms by
                    publishers and readers (and, IMVVHO, too many of those works *do* get
                    published). A look at the thought, research, and rewriting Tolkien went
                    through to create a *real* work of art is a big eyeopener to some of them.

                    OTOH, as someone who possibly has more contact with Tolkien "newbies" than
                    some others on this list, I've often found it necessary to make clear to
                    them what the HoMe books are--and aren't. In their enthusiasm, they
                    sometimes jump into them expecting to find completed stories and, of course,
                    are very disappointed. (Some come up with amazing conclusions: One said he
                    didn't think Christopher's stories were as well written as his father's!)
                    It's nice, but not always possible, to catch them before they get to that
                    point--for example, at the "I'vereadTheLordof
                    theRings,TheHobbitandtheSilmarillionWhat's next?" stage. For ones who've
                    really caught the fever (ah, remember those days?--but we didn't *have*
                    anywhere to go after LotR and The Hobbit), just discovering the existence of
                    this multi-volume series of books can start the saliva flowing. I try to
                    encourage a look at the Letters before getting into HoMe. God luv 'em,
                    though--it warms my heart to see another generation wanting to travel as far
                    into Middle-earth as possible.

                    (And as someone who will certainly never be getting deeply into the
                    linguistic side of things--thanks, Patrick, for the fascinating glimpses
                    into research in that area.)

                    -- Trudy
                  • lizziewriter@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 16, 2003
                      (Sorry for the attachment, I am checking mail remotely and don't quite know how to work the thingummy)

                      Now... I cannot possibly be the only person here who has dreamed of someday being such a famous writer that I could go to restaurants and not only get away with writing on the tablecloth, but even have them want to keep it!?

                      Lizzie
                    • Michael Martinez <michael@xenite.org>
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 16, 2003
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "pa2rick <pwynne@g...>" <pwynne@g...>
                        wrote:
                        > [HUGE snip] This is why I responded to your post with
                        > such vexation -- to blithely dismiss such valuable material as mere
                        > "napkin-jottings" is the sort of dilettantish comment that could
                        only
                        > be made by someone who has never done any serious research on an
                        > aspect of Tolkien's writing (be it linguistic, mythological,
                        > theological, stylistic, poetic, whatever).

                        Greg Allman, many years ago, confessed in a radio show interview that
                        he had written the words to the classic Allman Brothers Band
                        song "Whipping Post" on an ironing board cover with (I think) a piece
                        of charcoal. He did not know what had become of that ironing board
                        cover by the time he was interviewed, but he admitted he wished he
                        had it back.

                        Tolkien did, occasionally, scribble on napkins, newspapers, and the
                        backs of empty test papers. Such scribblings have indeed been placed
                        under the microscope of scholarship and studied with a grave and
                        respectful care. To most people, the study of napkin-scribblings
                        must indeed, on first impression, seem rather Mad Hatterish.

                        Nonetheless, any insult, fitted with an appropriate context, can be
                        worn as a badge of honor. Many a scoundrel has learned that lesson
                        well. So has many a hero.

                        > > Similarly, does knowing that Strider the Ranger
                        > > used to be a hobbit named Trotter _really_ do anything for one's
                        > > appreciation of LOTR itself (other than elicit a sigh of relief
                        > > that Tolkien made the change?)
                        >
                        > On the shallowest of levels, that of someone reading LOTR purely for
                        > fun (which I still do every few years), the answer is probably "no".

                        Well, I have seen many non-researchers disagree with that point of
                        view on dozens of Tolkien forums through the years. Quite a few
                        people enjoy reading the earlier versions of the story. They are
                        quite fascinated and don't really expect to learn anything from doing
                        so.

                        It's a matter of personal taste, preference, and/or goal.
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 17, 2003
                          In a message dated 2/16/2003 6:45:29 PM Central Standard Time,
                          michael@... writes:

                          > Nonetheless, any insult, fitted with an appropriate context, can be
                          > worn as a badge of honor.

