Re: [mythsoc] Deadline for current price?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
      In a message dated 2/13/2003 1:01:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      lisa@... writes:

      > I know she has been having problems getting a checking account set up.
      > It is partially my fault. She's decided, after a lot of hassle trying to
      > set it up with the Tolkien Society information (since they are a British
      > Corp) to use the MythSoc ID# and my paperwork for that got buried in a
      > home office reshuffling. Digging it out in the next week, I hope.

      I understand what you're saying, but I don't consider that a sufficient
      excuse for not notifying the people who have sent her checks that there's
      going to be some delay in depositing their check. All it would take is one
      letter to anyone who sent her a check saying that their check has been
      received, but there will be a delay. I got no reply to about six letters
      sent to Lynn and the British people in charge of Tolkien 2005. If not for
      seeing Lynn at Mythcon last year, I would have had to assume that the
      conference had been cancelled and that all the letters sent to them were
      being thrown away. I suspect that Tolkien 2005 has lost some potential
      members who sent a check and also got no reply, but who didn't happen to see
      Lynn at Mythcon like I did.

    • Michael Martinez <michael@xenite.org>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2003
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, jchristopher@t... wrote:
        > I have been told by a friend that the current price for membership
        > in The Tolkien Society's "TOLKIEN 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On"
        > conference will rise from $53 to some higher price at the end of
        > this month. We voted to combine Mythcon with their conference on
        > the 50th anniversary of _The Lord of the Rings_, so I think anyone
        > who is planning to go in 2005--if I'm informed correctly about the
        > price rise--might want to get his or her money in. (I'm not
        > certain if Lynn Maudlin, who is our laison person with The Tolkien
        > Society, subscribes to this list.)

        What happened to 1954 in the Tolkien calendar of publication events?
        Apparently the fiftieth anniversary is being marked from publication
        of the final volume?

        Why not a year-long celebration from 2004 to 2005?