Re: [mythsoc] Jackson comments, again

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
      Wendell asked:

      >Why don't we just ask him, since he belongs to this mailing list? Hey,
      >Wayne, are you a professor too?

      No, at Williams College only the chief College Librarian has faculty
      status. Which is not to say that we librarians don't teach.

      Wayne
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        In a message dated 2/4/2003 9:28:01 PM Central Standard Time,
        thiophene@... writes:

        > I swear that when I tried this link earlier in the day, I reached the
        > article, no problem.

        I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by going
        to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down. I captured
        the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is legit. to post it
        here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an article; I would think it
        remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't mind, but I don't know)

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
          >I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by going
          >to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down. I captured
          >the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is legit. to post it
          >here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an article; I would think
          it
          >remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't mind, but I don't know)

          I don't know either: some letters sent to newspapers become the property of
          the paper, but mine was a letter to a reporter in lieu of a telephone
          interview, not a proper letter to the editor; at the same time, it's an
          article, but wasn't written as one (the reporter made it so, to my
          surprise), and it has a copyright notice by the Post-Standard. In any case,
          it's easy enough to read the piece on site, just go from the link at
          http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/kirst/index.ssf. No subscription
          necessary. Just don't try to search for my name through the search box on
          syracuse.com, for some reason it brings up only the related general article
          about fans disagreeing about the films. The article in question disappeared
          from the site for a few hours yesterday, apparently a system glitch, but
          was restored early this morning.

          Wayne
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
            "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

            > >I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by
            > >going to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down.
            > >I captured the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is
            > >legit. to post it here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an
            > >article; I would think it remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't
            > >mind, but I don't know)
            >
            > I don't know either: some letters sent to newspapers become the property
            > of the paper, but mine was a letter to a reporter in lieu of a telephone
            > interview, not a proper letter to the editor; at the same time, it's an
            > article, but wasn't written as one (the reporter made it so, to my
            > surprise), and it has a copyright notice by the Post-Standard. In any case,
            > it's easy enough to read the piece on site, just go from the link at
            > http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/kirst/index.ssf. No subscription
            > necessary. Just don't try to search for my name through the search box on
            > syracuse.com, for some reason it brings up only the related general article
            > about fans disagreeing about the films. The article in question disappeared
            > from the site for a few hours yesterday, apparently a system glitch, but
            > was restored early this morning.

            *sigh* I would really like to read what Wayne had to say, but I
            can't get either link to provide a download of the page in
            anything like a reasonable amount of time. (Just as an
            indication, I tried the longer version of the link earlier today,
            and sat there with a book until my screen saver came on -- and I
            have it on a ten-minute delay.) If some kind person has captured
            it and could send me a copy by private email, that wouldn't
            violate copyright, would it?

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
              A problem with the column from the Syracuse newspaper with Wayne's comments
              on the films just occurred to me: Where does this columnist Sean Kirst get
              off with passing off what's actually a letter from Wayne as one of his
              columns? Did this guy actually turn this in as his column for the week and
              get paid for it? (Note that it's his picture by the column, not Wayne's.)
              Wayne, if I were you, I would write this guy and demand he send you whatever
              he got paid this week, since you wrote the column for him.

              Wendell Wagner
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                Wendell wrote:

                >A problem with the column from the Syracuse newspaper with Wayne's comments
                >on the films just occurred to me: Where does this columnist Sean Kirst get
                >off with passing off what's actually a letter from Wayne as one of his
                >columns? Did this guy actually turn this in as his column for the week and
                >get paid for it? (Note that it's his picture by the column, not Wayne's.)
                >Wayne, if I were you, I would write this guy and demand he send you whatever
                >he got paid this week, since you wrote the column for him.

                When my comments were published in the Post-Standard newspaper, before they
                went on the web, they were only a sidebar to the main article "New 'War of
                the Ring' Rages". So Kirst earned his paycheck for the latter. If he
                hadn't, I certainly would have complained!

                Wayne