                          "Strider," itself, was not exactly an insult, but was a nickname that could
                          be thought a slight. See the passage in RETURN OF THE KING, Ch. 8 "The
                          Houses of Healing," where Imrahil is shocked to hear the hobbits calling him
                          Strider - Aragorn says "But Strider shall be the name of my house, if that be
                          ever established. In the high tongue it will not sound so ill, and
                          =Telcontar= I will be, and all the heirs of my body."

                          As a side comment on this topic of "jottings", I've seen plaints that in the
                          age of word processors, scholars are just not going to =have= the first and
                          second and third draft, the words-scratched-out-and-rejected, all the stuff
                          they would like to know about many future literary productions.

                          Diamond Proudbrook

                        • lizziewriter@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 18, 2003
                            Isn't there a book or two out now on the subject of digital data frailty? I saw one "go by" in an ad a couple months ago. Should we worry?

                            Lizzie
                          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 18, 2003
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 18, 2003
                                On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:36:23 -0500 (EST), lizziewriter@...
                                said:

                                > Isn't there a book or two out now on the subject of digital data frailty?
                                > I saw one "go by" in an ad a couple months ago. Should we worry?

                                Most certainly we should worry. Whatever snide comments deserve to be
                                made about the practice of printing documents on paper (or "dead trees",
                                as the digital illiterati love to say), it can't be said that paper
                                doesn't last. Papers buried in rubbish heaps a hundred years ago can
                                still be unearthed and read. Yet that supposedly indestructible book in
                                PDF format on a polycarbonate CD-ROM will likely be unreadable half a
                                decade hence, because Adobe will long have ceased supporting the old file
                                format and the medium itself may have been abandoned by all except a few
                                junk-shop denizens of the sort who collect manual typewriters and slide
                                rules today.

                                Cheers,

                                Ernest.
                                --
                                Ernest S. Tomlinson
                                thiophene@...
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 18, 2003
                                  Speak for yourself. We still have 8 inch floppies and a computer that
                                  could run them if we want to! And yes, the last time we powered it up,
                                  It Worked! And that was CPM. And although we no longer have the old
                                  MS-Dos programs that I wrote a lot of stuff on, I've got more modern
                                  programs that can read the files. The trick is to save everything in the
                                  simplest, least formated style (.txt is great), then reading the
                                  information later is possible.

                                  That said, I've done print outs of everything important anyway. It's
                                  easier to lug a bunch of sheets of paper to the IRS audit than a
                                  computer any day. And it is usually the safest method of long term
                                  storage. But keep in mind, it must be stored correctly or cheap modern
                                  paper will start to go bad after only a few years. Get the higher
                                  quality stuff for anything you may want to archieve (look for acid free
                                  if possible).

                                  But I've also recycled my bunch of trees as well. I used to make monthly
                                  paper back ups of the Mythprint mailing list (just in case the computer
                                  crashed). With the more modern systems and multiple networked computers
                                  in the house, I probably would not do those anymore. Just make sure the
                                  data was back-uped on disk somewhere.

                                  I've heard that several writers make extensive back ups of all their
                                  writings on various drive systems. They never copy over the old data,
                                  just save latest revisions as a new file. That way, if they decide they
                                  liked the version they had three days ago, they can just go back to
                                  that. I guess that takes the place of all the napkin scribbles. Though
                                  I've noticed that a number of them, when brainstorming, scribble on
                                  napkins too. Except for Larry Niven, who has had laptops since the
                                  TRS-80. He says he types much faster than he writes.

                                  Mythically yours,
                                  Lisa
                                • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 18, 2003
                                    > Isn't there a book or two out now on the subject of digital data frailty?
                                    > I saw one "go by" in an ad a couple months ago. Should we worry?

                                    "Most certainly we should worry. Whatever snide comments deserve to be
                                    made about the practice of printing documents on paper (or "dead trees",
                                    as the digital illiterati love to say), it can't be said that paper
                                    doesn't last. Papers buried in rubbish heaps a hundred years ago can
                                    still be unearthed and read. Yet that supposedly indestructible book in
                                    PDF format on a polycarbonate CD-ROM will likely be unreadable half a
                                    decade hence, because Adobe will long have ceased supporting the old file
                                    format and the medium itself may have been abandoned by all except a few
                                    junk-shop denizens of the sort who collect manual typewriters and slide
                                    rules today."

