Re: [mythsoc] Jackson comments, again

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
      A perhaps trivial nitpick:

      In a message dated 2/4/2003 10:27:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      thiophene@... writes:

      > First, the professor is absolutely right . . .

      Wayne Hammond is a librarian, not a professor.

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        Hey now, he could be both! My title is assistant professor!

        Janet

        Janet Brennan Croft
        jbcroft@...
        http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
        <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
        There are two kinds of people in this world: those who need closure

        thiophene@... writes:

        > First, the professor is absolutely right . . .

        Wayne Hammond is a librarian, not a professor.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1430287/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?S
        uite=A33405>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245327.2891370.4259126.1612068/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=719575242>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
          In a message dated 2/5/2003 10:39:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, jbcroft@...
          writes:

          > Hey now, he could be both! My title is assistant professor!

          Why don't we just ask him, since he belongs to this mailing list? Hey,
          Wayne, are you a professor too?

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
            Wendell asked:

            >Why don't we just ask him, since he belongs to this mailing list? Hey,
            >Wayne, are you a professor too?

            No, at Williams College only the chief College Librarian has faculty
            status. Which is not to say that we librarians don't teach.

            Wayne
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
              In a message dated 2/4/2003 9:28:01 PM Central Standard Time,
              thiophene@... writes:

              > I swear that when I tried this link earlier in the day, I reached the
              > article, no problem.

              I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by going
              to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down. I captured
              the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is legit. to post it
              here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an article; I would think it
              remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't mind, but I don't know)

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                >I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by going
                >to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down. I captured
                >the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is legit. to post it
                >here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an article; I would think
                it
                >remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't mind, but I don't know)

                I don't know either: some letters sent to newspapers become the property of
                the paper, but mine was a letter to a reporter in lieu of a telephone
                interview, not a proper letter to the editor; at the same time, it's an
                article, but wasn't written as one (the reporter made it so, to my
                surprise), and it has a copyright notice by the Post-Standard. In any case,
                it's easy enough to read the piece on site, just go from the link at
                http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/kirst/index.ssf. No subscription
                necessary. Just don't try to search for my name through the search box on
                syracuse.com, for some reason it brings up only the related general article
                about fans disagreeing about the films. The article in question disappeared
                from the site for a few hours yesterday, apparently a system glitch, but
                was restored early this morning.

                Wayne
              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                  "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

                  > >I reached it not by that link, which came up with a blank page, but by
                  > >going to the link for the paper's "14-Day Archive" and scrolling down.
                  > >I captured the text and Listmistress Joan may tell me whether it is
                  > >legit. to post it here. (It's a Letter to the Editor, anyway, not an
                  > >article; I would think it remains Wayne's property and that he wouldn't
                  > >mind, but I don't know)
                  >
                  > I don't know either: some letters sent to newspapers become the property
                  > of the paper, but mine was a letter to a reporter in lieu of a telephone
                  > interview, not a proper letter to the editor; at the same time, it's an
                  > article, but wasn't written as one (the reporter made it so, to my
                  > surprise), and it has a copyright notice by the Post-Standard. In any case,
                  > it's easy enough to read the piece on site, just go from the link at
                  > http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/kirst/index.ssf. No subscription
                  > necessary. Just don't try to search for my name through the search box on
                  > syracuse.com, for some reason it brings up only the related general article
                  > about fans disagreeing about the films. The article in question disappeared
                  > from the site for a few hours yesterday, apparently a system glitch, but
                  > was restored early this morning.

                  *sigh* I would really like to read what Wayne had to say, but I
                  can't get either link to provide a download of the page in
                  anything like a reasonable amount of time. (Just as an
                  indication, I tried the longer version of the link earlier today,
                  and sat there with a book until my screen saver came on -- and I
                  have it on a ten-minute delay.) If some kind person has captured
                  it and could send me a copy by private email, that wouldn't
                  violate copyright, would it?

                  --Margaret Dean
                  <margdean@...>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                    A problem with the column from the Syracuse newspaper with Wayne's comments
                    on the films just occurred to me: Where does this columnist Sean Kirst get
                    off with passing off what's actually a letter from Wayne as one of his
                    columns? Did this guy actually turn this in as his column for the week and
                    get paid for it? (Note that it's his picture by the column, not Wayne's.)
                    Wayne, if I were you, I would write this guy and demand he send you whatever
                    he got paid this week, since you wrote the column for him.

                    Wendell Wagner
                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
                      Wendell wrote:

                      >A problem with the column from the Syracuse newspaper with Wayne's comments
                      >on the films just occurred to me: Where does this columnist Sean Kirst get
                      >off with passing off what's actually a letter from Wayne as one of his
                      >columns? Did this guy actually turn this in as his column for the week and
                      >get paid for it? (Note that it's his picture by the column, not Wayne's.)
                      >Wayne, if I were you, I would write this guy and demand he send you whatever
                      >he got paid this week, since you wrote the column for him.

                      When my comments were published in the Post-Standard newspaper, before they
                      went on the web, they were only a sidebar to the main article "New 'War of
                      the Ring' Rages". So Kirst earned his paycheck for the latter. If he
                      hadn't, I certainly would have complained!

                      Wayne