Deadline for current price?

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2003
      I have been told by a friend that the current price for membership in The
      Tolkien Society's "TOLKIEN 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On" conference will
      rise from $53 to some higher price at the end of this month. We voted to
      combine Mythcon with their conference on the 50th anniversary of _The Lord
      of the Rings_, so I think anyone who is planning to go in 2005--if I'm
      informed correctly about the price rise--might want to get his or her money
      in. (I'm not certain if Lynn Maudlin, who is our laison person with The
      Tolkien Society, subscribes to this list.)

      --Joe
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2003
        In a message dated 2/12/2003 12:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        jchristopher@... writes:

        > I have been told by a friend that the current price for membership in The
        > Tolkien Society's "TOLKIEN 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On" conference will
        > rise from $53 to some higher price at the end of this month. We voted to
        > combine Mythcon with their conference on the 50th anniversary of _The Lord
        > of the Rings_, so I think anyone who is planning to go in 2005--if I'm
        > informed correctly about the price rise--might want to get his or her money
        > in. (I'm not certain if Lynn Maudlin, who is our laison person with The
        > Tolkien Society, subscribes to this list.)

        Has anybody been able to get Lynn Maudlin to deposit their check for Tolkien
        2005? About a month after Mythcon in 2001, I sent Lynn a check for the
        proper amount at that point. Despite my sending her several letters during
        the next six months (and also sending a letter to the conference people in
        England too), she never deposited that check. When I saw her at Mythcon in
        2002, she acted very apologetic about this. She said that she had only
        gotten a few checks at that point, so she hadn't even gotten around to
        opening the checking account to put them into. She asked me to give her a
        new check, since the old one had already passed its stale date. (Banks can
        reject any check that's more than six months old.) I gave her the new check.
        Now another six months has gone by, but she hasn't deposited the new check,
        although I wrote her once reminding her to deposit it before it went stale.
        Has anybody had any luck getting her to deposit checks?

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2003
          I know she has been having problems getting a checking account set up.
          It is partially my fault. She's decided, after a lot of hassle trying to
          set it up with the Tolkien Society information (since they are a British
          Corp) to use the MythSoc ID# and my paperwork for that got buried in a
          home office reshuffling. Digging it out in the next week, I hope.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
            In a message dated 2/13/2003 1:01:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            lisa@... writes:

            > I know she has been having problems getting a checking account set up.
            > It is partially my fault. She's decided, after a lot of hassle trying to
            > set it up with the Tolkien Society information (since they are a British
            > Corp) to use the MythSoc ID# and my paperwork for that got buried in a
            > home office reshuffling. Digging it out in the next week, I hope.

            I understand what you're saying, but I don't consider that a sufficient
            excuse for not notifying the people who have sent her checks that there's
            going to be some delay in depositing their check. All it would take is one
            letter to anyone who sent her a check saying that their check has been
            received, but there will be a delay. I got no reply to about six letters
            sent to Lynn and the British people in charge of Tolkien 2005. If not for
            seeing Lynn at Mythcon last year, I would have had to assume that the
            conference had been cancelled and that all the letters sent to them were
            being thrown away. I suspect that Tolkien 2005 has lost some potential
            members who sent a check and also got no reply, but who didn't happen to see
            Lynn at Mythcon like I did.

          • Michael Martinez <michael@xenite.org>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2003
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, jchristopher@t... wrote:
              > I have been told by a friend that the current price for membership
              > in The Tolkien Society's "TOLKIEN 2005: The Ring Goes Ever On"
              > conference will rise from $53 to some higher price at the end of
              > this month. We voted to combine Mythcon with their conference on
              > the 50th anniversary of _The Lord of the Rings_, so I think anyone
              > who is planning to go in 2005--if I'm informed correctly about the
              > price rise--might want to get his or her money in. (I'm not
              > certain if Lynn Maudlin, who is our laison person with The Tolkien
              > Society, subscribes to this list.)

              What happened to 1954 in the Tolkien calendar of publication events?
              Apparently the fiftieth anniversary is being marked from publication
              of the final volume?

              Why not a year-long celebration from 2004 to 2005?