Re: [mythsoc] Oscar Nominations

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2003
      In a message dated 2/11/2003 12:48:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      dporteous@... writes:

      > Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)

      The art director (sometimes known as the set designer) is in charge of the
      look of the set. They supervise the building of the set so that it looks
      right (artistically and historically).

    • Ernest Tomlinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2003
          David F. Porteous wrote:

          >For those of you who haven't heard yet, LOTR:TTT has been nominated for
          >oscars in following categories:
          >
          >Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)
          >Film Editing
          >Best Picture
          >Sound
          >Sound Editing
          >Visual Effects
          >

          >You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
          >director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved. Strangely though
          >LOTR has not received nominations for Cinematography, Costume Design or
          >Make-Up and with the exception of Gangs of New York for cinematography I
          >don't see how any of the other nominees in these categories hold a faint
          >candle to LOTR.

          They got those nominations last year, and since the crew and quality
          hasn't changed, I wasn't surprised that they got passed up this year.
          Everyone knows that there will be a third movie, so that is when the
          nominations will get hot and heavy again. Since no one has ever had
          something that is so obviously a three part movie like this before
          (cheapy serials don't count), no one is quite sure what to do in the
          awards department. Movie One got a lot of recognition because they were
          still not 100 per cent sure two and three would come out. But I think
          the box office has spoken about that one <g>.

          And it is a Fantasy, notoriously poorly represented in the final actual
          awards of any higher level. Fantasy is not serious movie making after
          all *sigh*. Though every once in a while the Oscar crew slips up and
          lets one get through. Hopefully, Return will get nod. Since I suspect
          they will do something Next Year because the whole thing is finally out
          and can be look at as a completed artistic work (though the awards will
          usually claim to just be for the third movie).

          I'm glad Jackson and New Line went to the three movies for the three
          books, but it sure has messed up the Awards system <g>.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
        • tghsaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2003
            > Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:38:07 -0800
            > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
            > Subject: Re: Oscar Nominations
            >
            > David F. Porteous wrote:
            >
            > >For those of you who haven't heard yet, LOTR:TTT has been nominated for
            > >oscars in following categories:
            > >
            > >Art Direction (I have no idea what this is)
            > >Film Editing
            > >Best Picture
            > >Sound
            > >Sound Editing
            > >Visual Effects
            > >

            > >You'll note no acting oscars and no nomination for Peter Jackson as
            > >director -- which many on the list might feel is deserved. Strangely
            though
            > >LOTR has not received nominations for Cinematography, Costume Design or
            > >Make-Up and with the exception of Gangs of New York for cinematography I
            > >don't see how any of the other nominees in these categories hold a faint
            > >candle to LOTR.
            > >

            > They got those nominations last year, and since the crew and quality
            > hasn't changed, I wasn't surprised that they got passed up this year.
            > Everyone knows that there will be a third movie, so that is when the
            > nominations will get hot and heavy again. Since no one has ever had
            > something that is so obviously a three part movie like this before
            > (cheapy serials don't count), no one is quite sure what to do in the
            > awards department. Movie One got a lot of recognition because they were
            > still not 100 per cent sure two and three would come out. But I think
            > the box office has spoken about that one <g>.

            This may have been mentioned here already, but the Academy has added new
            rules for some awards (score, makeup and costumes, IIRC--I don't know if
            there are others) that make it much more difficult for movies in a series to
            win multiple times. For example, if the score uses themes previously used
            in an earlier movie it's not eligible--and IMHO any composer worth his/her
            salt would want *some* kind of link between the scores of two (or three)
            related movies. I don't know how it's decided when the other areas "cross
            the line" into ineligibility.

            There was evidently some time window available, but the Academy voters seem
            to have decided to enforce the new rules this year. I don't think it was
            *just* the LotR movies that brought about this change. IMHO, it was a year
            with the combined presence of three high-profile "follow-ups," including HP
            and SW.

            --Trudy