Re: I'm not making this up.

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 1999
      O.K., the weird thing here is that I sent the "I'm not making this up"
      message at 10/9/99 7:09:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time and it didn't reach
      people (including me) till 10/30/99 6:59:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time. I
      assumed at the time that nobody had any comments on it (and I ignored the
      fact that I hadn't got it either). I looked at the archives and it's stored
      there as being sent on October 9th.

      Shields majored in French at Princeton. Someday I would like to see an
      interview with Jodie Foster that discusses literary matters. She went to
      Yale at approximately the same time Shields was at Princeton. Foster
      graduated summa cum laude with a major in French (or maybe it was a dual
      major in French and English). I remember reading once that at one low point
      in her acting career (before she won two Oscars) Foster considered giving up
      acting and going to Cornell to get a Ph.D. in comparative literature.
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 1999
        No, I read Baudelaire in translation.

        Diane Baker asked:

        --
        Dr. Theodore James Sherman Editor, Mythlore: The Journal of the
        Mythopoeic Society
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 1999
          WendellWag@... wrote:

          > From: WendellWag@...
          >
          > O.K., the weird thing here is that I sent the "I'm not making this up"
          > message at 10/9/99 7:09:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time and it didn't reach
          > people (including me) till 10/30/99 6:59:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time. I
          > assumed at the time that nobody had any comments on it (and I ignored the
          > fact that I hadn't got it either). I looked at the archives and it's stored
          > there as being sent on October 9th.

          Hmm. Is there a black hole on the Internet? Never thought it would
          take 20 days to get a message; that's worse than the Post Offal.
          Wierd.

          > Foster graduated summa cum laude with a major in French (or maybe it was a dual
          > major in French and English). I remember reading once that at one low point
          > in her acting career (before she won two Oscars) Foster considered giving up
          > acting and going to Cornell to get a Ph.D. in comparative literature.

          Jodie Foster would be an interesting person to talk to concerning
          literature.
          She came across as having a real intellect in *Silence of the Lambs* and
          *Contact,* my two favorite Foster films. Wonder if she's read any of
          the Great Three? Helen Mirren is someone else I'd love to talk lit
          with; she can play any woman. ---djb.
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 30, 1999
            Ted Sherman wrote:

            > From: Ted Sherman <tedsherman@...>
            >
            > Well, to be fair to Ms. Shields, she did major in French at either
            > Princeton or Yale, so Proust definitely would have been on the required
            > reading list. I read some Baudelaire in a 19th century European lit
            > course and found his poetry to be quite moving, even the Fleurs de Mal.
            >
            > Ted

            Ms. Shields' French major explains the Proust. We do tend to forget
            that these folks often do have good educations---esp. of this generation
            (many of, say, Judy Garland's generation were not particularly well
            schooled and grew up in the studio system---where I doubt they read
            Proust).

            You're ahead of me; I've never read either. Did you read in the
            original French, or in translation? ---djb.
          • Madame K
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
              Ms. Shields has studied quite a lot of French--it's very useful in an
              international modeling career, not to mention film. I'm glad to see that
              she's followed up on it in other ways. (Didn't she go to Yale?)

              Mary Jo Kapsalis

              >From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
              >To: mythsoc@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] I'm not making this up.
              >Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:23:54 -0700
              >

              >I'm glad that CSL "reached" Ms. Shields---perhaps she'll try reading the
              >Gospels at some point (if she hasn't already). At least CSL is short
              >and clear; I can believe she read a chapter here and there between
              >takes. The one I find hard to believe is Proust. I consider myself
              >very well read and I probably have 49,762 + books in my place, but I
              >have never read Proust. I have thought about doing so because Gene
              >Wolfe has been compared to Proust on the SF level, but have not had the
              >courage. I've never read Baudelaire either; she may have a yen for
              >French fiction. (Or somebody told her to say that.)
              >
              >It is true that we don't really "know" celebrities, no matter how often
              >we see them on TV or even when we meet them in person (one reason I was
              >so bothered by all that ersatz grief for Princess Diana). The image
              >they project is probably not very accurate for judging what they might
              >be like as people, or what intelligence they might possess. Then again,
              >they may be just as vapid as they appear; depends upon the person.
              >---djb.
              >

              > > From: WendellWag@...
              > >
              > > According to an interview of Brooke Shields in the October issue of
              > > _Movieline_, "the books that have reached [her] the most are C. S.
              >Lewis's
              > > _Mere Christianity_, Baudelaire's _Fleurs de Mal_, Proust's _Remembrance
              >of
              > > Things Past_, and _Mutt_ [which is, as she explains, a cartoon
              >actually].
              > >
              > > Later in the interview, when asked what her favorite movie is, she names
              > > _Shadowlands_, _The Madness of King George_, _Mrs. Brown_, and _The
              >Spanish
              > > Prisoner_.
              > >
              > > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org

              ><< text3.html >>
            • Madame K
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
                Ms. Foster is fluent in French--I've seen her in action on French TV, They
                don;t come much smarter than that young woman!

                Mary Jo Kapsalis

              • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
                  In a message dated 11/1/99 12:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  mjrksr@... writes:

                  > Ms. Shields has studied quite a lot of French--it's very useful in an
                  > international modeling career, not to mention film. I'm glad to see that
                  > she's followed up on it in other ways. (Didn't she go to Yale?)

                  No, Shields went to Princeton. Foster went to Yale.
                • Madame K
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
                    Merci, Wendell! Can't keep those Ivy league schools straight!
                    Mary Jo

                  • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 1999
                      > Foster went to Yale.