                                    Cheers,

                                    Ernest.

                                    In regards to this, I would just like to mention that there are several programs that I have heard about, though I've never investigated, that are archiving older prgrams such as word, and acrobate so that archived materials may be retrived at a later date. I agree with you though that the longevity of paper is vastly superior

                                  • Ernest S. Tomlinson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 19, 2003
                                      On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:50:34 -0800, darancgrissom@... said:

                                      > In regards to this, I would just like to mention that there are several
                                      > programs that I have heard about, though I've never investigated, that
                                      > are archiving older prgrams such as word, and acrobate so that archived
                                      > materials may be retrived at a later date.

                                      I know a little about this sort of thing with respect to old Macintosh
                                      software; I own an old Mac Classic and have fond memories of some of the
                                      old games I played on it. I vaguely remember that someone coined the
                                      term "abandonware" for these old applications that have long been
                                      forgotten and unsupported. But Apple is (surprise, surprise!) being a
                                      real jerk about this sort of thing, and has cracked down on web sites
                                      archiving old versions of Macintosh system software (which used to be
                                      free, by the way.) Since Jobs came back, programmed obsolescence,
                                      charging up the wazoo for every version change of system software, and
                                      forcing everyone to buy the latest Mac with translucent plastics and a
                                      ridiculously twee code name just to run that software is fundamental
                                      company policy--but I'm typing this on my iBook...

                                      > I agree with you though
                                      > that the longevity of paper is vastly superior.

                                      It isn't just paper. The tech-savvy laugh at the idea of playing music
                                      off LPs (you mean you actually stored music in _analogue_? With
                                      _scratches_ on a plastic disk? Bwah hah hah!) But my LP collection is
                                      bigger than my CD collection, largely because a used LP is much more
                                      likely to be playable, aside from some pops and crackles, than a used CD.
                                      An LP can survive physical damage that would destroy a CD; I even once
                                      owned and played regularly an LP that had a crack in it. (Eventually I
                                      found a better copy.) Scratch the bottom surface of a CD and you're
                                      likely to make it unplayable without costly refurbishing; scratch the top
                                      surface and that's all she wrote.

                                      Digital media has this great advantage: they are easy to duplicate. But
                                      of course the "content providers" (when did music and text become
                                      "content"?) want to stop that. This is one reason I mistrust the rush
                                      towards electronic texts profoundly. A paper copy of a book or journal
                                      in a library can be read by anyone; an electronic copy can be restricted
                                      to those willing to register and pay hefty access fees.

                                      Ernest.
                                      --
                                      Ernest S. Tomlinson
                                      thiophene@...
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 19, 2003
                                        My contribution to the conversation about libraries, paper, computers, and
                                        the preservation of same may be found here:

                                        http://www.stanford.edu/~dbratman/pagerunner.html

                                        - David Bratman
                                      • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 19, 2003
                                          "It isn't just paper. The tech-savvy laugh at the idea of playing music
                                          off LPs (you mean you actually stored music in _analogue_? With
                                          _scratches_ on a plastic disk? Bwah hah hah!) But my LP collection is
                                          bigger than my CD collection, largely because a used LP is much more
                                          likely to be playable, aside from some pops and crackles, than a used CD.
                                          An LP can survive physical damage that would destroy a CD; I even once
                                          owned and played regularly an LP that had a crack in it. (Eventually I
                                          found a better copy.) Scratch the bottom surface of a CD and you're
                                          likely to make it unplayable without costly refurbishing; scratch the top
                                          surface and that's all she wrote."

                                          I know what you mean about LP's. I inhertited several of them from my mother when I showed an interest in classical music a few years ago. They were not all classical several were some very obscure mo town and jazz recordings in the bunch. WHen I bought a new stereo, I got one that played records as well as CD's and tapes. I still get people who look at it funny when they come over. Ofcourse I also just recently got a CD Doctor for Christmas. It repairs any scratches in DVD's, CD's, or CD ROM's. It also seems to protect them to some degree. IT only costs about $50.00 total, I think it's a good deal.
                                          DCG

                                        • Ernest Tomlinson
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 20, 2003